Article: the fetish of very expensive vinyl...

name that tune
joedisco
Mexico

Article: the fetish of very expensive vinyl...

Post by joedisco » 04 Dec 2019 20:45

A good read!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... es-soaring

“Real talk: Records are too expensive. $30 represses from your favourite major label now dominate the bins.”

“We could sell 100 copies of a coloured vinyl and not sell a single black one,”. “It’s the same record and the black one probably sounds better. It’s just weird.”

“I’ve always had a gut feeling that during the vinyl revival, labels are going to end up killing it by pricing everything too high,”. “They could end up shooting themselves in the foot. If they want vinyl to become mainstream then it needs to be cheaper.”

“It’ll never go away because there’s always a market for it – it’s been so over-fetishised that it’s part of the culture now. That’s why the majors have adopted some of these silly pricing policies.”

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Article: the fetish of very expensive vinyl...

Post by Bob Dillon » 04 Dec 2019 21:00

Accounting for inflation, records aren't that much more expensive than they were in the golden days. A $3.99 stereo LP in 1965 would be about $32.00 today. New album releases are often less. The QC issues on these "pricey" new records - warps, non-fill, smudges, etc. is as much a problem.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 04 Dec 2019 21:42

If there's anything more defining of fetishism for this hobby, this outfit would be hard to beat. https://www.better-records.com/
This hot stamper promise is a niche pandering to an income and gullibility frequent to our snake oil subject in the off topics section. Used Van Halen record for 300 bucks. Idiotic. It's the notion of supply and demand filtered with a spin of authentic exclusivity. Can Hot For Teacher from that album sound any more compelling than hearing it on MTV back in the 80's. I don't think so Yogi.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 05 Dec 2019 06:33

Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection for 849.99. I wonder if someone bought it really or the whole thing is fake to get you excited. I paid 6.00 for my NM copy.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 06 Dec 2019 23:05

To my eternal embarassment I think I paid £25 in 1992 for the sheffield track record. That was the most I ever paid for a single record. Most pleasure has come from some 10p a go bin finds.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 13 Dec 2019 13:50

For me it is not problematic to give 30-40 eur for album on vinyl, where everything is made properly and it sounds excellent. These days it is not so, you can find spanish, italian etc. represses with thin disc for 15 eur new, which will sound great and on the other hand you can buy vinyl for 24 eur+ which will sound dull and compressed, more near the level of mp3. So the safest way for me is old vinyl in VG+ condition and what I cannot find, I buy new japanese reissue on CD.

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 14 Dec 2019 13:40

I'll pay when the pressing is from a reputable outfit like Analogue Sounds, MoFi, or the Dutch company whose name escapes me.
The Hot Stamper thing is insane.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 14 Dec 2019 16:03

Renesselaerville NY. You live in a idyllic location from what I see on google maps. I visited upstate NY back in the 70's. The town of Westport, on Lake Champlain. That was like going to Switzerland for a Midwestern kid that I was. I remember you too being a Missourian.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 16 Dec 2019 17:53

My Dad, when he was still alive, he used to tell of five-cent movie theater admissions. By the time I was dating in the latter '60s I was lucky to find $2.00 movie ticket prices. And the same commodity has increased in price due to inflation since then. Some of us, yours truly included, do not adjust well to inflation. Nobody... manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, or consumer, ever really gets ahead of it. When I was still working I computed the ratio of key commodity prices to what I saw on my paychecks' 'take-home' figure. I was lucky - the ratio of key commodity price to take home figure stayed roughly the same. Still, when I see a $30 or $40 new reissue album and convert that to the $4.00 to $5.00 prices I saw when first collecting albums, it just feels wrong. Logic tries to convert modern prices to prices of yore allowing for that period's incomes, but it still feels wrong. The irony is that I have to deal with contemporary prices to buy new gear to play any records with, and transport my wallet and I to the record outlet, but the prices of new records still do not feel right. What makes this irony easier to deal with is that some of the reissues cover material I already have on CD. And as my Dad would just turn on the radio to hear music, I can just as easily turn on the CD player and listen to what I already have, which really doesn't sound as bad as some would have us believe.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 17 Dec 2019 10:31

plyscds wrote:
16 Dec 2019 17:53
What makes this irony easier to deal with is that some of the reissues cover material I already have on CD. And as my Dad would just turn on the radio to hear music, I can just as easily turn on the CD player and listen to what I already have, which really doesn't sound as bad as some would have us believe.
If they cheated on processing of material for vinyl reissue, then even average older US release on a CD will sound better. If you invest in a new CD player with better DAC, then the result will be even more improved. But yes, you have to be careful with new reissues on both CD and vinyl, majority of them are really not any surplus in terms of sound.

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 22 Dec 2019 04:32

rewfew wrote:
04 Dec 2019 21:42
If there's anything more defining of fetishism for this hobby, this outfit would be hard to beat. https://www.better-records.com/
This hot stamper promise is a niche pandering to an income and gullibility frequent to our snake oil subject in the off topics section. Used Van Halen record for 300 bucks. Idiotic. It's the notion of supply and demand filtered with a spin of authentic exclusivity. Can Hot For Teacher from that album sound any more compelling than hearing it on MTV back in the 80's. I don't think so Yogi.
I've had long discussions with this guy. He's refused to give me matrix numbers on the discs. He's just concerned with pressing quality and could care less if the program is correct.
Phil Brown

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 22 Dec 2019 15:27

philbrown wrote:
22 Dec 2019 04:32
I've had long discussions with this guy. He's refused to give me matrix numbers on the discs. He's just concerned with pressing quality and could care less if the program is correct.
Phil Brown
I'm sure he's uncomfortable to know of someone privy to the industry and it's standards inquiring about what his criteria is for his business model. If he were selling rarities of a certain quality of preservation, I could understand the pricing listed. Still out of my league. But, the example of Van Halen I mentioned, and the level of quality to what that represents culturally, musically and historically. The absurdity of it is obvious to most, but lost to some sitting on their thick wallets and brains. Hope you made him, uncomfortable.

LN Cree
Netherlands

Post by LN Cree » 22 Dec 2019 15:58

For me it's easy as i'm A cheapskate and really like decent sounding music. But my collection is largely from what i bought New in the 70's and 80's. What i buy now is almost all second hand stuff. Bought my first new record in 30 years from A reputable shop for €9.99 (the highwaymen) the same place that has really Nice records in good shape and A huge selection. Out of curiosity i clicked the link mentioned earlier and my only thought was "who the f**k would EVER pay so mich money for a record? Does this site cater to the mentally unstable?" Then i read A few of the reviews and i guess my suspicions were true. That being said i guess there is A market for everyone, so that must have A place. If the owner can dump records on people for stupid prices all the power to him! I get plenty of Joy from all my records even the ones with scratches and pops coz i know they were part of my partying past. A $400 record could never bring me Joy coz i'd never want to play the frikken thing. Cheers from the lowlands.

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 22 Dec 2019 16:02

TudorTurtle wrote:
14 Dec 2019 13:40
or the Dutch company whose name escapes me.
I think you refer to MoV (Music on Vinyl)?
There are some differences on opinion on www on whether they deliver quality.
The ones I have are okay to very good...

But: it seems that their mainstream product now is coloured vinyl, and although I cannot prove that coloured vinyl is less good then black, I'm not a huge fan of that coloured stuff...

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 22 Dec 2019 17:02

scho2684 wrote:
22 Dec 2019 16:02

I think you refer to MoV (Music on Vinyl)?
There are some differences on opinion on www on whether they deliver quality.
The ones I have are okay to very good...
Music on vinyl and his subsidiary label for CD`s MOCD are at least very decent. For the money acceptable for listening at home, but still some metres away from audiophile grade of quality. But according to what you can find these days on new vinyl and CD`s, very good. I would be happy if all the releases would be at least at that level of quality.