Song Of The Day

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Song Of The Day

Post by vinyl master » 01 Dec 2019 14:10

Well, today's weather calls for rain, grey clouds and cold wind...It's the beginning of December, the start of an early winter and the only thing I can think of is this...

52. Bread - Dismal Day

An early track for them, too! =D>

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 01 Dec 2019 19:41

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 02 Dec 2019 03:48

I've been hearing a few remakes old familiar tunes from my collection on the radio in recent days, and this reimagination of the song Red Wing, a tune I first discovered on a early 78 happened to catch my attention about an hour ago.
Red Wing - The Steel Wheels

A comment on the radio from the band mentioned that they had only heard an instrumental version and already made up their own lyrics before discovering the song's origonal lyrics, I had only known a version similar to this one by Henry Burr, although might possibly have others stashed amongst my collection too.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Dec 2019 13:57

I believe I have some old sheet music for that one, B, from 1934! It says "Red Wing: An Indian Fable" with a young Native American woman on the cover...Another thrift shop or flea market pick-up, I'm sure...

Anyway, it reminded me of this one from one of your favorites...

In turn, I thought I would showcase one of my favorite John Denver songs and it only appears on his live album, although he did it quite a few times in concert...My vinyl mentor turned me onto this one, too...

53. John Denver - Saturday Night In Toledo, Ohio

Apparently, the people of Toledo got a little miffed and tiffed at John for this song, but in his folksy "Aw-shuck-ish" way, he did later apologize, to his credit...Eventually, I think people saw the humor in it and even John himself said it was less about Toledo than about all the boring places people go to...Plus, according to him, it sounded better than Fargo! :wink:

And...To quote Paul Harvey, "...Now the rest of the story"...

https://www.toledohistorybox.com/2011/0 ... ledo-ohio/

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 02 Dec 2019 17:54

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Dec 2019 19:38

It seems as I get older and the winter gets colder, I am reminded of the snow-covered hills in this next song...I've become more reflective as time goes on and I think losing my dad in 2018 was part of it...Music and the support of friends, family and strangers has helped...

At first, I wanted to post this one, which reminds me of the places, feelings and people I never want to return to...

...but instead, the "Song Of The Day" is a lifelong favorite that haunts me...You may recognize yourselves in this one, too...This is the solo version from Stevie, by the way, which I prefer, but to each his own...

54. Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

Here's the slightly faster original, for comparison...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 03 Dec 2019 21:25

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Dec 2019 09:14

This was just another nice song I heard in a store...You guys might know Mavis, but this is a newer one from her...

55. Mavis Staples feat. Jeff Tweedy - Ain't No Doubt About It

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 04 Dec 2019 18:10

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Dec 2019 00:52

I've mentioned this artist before, but I have no problem sharing his music again...In addition to the city pop from Japan I've been unearthing over the last few years, I've been digging the soul and jazz music of many other nations from Canada to South America to the northern wilds of Scandinavia, where this one comes from, specifically Norway...One of my favorite "new" artists, he has consistently released new music (and some of it on vinyl), but mainly overseas in Europe...His latest album which I checked out today (and it's another tour de force from him) is called "Outside The Limit" and his music has that Steely Dan-esque vibe I dig, but then again, I'm pretty much a sucker for anything with a decent horn arrangement, good chord progressions and a lyric that makes you think...He's one of those "guilty pleasure" artists for me personally, he's been at this game for quite a long time and I've taken away a few life lessons from his music...Plus, the words of this one song pretty much defines the state of the world now...Ladies and gentlemen, once more, Mr. Ole Børud (pronounced OOH-la BAH-rood)...

https://www.howtopronounce.com/norwegia ... %C3%B8rud/

56. Ole Børud - Blaming Game

A very underrated artist, here are a few past highlights from the man to get you up to speed...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Dec 2019 05:05

And just for the record, he can play extreme and progressive metal as well as he can do smooth jazz, although I still love his "blue-eyed soul"...Now, that's an all-around entertainer! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Dec 2019 00:22

Now, onto today's song...It was inspired by a recent thrift store find of our own Tinkaroo...One of my favorites, as well...And it relates to the last song, in that the message is needed now more than ever...It was also one of my very first LP's, along with Sergio Mendes' "Equinox"...

57. Peter, Paul & Mary - If I Had A Hammer

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Dec 2019 06:14

For some reason, the ever-eternal "Queen Of Soul" has been popping up everywhere today...in my mind...in my algorithms...and just in my "being", as weird as that sounds...I just want to hear her music for some reason...When I want to feel something real, honest, and authentic, I turn me on some "Queen" Aretha! I just feel like hearing the Queen knock it out of the park and I remembered her cover of this Elton John hit, a favorite of times past...and at the end, you can hear her yearning soulfully, "Can we just live in peace???"

Well, can we??? :-k

58. Aretha Franklin - Border Song (Holy Moses)

Sure makes you think, don't it??? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Dec 2019 11:11

Today is a big day in music history...Almost 40 years ago, we lost one of the greatest singer/songwriters in history...The aforementioned Elton John even wrote a song about it...

I'm talking of the one and only John Lennon, who was shot this day in 1980...So, in his honor, I could go back to the well and play some more Aretha...

...but I think I'll play an underrated classic from the man himself, one of his best IMO...Prescient words, too, and one of his most honest tunes!

59. John Lennon - How?

Here are a few more favorites from the man and not necessarily the ones you might think...

and of course, if The Beatles had made a follow-up album in 1971, I'm sure this one would have been on it...

Trust me, I know a lot about "Instant Karma" lately... #-o

In any case...Rest in peace, John, and just know that many people still love and miss you, but your music lives on forever! =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Dec 2019 05:43

Today's artist came to me in a dream recently...I know this might sound odd, but Michael Franks was a bit player in the dream and he was helping me to rake leaves...I could have had his music in my head when I was doing yardwork the other day, so that could have something to do with it...Strange I know, but I can't get the man's music out of my mind now, so I thought I'd share with you guys one of my favorites from him...It's also a reminder that the cold winter blast is coming soon and I'll need all the wool socks I can get! :lol:

60. Michael Franks - Popsicle Toes

If you guys are unfamiliar with the man, I thought I'd share a few more of my personal favorites from his long and lengthy catalog...

Enjoy! 8)