Song Of The Day

name that tune
Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Song Of The Day

Post by Bob Dillon » 24 Nov 2019 00:03

Man, those Tea For the Tillerman songs sound good. I haven't played my old A & M LP of that in at least five years.
I know every word of evry song on that album. I bought it first on CD back about 1991. Played that CD a lot.
So later I got a "proper" vinyl version and it's fine, but by the time I got it I was on to other things and the CD is what I remember. Those songs on that album still sound just as good on the CD and maybe better.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Nov 2019 05:15

So, I had an early Thanksgiving on Saturday, due to the fact that my sister will be out of town on the actual day, so it made sense to have the dinner ahead of that...One of the young attendees to the festivities had been talking about a song he danced to in a talent show...Couldn't remember what it was, but had a few lyrics...So, my brother-in-law's dad says to ask me, since I know just about every song in the book...Turns out the song was "Minnie The Moocher" to which I replied..."Yeah, that's Cab Calloway!"...and so, I got to thinking about him and I have the perfect song for all you "jive turkeys"! :lol:

Just remember, though, what those jailbirds said to Eddie Murphy in "Trading Places"..."It ain't cool bein' no jive turkey so close to Thanksgiving!" [-X :wink:

45. Cab Calloway & His Orchestra - Everybody Eats When They Come To My House

It sure beats this one by a mile... 8-[

And it must've been cool to be Cab back in the day! 8)

So, guys...Are you cats hep to the jive or wut??? :lol:

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 24 Nov 2019 18:56

I was thinking that Frank had yet to make an appearance in this thread. So how about taking it away fellas. A Capitol number from 1954 with a heppy, peppy Nelson Riddle arrangement. :P

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Nov 2019 05:06

Nice one, Bob! Very peppy arrangement, much like Nat Cole's "Paper Moon", which is a favorite... =D>

I could go down the Nat "King" Cole rabbit hole, too, with these all-time favorites... :-k

But, I'll save that for another day...Instead, speaking of "jive turkeys" earlier, I found this one recently and it reminds me just how much musicianship went into it...

46. The Ohio Players - Jive Turkey

If these guys weren't vocal funkateers, they could've "killed" some jazz fusion easily...Gotta love a tight horn section, too! 8)

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 25 Nov 2019 19:24

Some more jivin' for your jive ass.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2019 02:01

I love that one, Bob! I remember a few years back hearing that one at the Grammys...I think they made Nat proud that night...

Today, though, I want to spotlight an all-around classic...It may have been the first jazz record you've ever heard...It may well be the oldest tune on some smooth jazz stations...You might remember it from a commercial or two...And it has that laidback, mellow sound perfect for this time of year...

Well, a while back, I picked up this record of Simon & Garfunkel covers at the thrift store...For example...

The saxophone you hear is none other than the great Paul Desmond...Well, he composed and played on one of the greatest jazz records ever recorded, "Time Out" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet...Now, Dave composed most of the album, but the one song on the album that Paul composed is this bona fide classic and is literally the starting point for anyone wanting to start a smooth jazz collection...Ladies and gentlemen, my "Song Of The Day" is...

47. The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five

On vinyl...The way it should be! =D> And listen to the drums of Joe Morello...His playing just keeps you on the edge of your seat! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2019 16:46

OK, my next selection is a brand new discovery...at least, to me...I heard this in a restaurant recently and it instantly perked up my ears..."Who IS this???" I said to myself...So, I did some searching and ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you the song stylings of Your (formerly Caroline) Smith! :)

48. Your Smith - You Could've Told Me

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Nov 2019 12:25

Today's song is just for all you wonderful Vinyl Engineers...As today is our day of Thanksgiving, one of the things I'm most thankful for is the friendship and camaraderie of the VE'ers here for all these many years, and so I thought this song was most fitting...Thank you all, my friends! =D>

49. Big Star - Thank You Friends

R.I.P. to Alex Chilton on that one, too... :(

Orrrr...We could also go with this one from one of my all-time favorite bands... :-k

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :D

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 28 Nov 2019 21:06

I was trying to think up some songs about turkeys or cranberry sauce or something and drew a blank, so we're having chicken pie around here. Perhaps some of you are too.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 29 Nov 2019 03:03

Nothing wrong with a little chicken... :lol:

A little mashed potatoes and gravy!

How about a few peas on the side?

Maybe some Cranberries...and yes, we have to let our dinner linger a bit in our stomachs...

...before we can get to the desserts...

Can't forget the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme either... :wink:

Mmmm...mmmm...good!! :D

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 29 Nov 2019 19:56

That's a lot o' eatin' to do there without going in search of....

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Nov 2019 05:52

Soooo...What do you play AFTER Thanksgiving besides Christmas music??? :wink: :lol:

The only thing I can think of and now, a solid 50 songs du jour (at least, for me) into this thread...

50. Steely Dan - Black Friday

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Nov 2019 05:56

Orrr...We can go with something lighter and breezier to break the holiday stress... 8) :mrgreen:

51. Larry Carlton - Shop Till You Drop

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 01 Dec 2019 00:55

You could rid the holiday stress by doing as advised here...

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 01 Dec 2019 06:23

Good selection, sometimes, one just needs to relieve some of that holiday stress with some sort of eruption. This song came to mind Wednsday, after blowing my top for several hours over the mess the animals had made, missing ingredients for what I was cooking, and so on...
Jimmy Buffet "Volcano"

A bit late, but Black Friday always made me think of this one
Bob Rivers - Wreck The Malls

A good day to stay home in my opinion. :?

And, while late for the holiday, a turkey song parody you guys overlooked, courtesy of uncle Bill on the shortwave last Sunday
You Can't Stuff This

I decided to get busy and get a few things taken care of around here, but thought I'd share these songs I didn't get a chance to post over the last several days.