Song Of The Day

name that tune
Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Song Of The Day

Post by Bob Dillon » 19 Nov 2019 00:01

Does not necessarily reflect the views of the poster. I actually like Mondays in some ways, like I like all days of the week.
So let's get us a pick and shovel and go down in the mines.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Nov 2019 04:16

Big B5515 wrote:
18 Nov 2019 03:27
vinyl master wrote:
17 Nov 2019 05:31
Fascinating stuff, B!
I was looking for a video of someone actually playing on a record, something like that silent juke box single I read about in another thread, Silent Knight. A death metal band tuning up, and then standing quietly for 3 movements in 4 -1\2 minutes just seemed a really good substitute. :lol: .

I almost had another day go by without a song on my mind, until going out to garage to take a picture of a old record changer for another thread brought back memories of playing my first 78's on it around age 5, and a record marked unbreakable under normal use, that I broke about 40 years ago and was a favorite back then. Once I could read, curiosity got the best of me, and I just had to test the statement [-X snap #-o ugh! :( . I did finally find a replacement copy of the record around 20 years ago, so rather than post nothing, I'll post the song from that Mercury 78.
Cincinnati Dancing Pig by Vic Damone
That's pretty good there, B...I've liked a lot of Vic Damone's work over the years ever since a flea market vendor turned me on to "Angela Mia"...

The version of "Cincinatti Dancing Pig" that I remember is on a green-ish colored RCA Victor 45' I own and it's by Pee Wee King...The guy who did "Slow Poke"...I can't find it on YouTube, but I found the A-side "We're Gonna Go Fishin'", a song I remember more from Hank Locklin's version...

That dancing pig reminds me of another barnyard tune from back in the day... :lol:

If you dig some golden, goofy comedy from back in the day, you need to check out the recorded output of Stan Freberg! =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Nov 2019 04:30

Today's tune is full of controversy...Well, that's actually the title...

39. Prince - Controversy

When people talk about Prince, they automatically think the "Purple Rain" soundtrack, but I think his earlier "Dirty Mind" album is well-worth investigating...For that matter, if you really want to hear something, go back to his early, early days in the funk group 94 East! :shock: My favorite DJ here in Detroit, The Electrifying Mojo, talked him up a lot and played a ton of his music over the airwaves! In return, he referred to the Detroiters as his "little motor babies" in this great interview...

Good, good stuff and some of his answers to Mojo's questions are very prescient! 8)

It's almost as if he knew some things in advance... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Nov 2019 05:34

Now, on to another favorite...I've always been a fan of Miss Roberta Flack...Her versions of classics like this bring me to tears... :cry:

But today, I'm gonna go with something a bit funkier...One of the funkiest things she did, as a matter of fact, and a favorite go-to for a party! 8)

40. Roberta Flack feat. Donny Hathaway - Back Together Again

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 20 Nov 2019 02:43

While I spent last night searching in vain for a few songs in my thoughts for this thread, while doing an extended scroll on songs of beans, I happened upon a picture that caught my eye, which after sampling, the tune later began playing in my head. While not the mystery song I had in mind yesterday about a bean lover gassin up the town with verses about a high rise building being torn down, and bringing a gas mask to a meeting that I heard on radio a while back, 10 minutes after my entry post song concerning moonshine on this thread, I couldn't get that tuba, banjo, and kazoo from last night out of my head either, so;

I Love You More Than Fatback In My Beans, Zack Slik with Larry on Tuba

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Nov 2019 03:22

I've got one word for you, B...OOMPAH!!

And there are not too many songs that feature kazoo, but I have this one for you, which you might have heard of...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Nov 2019 06:02

Now, to South Africa...When I was in the antique mall the other day, I heard this one from Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon on the loudspeaker overhead...

I've become quite fond of those transistor radios, such as these finds...

Of course, there was this super-small one my favorite record vendor Joe was selling some time ago, too...

In any case, Freddy's song reminded me of the following cover of a Hall & Oates tune from South Africa's Clout...I have the promo 45' of this one, too...

41. Clout - Portable Radio

A lot of pure fun in one song and definitely one to crank up HIGH! 8)

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 20 Nov 2019 23:53

I like me some Cat Stevens. Sometimes a Cat Stevens record is what you want.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 21 Nov 2019 01:33

I do like that Cat Stevens album, first heard it by a fire at a private campground in the earlier 90s, after setting another camper up with a turntable to play his collection. I later discovered mom happened to have unknowingly bought a copy in a box of assorted records, and have since been keeping an eye open for any of his albums I don't have. Today, a favorite selection from Jethro Tull came to mind, another group I went overboard on collecting after a friend asked me to look up Ian Anderson years ago. This selection, One Brown Mouse from the album Heavy Horses had me playing it repeatedly when I discovered it, and still brought tears when I played this link again tonight.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Nov 2019 09:22

In my case, sometimes all you need is a little Astrud Gilberto...As the days get a little darker, more reflective music is on the menu, and so this song...

42. Astrud Gilberto - Tristeza (Goodbye Sadness)

Of course, I was introduced to the song via a CD by a group called L.A. Transit...

Both favorites! :mrgreen:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Nov 2019 06:35

Now, I return to an old favorite...I've always dug the music of Michael McDonald, since I first heard him on a Christopher Cross record...Of course, he's done many things before and since then and now one of my co-workers advised me that he's getting together with The Doobies again for their 50th Anniversary Tour, the first time in 25 years! =D>

https://people.com/music/doobie-brother ... ouncement/

I pretty much dig anything he's on (or has been a part of), and have even found some of his earliest 45's on the Bell and RCA labels...

One of the songs on his solo debut I would consider at the level of a standard, considering the different versions I've heard covered by other artists (Dionne Warwick, Alison Krauss, and many others)...It speaks of a hard, deep truth and is this little gem at the end of Side A...Enjoy! 8)

43. Michael McDonald - I Can Let Go Now

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 22 Nov 2019 18:46

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 22 Nov 2019 19:53

With a wink and a nudge to the D. of Y. aka Randy Andy... ;-)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Nov 2019 05:15

Bob Dillon wrote:
20 Nov 2019 23:53
I like me some Cat Stevens. Sometimes a Cat Stevens record is what you want.
Yes, sometimes a Cat Stevens record IS what you want, even if it's THIS one! :P

But, today's selection goes back to his "Tea For The Tillerman" album...Three things come to mind when I hear this one...

44. Cat Stevens - On The Road To Find Out

First off, I saw the "Mr. Rogers" film today, starring Tom Hanks...I found it a bit odd to see Tom Hanks in this role, although being a fan of "Big" and "Forrest Gump" in the past (and the Carly Rae Jepsen video), I knew he could tackle the subject matter...I can say it was sad, yet touching at the same time...And that song was in the film! :)

Second, I've taken quite a few trips over the past year and actually have been "on the road to find out" more...about the world, about myself, about the bonds of family, and to see some of the places my dad always wanted to see before he passed away back in 2018...Each trip I've taken has been an interesting journey and I hope to go on more of these trips to "clean my head out" in the future...

Thirdly, his admonition to look within and pick up a good book reminds me of all the great authors I read when I was younger...I used to go the library when I was younger and special order books of poetry and prose from other libraries, as my library didn't have them...I'd read works by Maya Angelou, Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Paul Laurence Dunbar, John Greenleaf Whittier, Robert Frost, James Whitcomb Riley, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius and many more...Every so often, it's good to be reminded of things that are ethereal and eternal, long-lasting truths about the human condition and those are the authors that did it for me...Maybe some of you have books like that that have changed your life...Maybe you've found out many answers through them...Maybe you're on the road to find out... :-k

And if you ARE on that road, here's another good tune to take with you...

Everything always seems to go back to Van Morrison somehow, doesn't it? :-k

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 23 Nov 2019 18:47

+1 on the Cat Stevens record again, while I like that song, and most of the album, this song sent me in search of the CD some time back in the 90s, the record was added to collection later.
Longer Boats

No other songs in particular come to mind today, so I guess this one will do unless I return to post another :tumbleweed: