vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Your favorite new discovery!

Post by vinyl master » 05 Dec 2019 11:04

spensar wrote:
05 Dec 2019 02:15
vinyl master wrote:
05 Dec 2019 01:36
By the way, are any of you guys jazz and classical fans??? :-k I found this on an odd thrift store tape, a melding of the genres...
Fantastic find VM, thanks. Much more jazz than classical.
I should mention that that video breaks up the Beethoven tune a bit, whereas this tape I found has the full song, is yellow and green and says "Enzo: Per Elisa" on it...Looks to be from Italy on a Fonitcetra blank tape... :-k

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 05 Dec 2019 15:39

vinyl master wrote:
05 Dec 2019 11:04
I should mention that that video breaks up the Beethoven tune a bit, whereas this tape I found has the full song, is yellow and green and says "Enzo: Per Elisa" on it...Looks to be from Italy on a Fonitcetra blank tape... :-k
Sometimes wish I knew more about classical music but, unfortunately, 95% of it bores me to death. :(

One of my favorite french writer/singer (Serge Gainsbourg) is said to have borrowed most, if not all, of his music from the classical catalogue... But I can't tell.

Fonit Cetra is an italian label that started in the fifties and may still be going on today for all I know.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jan 2020 07:43

So, here's a new discovery...I usually emphasize kid prodigies, but this lady is in a whole 'nuther league... :shock:

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 05 Jan 2020 08:58

Go, Granny! :-)

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 07 Jan 2020 23:54

Another early reggae album of the Rock Steady variety to now grace my collection. One of the few ladies of the genre, Phyllis Dillon singing a cute little love lorn hip swaying number.

Don't Stay Away

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 11 Jan 2020 11:01

vinyl master wrote:
05 Jan 2020 07:43
So, here's a new discovery...I usually emphasize kid prodigies, but this lady is in a whole 'nuther league... :shock:
You must get the same offers from You Tube that I get. Saw that video just a few days ago.

Here's another suggestion that I loved:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Jan 2020 02:44

Love Carol Kaye!

And now for a guy that a very good friend introduced me to...Mind-boggling, to say the least! =D>

Ladies and gentlemen, Damian Salazar!! :D

And OH YEAH, there's more riffin' goin' on here...

He tells his story in this video, too...

GO DAMIAN!! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jan 2020 05:35

I posted these for andybeau in the "CD" thread, but if any of you guys like that retro Northern Soul sound-60's beach-Motown vibe, here are some classic artists you might want to know about...They are favorite new discoveries of mine, for sure! 8)

Enjoy those, my friends! =D>

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 25 Jan 2020 00:32

Unrelated I followed a link to You Tube and spied on the up next column some video's for Beaker Street, a late night psychedelic oriented show for stoners and the curious on Little Rock Arkansas's KAAY radio station in the early 70's. It was hosted by Clyde Clifford, who spoke in a hippy-dippy tone while spacey noise emanated in the background. Here's Clyde doing an intro and shout out to some call in's for the new year.

I remembered a song from then that was played often by Clyde. A nice little acid rock instrumental by a band that was short lived. A Florida band that bowed out due to slow sales of it's one and only release self titled album. Fantasy. They had a modest hit with Stoned Cowboy. I remember it well.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jan 2020 01:38

That Clyde Clifford guy reminds me of Brother Love, rewfew...He had a similar-type show back in the day...

I also have airchecks on cassette of this show out of Chicago on WLS-FM, I think, called "Spoke" that was/is as trippy as you can get! Same hippy-dippy schpiel and psychedelic music...Lots of reverb and echo, too...I can't find it on YouTube, but you can hear a snippet here...

https://wfmu.org/playlists/AC
https://wfmu.org/archiveplayer/?show=81 ... starttime=

More here...

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/multime ... ummer-1968

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jan 2020 22:40

OK, so this guy isn't actually a NEW discovery, but I didn't know he put out an album in 2019...and it's a great one! =D>

Check out Alan Parsons' latest "project"! 8)

He utilizes some newer talent, and boy this reminds me of "Eye In The Sky"-era Alan...

Here's another great one...

He also makes good use of older talent and I'm glad he put Lou Gramm on this one, as Lou has had his share of health issues over the last few years, including dealing with a brain tumor...He sounds so good here, though...A fabulous "comeback", if you will... =D>

Finally, this sounds like Alan's "swan song"...If it is, what a way to go out! =D>

Enjoy those AND the album is on vinyl! :D

Take your pick...Black...

https://www.discogs.com/Alan-Parsons-Th ... e/13552612

orrr Blue!

https://www.discogs.com/Alan-Parsons-Th ... e/13532909

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jan 2020 22:47

Also, if any of you guys like Van Halen, this has got to be the strangest cover of them I've heard (and yes, I've heard swing versions of "Jump" and bluegrass versions of "Jamie's Cryin'"...)...Ladies and gentlemen, The Bird And The Bee...

Of course, they do "Jump", too...An interesting sound for sure, but they've been doing this for years...

They did this video a few years back...Simon Helberg and Patton Oswalt fans, take note...

And then, they had their own "love letter" to L.A....

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jan 2020 22:54

Finally, my favorite girl Rumer did do this great Grace Jones cover over the last year...Still waiting for another new album from her, but this will suffice in the meantime...

puggie

Post by puggie » 26 Jan 2020 19:49

Hi all my new discovery after hearing a single played on ....wait for it radio 2 lol is the album by caribou titled our love it is a brilliant record and has impressed me.
All the best
Jeff