Budget record collecting

name that tune
Joe Murphy
United States of America

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by Joe Murphy » 02 Dec 2019 05:24

This is my first post on VE. I got back into vinyl about 2 years ago--I'll qualify that down the road. 2 years ago I had 8-10 albums. Now I'm getting close to 750... I buy a lot of used records and typically overpay... Most of the 'shops' know what they're selling, but bargains are out there.

As I said, I buy a lot of used records--I'd say 3-1 used to new. Some of them are not cheap, jazz esp, if you can find decent OG copies... All that aside, and on point, I have two copies of Born to Run I bought used... One was $17 or $19... the other was in the 99c bin. The cheap one had a beat cover, but the vinyl looked fine... Why not? I ran it through my RCM and it sounds amazing, even compared to the more expensive one...

My main thought is that vinyl is incredibly durable and you can scrub the hell out of them to get them cleaned up. If a record is not physically damaged, it can typically be made to sound good. I should spend more time digging in the dollar bins for classic stuff I'd like to have.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Dec 2019 14:06

Absolutely, Joe...And they can be had with a little patience and luck! Most of the records I have are used records, with a smattering of new ones thrown in...I have quite a few 45's from 1990 and beyond, probably about 2,000 of the 8,000+ 45's I have are newer ones...But, the majority are used and it's fun finding stuff that you didn't know existed or that you can take a chance on...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 06 Dec 2019 09:00

I checked out a local thrift store and although the pickings were generally slim I found the following
All in really good shape except as noted:

Sergio Mendes and Brasili 66- Look Around

Pete Fountain- Mood Indigo

Floyd Cramer-The Magic Touch of

Peter Paul and Mary- Self Titled (Debut)
(Some wear on bottom of sleeve)

The price was a buck apiece.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Dec 2019 23:35

Nice! Not a bad haul there, Tink! 8) Can't argue with a buck...The Sergio Mendes and PPM titles are favorites!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Dec 2019 09:20

vinyl master wrote:
06 Dec 2019 23:35
Nice! Not a bad haul there, Tink! 8) Can't argue with a buck...The Sergio Mendes and PPM titles are favorites!

Thanks VM!

Yes they were the treasures for me too. Lemon Tree was my mom's favorite song.

wblynch
United States of America

Post by wblynch » 07 Dec 2019 09:40

Hmm, I always thought Lemon Tree was a Trini Lopez song. Learn something new everyday.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Dec 2019 10:03

wblynch wrote:
07 Dec 2019 09:40
Hmm, I always thought Lemon Tree was a Trini Lopez song. Learn something new everyday.
Actually, Trini Lopez had the most popular version and many people including PPM, Chad & Jeremy, Bob Marley & The Wailers, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass and The Kingston Trio covered it, but it was written by folk singer Will Holt in the 50's and based on a Brazilian melody, "Meu limão, meu limoeiro", arranged by José Carlos Burle in 1937 and made popular by Brazilian singer Wilson Simonal. Oddly enough, Wilson had the original versions of "Pais Tropical" and "Sa Marina" ("Pretty World") that became hits for...who else...Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66! How's that for coincidences??? :-k

Compare...

Alan & Marilyn Bergman wrote lyrics for the song in English and it became this...

And later, it was covered by a few others...Here are a few more lovely versions...

One of my favorites, for sure! :D

And more you didn't know! :wink:

mvno_subscriber
Norway

Post by mvno_subscriber » 10 Dec 2019 20:00

Found this tattered and torn at the Salvation Army. Anything that says "50s" and "Hi-Fi stereo" is an immediate buy. Not that it always pans out..

Patched up cover and cleaned record, playing through first time now - second time always sounds better, but I can already say this has survived 60+ years rather well!!
Attachments
image.jpg
(433.98 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 13 Dec 2019 02:42

Found these 3 for $1 a piece, Cat Stevens and Inner Circle looking practically unplayed.
IMG_2315.JPG
(41.31 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
And this $20 box of 78's I have not yet counted including an interesting assortment of vinyl and shellac promotional copies, many country, and even a few children's & Christmas records in picture sleeves.
IMG_2312.JPG
(54.5 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
IMG_2317.JPG
(236.83 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

wblynch
United States of America

Post by wblynch » 13 Dec 2019 03:45

Nice find. I’m jealous of your $20 milk crate. Must be some good ones in there. And Gene Autrey’s Rudolph. That’s worth the price of the whole box. Congrats.

Ripvanvinyl
Canada

Post by Ripvanvinyl » 13 Dec 2019 03:58

Bit of a mixed bag locally for cheap records. I am having more luck with classical (recently found a number of Nonesuch recordings in pristine condition for a couple of bucks each) than, for example, classic rock. I share the opinion of some of the previous posters that there is a lot of overpriced stuff out there.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Dec 2019 04:18

Big B5515 wrote:
13 Dec 2019 02:42
Found these 3 for $1 a piece, Cat Stevens and Inner Circle looking practically unplayed.IMG_2315.JPG
And this $20 box of 78's I have not yet counted including an interesting assortment of vinyl and shellac promotional copies, many country, and even a few children's & Christmas records in picture sleeves.
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2317.JPG
Yeah, I'm a bit jealous of your box, too, B! Did you know Gene Autry is back on the charts again??? Wanna know the reason why??? :-k

https://www.geneautry.com/news/2019/ama ... alexa.html

I have a 78' of "Champion" on Columbia...Champion was, of course, his horse's name, much the same as Roy Rogers' Trigger and The Lone Ranger's Silver...I also have that Jimmy Boyd 78' in the same sleeve! Cool! 8)

Oh, and by the way, where did you find that Inner Circle record??? :-k I never see stuff like that cheap... :?

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 13 Dec 2019 04:39

Someone at the Eloquence antique mall had just brought in their records priced to sell, he told me he used the lowest selling price on eBay so most were bargains, and not much over $4. I may have bettered my Cat Stevens, and If I would have had the truck, he had a rather nice looking Zenith standing radio too.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Dec 2019 13:01

Nice, B! You'll have to do some more investigating there soon!

In the meantime, remember that thrift store where I bought all that jazz on 45 rpm??? :-k Well, I went back there on a whim and picked up these 78's, as well, for 50 cents each...

Check these out (also noted on the fast-spinning thread)...

1. LESTER YOUNG Lester Leaps In, Pts. 2 & 3 (From "Jazz At The Philharmonic, Vol. 4") (Disc New York) (feat. Illinois Jacquet, Jack McVea, J.J. Johnson, Les Paul, etc.)
2. JAY MCSHANN AT THE PIANO Confessin' The Blues b/w Hootie Blues (Decca)
3. DUKE ELLINGTON & HIS FAMOUS ORCHESTRA The Wonder Of You b/w I'm Just A Lucky So-And-So (RCA Victor)
4. LOUIS ARMSTRONG & HIS ORCHESTRA Jodie Man b/w I Wonder (Decca)
5. COUNT BASIE AT THE PIANO Hey Lawdy Mama b/w The Fives (Decca)
6. EARL HINES & HIS ORCHESTRA ("Fatha"???) Boogie Woogie On St. Louis Blues b/w Number 19 (Bluebird)

Nice, eh? 8)

Paff

Post by Paff » 18 Dec 2019 18:19

Bargain Bins don't work out well for me; if the store is worth a damn, they know what's good and won't put it in the dollar bin. So I find myself having to crouch down and dig through 500 copies of Yodelin' Andy Yodels the Hits. It's just not worth the knee strain.

But the thing is, I dig 70s and 80s rock, especially "alternative". And in that era, there were a lot of bands that never caught on even though they should have. THAT'S what I hope to find. I'm probably going to have to be more experimental and gamble on some rock bands I've never heard of, hoping to find that rate gem.

My trip last month to Old Town Records in Temecula CA yielded three good finds, and two of them were literally at the front of the rack. The third was buried about 10 records in, and my knees gave out before I could dig much further. One day I'll have to really commit to seeing what else they have.

Here's what I got:

Peter Case - S/T. This was the biggest surprise find. Peter Case was singer/guitarist of The Nerves and The Plimsouls, who still get played on alternative stations with their 80s hit Million Miles Away. Plimsouls' releases are never less than $10 in any used store (including this one...I saw their debut album the same day for $15). His solo work is more mellow, but name recognition alone should keep him out of the dollar bin, I think.

Nick Gilder - You Know Who You Are. Somewhat of a "one hit wonder", with his #1 song Hot Child in the City. This is that album's predecessor but still features a lot of good songs I've heard on online power pop stations, like One of the Boys and Backstreet Noise. Plus, the song Roxy Roller was played at the beginning of the biopic about The Runaways.

The Jags - No Tie Like a Present. This one makes sense. The band had a hit with Back of my Hand, but when they released a full-length album, it flopped pretty bad. This was the follow-up album to that, and it did even worse. But giving it a listen, it's not bad at all.

I'm going to have to keep looking in these bins, as the crowded music market of the 70s and 80s often spit out bands that had good material but for some reason couldn't crack the charts enough to be profitable. I also think I'll find a lot that deserve their space in the discount rack, and in fact might be worth less than the dollar I pay to check them out.