Song Of The Day

name that tune
Big B5515
long player
long player

Re: Song Of The Day

Post by Big B5515 » 12 Nov 2019 15:34

As I've been exploring and posting a lot of Edison records lately, I got to thinking today about a more recent addition to my ever growing "earworm club" I have yet to post on the forum. For a music lover who can find real enjoyment in even the earliest records, and through the fading and static of a distant AM station at night, it should be no surprise this country song I heard on the radio a couple months back just leaped from the speaker and burrowed right in.
The Bottle Rockets "Lo Fi"

For that matter, I enjoyed the whole album :)
And, a bit of that cold, wet powdery fluff made it down here this morning too...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 12 Nov 2019 17:59

Sometimes there's nothing more you crave than a good sea shanty.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Nov 2019 06:55

I like that Bottle Rockets song, too, B! I think that first line, "Al Green in the kitchen on the AM radio...Best bad sound that I ever did know..." resonates with a lot of us who grew up listening to AM when they actually played music on AM...Some of my earliest memories were listening to the AM stations around here and on that crystal radio I got from Radio Shack...

It reminded me of this song from the 90's/early 2000's...

And of course, the hooks are what drew you in!

Today's tune is like a memory in the rear view mirror of life (a "cracked rear view", of course... :wink:), but it's a brand new offering from Hootie & The Blowfish! They still got the touch, I think... :D

34. Hootie & The Blowfish - Hold On

Some nice positive vibes there, too! :)

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 13 Nov 2019 18:09

This isn't something that might be on my general playlist nowdays but I had the LP back in the day, got it from the what-its record club - 10 records for a penny or whatever it was. I remember the video too because it played a lot on MTV. I watched a lot of MTV when we finally got cable TV around 1986.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 13 Nov 2019 18:32

Not really wanting to think about the cold weather, and considering a reggae selection, I got to remembering a John Denver song that fills the need, in a style that sends my mind drifting to the warmer climates of Jamaca.

Actually might not be a bad choice to reawaken that "Llfe lessons learned from music" thread that's been resting since June too? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Nov 2019 05:26

OK, so today I heard a song at a sandwich shop that totally reminded me of something retro...I literally thought it was a forgotten 80's synth-pop track until I looked it up...Another surprise discovery and you're welcome! :)

35. Blossoms - I Can't Stand It

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Nov 2019 05:28

Big B5515 wrote:
13 Nov 2019 18:32
Not really wanting to think about the cold weather, and considering a reggae selection, I got to remembering a John Denver song that fills the need, in a style that sends my mind drifting to the warmer climates of Jamaca.

Actually might not be a bad choice to reawaken that "Llfe lessons learned from music" thread that's been resting since June too? :-k
Go ahead and add it, B! There are many more on my list I'll have to add to that thread when I remember them and have more to say about them...In the meantime, guys, feel free to add your own two cents there...

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 14 Nov 2019 19:05

vinyl master wrote:
13 Nov 2019 06:55
I like that Bottle Rockets song, too, B! I think that first line, "Al Green in the kitchen on the AM radio...Best bad sound that I ever did know..." resonates with a lot of us who grew up listening to AM when they actually played music on AM...Some of my earliest memories were listening to the AM stations around here and on that crystal radio I got from Radio Shack...
Your quote of the first verse, got me thinking about the second verse,; "A Fender Telecaster, and a Vibra? Champ, sounds like holy hell because that ain't enough amp. To get above the drummer, you'll never reach your goal, so just turn it up to ten and call it rock and roll." This depiction of over distorted guitar in turn reminded me of another past earworm from the radio were I saw beauty in a song comprised of such distortion from a album called Distortion, and decided I'll post it for today.
Drive on Driver by the Magnetic Fields

I'll let this group "Go ahead & thumk, and make my day!" :)

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 15 Nov 2019 18:35

The song playing on my mind today, while never particularly a favorite, came from a cassette I found in a parking lot, and one of a limited selection I used to keep in my car, which were often on replay until I practically knew the albums by heart. At the risk of feeling like the one who caused everyone to abandon this thread for posting yet another ridiculous song, I'm thinking of John Hiatt's The Wreck of the Barbie Ferrari.

Maybe, it's just my mind's strange way of telling me not to get so upset about little things like their the end of the world :-k .

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Nov 2019 01:42

True, we can't get upset about the little things...Someday we'll figure it all out...In the meantime, listen to Rob Thomas here...

36. Rob Thomas - Someday

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Nov 2019 05:36

Today's song, though, goes in an opposite directions...It's a 45 rpm b-side and probably one of the greatest things I've heard in a long time! Tell me if you don't agree... :-k

37. The Mighty Moog - Toreador Song From "Carmen"

Anyone heard anything like that???? :-k

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 17 Nov 2019 01:13

^ I agree ! That's pretty wild. I'd be happy to have that record.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 17 Nov 2019 01:31

Interesting electronic take on that piece from Carmen.
Trying to find an example of the actual record stuck replaying on my mind today, I came up dry, but not being much of a metal fan, found a most pleasant and peaceful death metal cover of a piece pretty much fitting the description... at least pleasant and peaceful once they get warmed up. :wink:

Yes, another day where nothing really stuck out as a good song, aside from maybe 1918's Me-ow I remembered from the radio, and thought better suited for the living with animals thread.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Nov 2019 05:31

Fascinating stuff, B! Now, for a woman whose smile alone is enough to brighten the darkest corners of my mind...Her music is ethereal and has continued to comfort me in times of trouble...I'm speaking of the one and only Tracy Chapman...My selection highlights at least one good reason to buy CD's, as this one is a hidden bonus track on her "New Beginning" album and although short, IMO, one of her most heartfelt moments...

38. Tracy Chapman - Save A Place For Me

I mean any woman who can do justice to a cover like this...and then some...automatically gets my vote! =D>

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 18 Nov 2019 03:27

vinyl master wrote:
17 Nov 2019 05:31
Fascinating stuff, B!
I was looking for a video of someone actually playing on a record, something like that silent juke box single I read about in another thread, Silent Knight. A death metal band tuning up, and then standing quietly for 3 movements in 4 -1\2 minutes just seemed a really good substitute. :lol: .

I almost had another day go by without a song on my mind, until going out to garage to take a picture of a old record changer for another thread brought back memories of playing my first 78's on it around age 5, and a record marked unbreakable under normal use, that I broke about 40 years ago and was a favorite back then. Once I could read, curiosity got the best of me, and I just had to test the statement [-X snap #-o ugh! :( . I did finally find a replacement copy of the record around 20 years ago, so rather than post nothing, I'll post the song from that Mercury 78.
Cincinnati Dancing Pig by Vic Damone