Song Of The Day

name that tune
Big B5515
long player
long player

Re: Song Of The Day

Post by Big B5515 » 09 Nov 2019 19:40

Finding myself unable to think of a worthy daily song since last post, even while listening to radio for inspiration, I'll post one that this morning, briefly broke through the white noise of a persistent headache I've had the last few days.

Either that, or maybe the pounding of my headache resembled it's drum beat :fever: , The Pretenders "Dance"

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Nov 2019 11:04

Bob Dillon wrote:
09 Nov 2019 19:03
I had never heard of Will Owsley. UJ'sF is catchy.

The Best of Jimmy Smith (Verve) LP is sitting on the turntable. It's been awhile since I played some Jimmy Smith. Was going to play it yesterday but turns out I didn't.

Owsley is worth checking out if you are a fan of The Cars, Fountains Of Wayne, Todd Rundgren, etc.

Anyway, since you mention the great Jimmy Smith, you've got me thinking of all the great jazz organists I've discovered over the years...Charles Earland, Odell Brown, Reuben Wilson, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Brother Jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff, Richard "Groove" Holmes, Akiko Tsuruga and then, this guy...

Today, though, I'll stick with the jazz and the song of the day is a longtime back-in-the-day WJZZ favorite from around these parts...I found a promo 45' of the song with the jukebox strips attached...

So ladies and gentlemen, may I present you the trumpet stylings of Detroit's own Donald Byrd! :D

31. Donald Byrd - Flight Time

An excellent choon, as they might say...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 10 Nov 2019 19:02

The Byrd takes flight. I like some Donald Byrd I've heard before.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 10 Nov 2019 20:28

Actually had a song on my mind this morning, instead of a head feeling like an overinflated balloon. This 78, Big Rock Candy Mountain by Harry McClintock, I first heard in a movie and just had to have the record. When the version from the Oh Brother movie, and another version by Vernon Dalhart on diamond disc #52472 became available in same auction ~15 or so years back, I bid on both with an amount suggesting I really wanted them. Needless to say, they are both now in my collection, and while their prices didn't make three digits, probally still take second and third place for my priciest records :oops:

And Vernon Dalhart's version,
Last edited by Big B5515 on 10 Nov 2019 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 10 Nov 2019 20:52

Hi Bob,

Very nice! When I get home to night I may pull out that CD and listen to it.
Bob Dillon wrote:
10 Nov 2019 19:02
The Byrd takes flight. I like some Donald Byrd I've heard before.

Here is an other version of the same song by one of my favorite vocalists: She does two verses, first in French with with what sounds like a jazz piano trio then English lyrics with gypsy jazz accompaniment:

[youtube]v=vr9z0i1fmuY&feature=share[/youtube]

I’

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 10 Nov 2019 22:17

Yeh, that version of Autumn Leaves really gets it done. Myriad other 'sung' versions just seem like so much fluff, even if it is basically a fluffery song to begin with.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 11 Nov 2019 00:58

vinyl master wrote:
10 Nov 2019 11:04
This Charles Kynard track is so funky. You got me scratching my head if I could ever post something so funky. I'm not worthy.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 11 Nov 2019 03:24

As I may have forgot to mention previously, I've enjoyed many of the previous selections on this thread including the last two quoted. Longer selections like those are nice for listening to while browsing other threads on the forum :) .

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Nov 2019 05:04

Bob Dillon wrote:
11 Nov 2019 00:58
vinyl master wrote:
10 Nov 2019 11:04
This Charles Kynard track is so funky. You got me scratching my head if I could ever post something so funky. I'm not worthy.
I'm just glad this thread is getting some traction! :D

And yes, it's nice to learn a little something from everyone's posts...That "Big Rock Candy Mountains" must have been quite a "get" for the 78' collection, B! I have many records like that in which I was glad to obtain them by any means possible, although I've never spent too much for one record so far...I think $40 or $50 might have been my limit, with most being less than that...But, I'm glad I bought a lot of records when I did, as I see many of them going up in value...Still, I mainly collect for fun and for the thrill of the chase and the unknown, or else it's just not worth it...

In any case, since you guys dig the funk, I think I have to go with a funky-as-all-get-out supergroup now...Have any of you ever heard of the B. Baker Chocolate Co.? :-k Well, it was this jazz-funk outfit that featured arranger Brad Baker with an all-star lineup of Jimmy McGriff and Dr. Lonnie Smith (who I'd mentioned previously) on organs, Eddie Daniels and George Young on saxes, Sherry Winston on the flute and Jimmy Ponder on guitar...They put out a couple albums around 1979-80, and although mostly forgotten, they were a recent discovery for me! And...Seeing as we here in Michigan will be seeing a possible 3 to 5 (yes, 3 to 5!!) inches of snow by tomorrow, I think I'm gonna need this to get me through!! :wink:

You can have this cold freeze...I'll take my funk piping HOT please!! 8)

32. B. Baker Chocolate Co. - Snow Blower

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 11 Nov 2019 07:56

Hi Bob,

I did indeed put it into my CD player when I got home. had forgotten how good it is!

Here is one of my favorite vocal versions of Autumn Leaves:

First she sings it in French, then in English with a Gypsy Jazz accompaniment.

Phil
Bob Dillon wrote:
10 Nov 2019 22:17
Yeh, that version of Autumn Leaves really gets it done. Myriad other 'sung' versions just seem like so much fluff, even if it is basically a fluffery song to begin with.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Nov 2019 11:05

Now that you mention "Autumn Leaves", my favorite and the most unusual version is the one from Keely Smith with no help from her then-husband Louis Prima...

In her defense, though, it was the first time I'd heard her solo without major interruption and she proved she had a velvet voice of her own that could sing anything! :D

Too bad Louis didn't let her shine more often, but if you're a fan, check out her individual Capitol albums and 45's! =D>

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 11 Nov 2019 16:58

Hi vinyl master,

That is very nice and I doubt if you will find anyone in my age group who is not a fan of Keely Smith.

If you want unusual this version has got to be up there:

I think it is quite good however.

Phil
vinyl master wrote:
11 Nov 2019 11:05
Now that you mention "Autumn Leaves", my favorite and the most unusual version is the one from Keely Smith with no help from her then-husband Louis Prima...

In her defense, though, it was the first time I'd heard her solo without major interruption and she proved she had a velvet voice of her own that could sing anything! :D

Too bad Louis didn't let her shine more often, but if you're a fan, check out her individual Capitol albums and 45's! =D>

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 11 Nov 2019 18:01

Nice chart here by Marty Paich as well.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 12 Nov 2019 01:35

While I kind of had Bob Marley on my mind today, all the versions of Autumn Leaves got me thinking back to another Diamond Disc from the original family collection. I have known this one from a young age when I first discovered and resurrected the phonograph one year on a spring visit, When The Leaves Come Tumbling Down by the Broadway Dance Orchestra.

And sometimes when things start upsetting me, I must remind myself to try and forget my worries and take Bob's advice given in this first song of his that ever got stuck in my head back in the early 90's and still won't let up, Three Little Birds

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Nov 2019 10:33

OK, so back to today's song and another recent discovery...This time, a little more jazz, but a woman and her flute (And yes, I dig the jazz flutes...)! No, not the aforementioned Sherry Winston or even Lizzo, for that matter, but the one and only Hilary Schmidt...I found this, her one and only album at my outdoor antique show...

A promo copy but a nice, soft breezy album for those who like their jazz a little lighter...And anything that makes me think of a warm California day in the middle of a cold Michigan blast of powdery fluff is a good thing in my book! 8) =D>

33. Hilary - Sundancers