DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 29 Nov 2019 04:27

banerjba wrote:
29 Nov 2019 03:33
Darth, been away for a few days but I just noticed you have the LP Dorati Haydn cycle. Wow, I own the cds but have never seen the Lps. How many volumes - I see you are on #9. Is that all 104 symphonies?
There are nine volumes plus an appendices box set. Volume Nine contains Symphonies 93-104. My first copy seems to have suffered some hidden damage from a previous play, but I will accept it as long as it's minor. Symphonies 93-95 had minor instances, but nothing terrible. Symphony No. 96 had a problem early on, so I went for the one from the second copy which is playing cleaner. Fortunately I've got two copies, so if a record doesn't sound good enough, I can switch to a different copy of the same record. Symphony No. 99 will be recorded from my second copy due to visible damage that I've known about for a long time on my first copy.

I am getting near the end of the Haydn symphonies, and will be moving on once the Appendices are done with.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 30 Nov 2019 05:26

Currently listening to Haydn Symphony No. 103 in E Flat Major "Drumroll". Only one more of Haydn's numbered symphonies remains after this, then it's on to the Appendices box set. That's the end of my Haydn listening. I will soon be moving on to Mozart. Despite the fact that I have the symphonies of Michael Haydn, they're on CD. I do not have them on vinyl, so they're being skipped. I have one cycle of symphonies by Otto Klemperer (two instances of Symphonies 25 and 40), which are most of the late symphonies. This will be followed by Karl Bohm's cycle, on a 15 record box set on the Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft label with the big tulips and Karl Bohm's face on the front of the box.

By the way, when I get past that, it's on to Beethoven. Multiple cycles of his symphonies await getting played, but that will be preceded by the piano sonatas.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 30 Nov 2019 18:52

Darth, you have the Bohm Mozart cycle on lp? I missed buying that a few years ago. I blinked and it was sold next time I went into the store. I do have some of the individual lps though. I do actually like the full bodied versions of Mozart by Karajan and Bohm, even though that is not likely the way they were originally performed. These big versions are how I first heard Mozart symphonies.

It is a cold, grey afternoon in Toronto, one day before a big snow storm is supposed to hit. Good day to stay in, drink a big pot of coffee and play some good music.

Just finished Sibelius Symphony #5 with Pohjola's Daughter. Fantastic UK pressing on a EMI/Classics for Pleasure series lp record by Malcom Sargent and the BBC SO. Now it is a US HNH reissue of a Lyrita record of Cyril Scott's Piano Concerto #2.

My subwoofer cable has broken in really well. I can really hear it in term of tighter bass and a lot more spatial cues, which can be tricky in my tiny listening room. The Scott album is played by the late great John Ogden. Wonderful record and the piano sounds a lot better with the new cable.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 30 Nov 2019 20:15

IMG_4494.jpg
(122.5 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 01 Dec 2019 15:21

The Haydn symphonies have come to a complete end. At this moment, I am transferring files from my old external hard drive to my computer's secondary drive. I need to have a backup of those recordings so that if the external drive goes bad in the future, I won't lose them. I cannot let myself move on to Mozart until I know the previous files are safe. Already moved half the files. That drive's temperature was becoming concerning reaching over 50°C. Currently the temperature is at 42°C. (It was at 43.) Running a fan, and it seems to be cooling the drive off. I took it out of inside the computer desk and put it on its stand too. I checked the recordings I copied from the drive to the secondary drive on my computer and the files were just fine so far. I ain't taking chances here.

The last thing I listened to last night was Side 2 of "Le Celebre Canon de Pachelbel". I re-recorded from the copy of the record where Side 1 has dropout problems. Side 2 sounded best on that one in sound quality, and matches my latest one. I will finally get to hear that album sound its best after so long. I'm talking about the Roland Douatte recording, of course.

The very next record I plan to play is an old Mozart record on the Angel label, originally issued in the 1950s. It's one of Otto Klemperer's recordings.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 01 Dec 2019 22:31

DarthMaul wrote:
01 Dec 2019 15:21
The Haydn symphonies have come to a complete end. At this moment, I am transferring files from my old external hard drive to my computer's secondary drive. I need to have a backup of those recordings so that if the external drive goes bad in the future, I won't lose them. I cannot let myself move on to Mozart until I know the previous files are safe. Already moved half the files. That drive's temperature was becoming concerning reaching over 50°C. Currently the temperature is at 42°C. (It was at 43.) Running a fan, and it seems to be cooling the drive off. I took it out of inside the computer desk and put it on its stand too. I checked the recordings I copied from the drive to the secondary drive on my computer and the files were just fine so far. I ain't taking chances here.
I got all of the music files copied from that drive to the second internal drive on my computer, saving them from being lost in the future. However, that's not the end. I went on eBay and found the same external drive (which is now 10 years old) in brand new condition in the box! Immediately bought it. What a major surprise!

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 02 Dec 2019 00:29

IMG_4508.jpg
(122.88 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 02 Dec 2019 03:36

IMG_4513.jpg
(142.05 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Using the bass boost on my amplifier. It's lacking with this recording otherwise. I do not know if it will translate to the recorded file or not. Not using the Thorens to record this. I need the mono switch.

Ripvanvinyl
Canada

Post by Ripvanvinyl » 02 Dec 2019 04:17

JS Bach Four Concertos for Harpsichord and Orchestra
Attachments
JSBach.jpg
(144.52 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 02 Dec 2019 23:52

IMG_4519.jpg
(130 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 04 Dec 2019 02:57

IMG_4537.jpg
(116.83 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
I only have time for one LP tonight. Christmas tree decorating in the same room as my turntable caused the delay.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 05 Dec 2019 01:51

IMG_4539.jpg
(115.24 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 05 Dec 2019 03:19

IMG_4540.jpg
(108.56 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 06 Dec 2019 00:01

IMG_4541.jpg
(115.46 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 06 Dec 2019 01:14

No more of Otto Klemperer's recordings to listen to. A big box set is coming up next. Yep, it's Karl Bohm and the Berlin Philharmonic.