The future of vinyl (from those who know!)

name that tune
mgl99

Re: The future of vinyl (from those who know!)

Post by mgl99 » 22 Apr 2018 15:08

reynolds617,

I like rock too, but if you want a really good play of a well mixed and engineered track, get a copy of "Alibis" by Sergio Mendez with vocals by Joe Pizzoulo (1984). Not rock, just a great and well conceived track that brings back dance memories for me, and I'm sure a lot of others. You can find a good 45 copy on ebay for no money, or you can buy the album "Confetti" that it comes from. If you get it and think I'm wrong, let me know.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 22 Apr 2018 22:19

mgl99 wrote:I guess if people want to sit and stare at their boring black box amplifier or receiver while listening to their digitally produced music, that's their choice. I'll sit and listen to Billie Holiday and Bennie Goodman on vinyl spinning on the turntable platter while I look at one of my beautiful Marantz blue glowing receivers. I respect and enjoy the aesthetics of an era that will never return.
Which is cool, but that is the past of vinyl. I think some people are trying to market that past with their 'future visions', but boat has sailed. Luckily the old stuff can be kept running and its good to remember that not much real progress has been made in the intervening years.

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 23 Apr 2018 00:59

I'll agree with the fact that no progress has been made with the exception of cartridge technology and quality. In 1982 when the first music CDs started showing up, it was new and people immediately assumed better quality music reproduction. That, of course, was the beginning of driving the death nail of vinyl. It wasn't long before vinyl no longer appealed to the masses, it was all about CDs because of their portability due to size. Equipment manufacturers will always rally to the masses because that's where the money is. Aesthetics, long term build quality, and sound reproduction quality all went to the wayside to create the "throw away world" that we now live in. Well, I don't want any part of it. The young have shown a proclivity for ignoring the past. Anything that happened before they were born has no value to them. They also choose to ignore the sacrifices of previous generations that have ultimately given them their freedom. Fortunately, my life is not influenced, to a large extent, by their ignorance and stupidity. I've been in business for over 30 years restoring antique clocks and vintage electronics, and I don't think anyone under the age of 30 has ever walked into my shop in all that time.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 23 Apr 2018 02:14

I would argue that cartridge technology peaked between 1982 and 1985 and it has been backwards ever since other then price! Look at some of the cartridges available then:

Technics EPC100mk4
Shure V15VMR
Signet Tk100LC

There was far more technology in those than anything today. Now it's just bling.

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 23 Apr 2018 04:01

You might be right about that. I have a Shure V15 III HE cartridge that I purchased in the 70's that I will never let go of. I just purchased a replacement HE stylus from LP Gear that I haven't had the opportunity to try yet since I'm working away from home. My worry is that it may not live up to the original.

What, no opinion on living in a throw away world?

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 23 Apr 2018 10:20

I avoid the throw away world. I will try and fix anything and everything, sometimes to the annoyance of my wife. My mother lived through the make do and mend of the 1940s and I've inherited that.

swbo101
United States of America

Post by swbo101 » 23 Apr 2018 16:56

billshurv wrote:The 'tube resurgence' was in the late 80s/early 90s. That's well done and dusted.
mythrenegade wrote:The tube resurgence is interesting. Tubes “sound better when pushed” than solid state. But a really good solid state amp north of 100 Watts is nearly impossible to clip at volumes that don’t destroy your hearing. So what’s the point of tubes again? Warmth? If you want to change your sound an EQ or a digital EQ can do that.

I don’t have anything against anyone who uses and loves tubes. They look incredibly cool. And the sound is lovely. But I’m happy with my collection of early nineties solid state gear...

Joel
If your a guitar player, tubes have never gone away.

swbo101
United States of America

Post by swbo101 » 23 Apr 2018 17:09

JDJX wrote:
billshurv wrote:
JDJX wrote:Maybe in the UK but in the US, only tube die hards still used tubes with very few exceptions.

It was not really a resurgence as it was largely thought of to be the tube's last gasp in consumer audio. :)
If you look at hifi magazines of the time there were new tube manufacturers popping up on an almost every month. A few ( such as conrad johnson, ARC) are still around. Many others fell by the wayside, such as audible illusions. In UK only EAR really survived, mainly due to the quality of the products. I don't count the Fatman and its ilk of ipod docs as hifi products.

The revival was driven by the FUD that digital was too harsh and that tubes were needed to 'smooth' it out. Worked a treat at the time as a sales pitch.
if there was a continuation of use back then,, it was not a reassurance in the true sense of the word .. is it. :)
Also the tube amps you referred to were rather expensive and were only purchased by true tube lovers .

Now there is a multitude of inexpensive a tube pre amps. and even tube headphone amps.... for examples.
Also, there are now many relativity inexpensive tube power amps available... . a few are here...
https://www.amazon.com/slp/tube-amplifi ... rzjqxht4za

So, what I meant by a resurgence is that tubes are more popular now then they have been in the last several decades. :)
https://www.lifewire.com/vacuum-tube-rebels-1847989
Again, guitar amplifiers are predominantly tube driven. Yes, there are a lot of solid state ones, but for musicians tubes are it. There are alot of companies still making them, Mullard, JJ, Ruby, Tung-Sol, etc. They have been bought out and are now made in China and Russia, but there are some quality tubes out there. Mostly the Russian made ones.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 23 Apr 2018 17:19

There are fewer companies than you think. Mullard for example is just a name stamped on tubes that also get sold as electro-harmonix, sovtek and tung-sol these days.

swbo101
United States of America

Post by swbo101 » 23 Apr 2018 17:26

billshurv wrote:There are fewer companies than you think. Mullard for example is just a name stamped on tubes that also get sold as electro-harmonix, sovtek and tung-sol these days.
Believe me I know. They are no longer made in the UK, but the re-issues are very good. I use Mullards in my pre-amp section of my amp. I don't think they get sold as Tung-Sols though. I use those as well, & they sound quite different.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 23 Apr 2018 17:36

same company same factory these days.

The real shame is when a new application for a previously unwanted tube appears and someone buys up all the stock. Some TV tubes are amazing as audio amplifiers (think EAR 509). Someone on DIYaudio posted a circuit and suddenly 30,000 of them were bought cleaning out the warehouses. Oddly no products using these have come out so I hope somone has lost a lot of money on them.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Apr 2018 18:37

billshurv wrote:I avoid the throw away world. I will try and fix anything and everything, sometimes to the annoyance of my wife. My mother lived through the make do and mend of the 1940s and I've inherited that.
Yes, there once was a Great Depression...Sometimes, I wonder if this world would survive if they had to ration everything they had and fix everything that was broken...How many of them could handle turning back the clock and having to do that again, instead of buying the latest and greatest toys??? :-k

Some of us have inherited that DIY spirit, though...A lot of hoarding instincts possibly came from that, as people remembered their own mothers or grandmothers scrimping and saving during that time...If for some reason, you can't resell or fix an old stereo or radio, I would rather see it recycled for the materials than to just be tossed away...It's stewardship of the planet, plain and simple...The landfills have far too many items as it is that could be recycled, but aren't! :(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Dec 2019 21:27

Well, the tactile experience is still alive and well apparently and that goes for all things "retro", for that matter...

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/ ... ket-newtab

And yes, the article mentions the planned obsolescence we've been talking about here...

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=106117

...and all the tinkering that goes on with old electronics... :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Dec 2019 01:33

And now...Rolling Stone has put out an interesting article...

Here's the article...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the- ... ket-newtab

And the Jack White quote of the day...

"I definitely believe the next decade is going to be streaming plus vinyl," says Jack White. "Streaming in the car and kitchen, vinyl in the living room and the den. Those will be the two formats. And I feel really good about that."

And then, the remark about CD's being bought by Walmart customers and older listeners...I can see that, especially with certain genres...

And then, one more Jack White quote...

"Vinyl is written in stone. I think if it’s made it for 120 years now, it’s here forever. That’s a beautiful thing to think about."

OK, guys...Talk amongst yourselves! :D

Ripvanvinyl
Canada

Post by Ripvanvinyl » 26 Dec 2019 03:30

vinyl master wrote:
26 Dec 2019 01:33
And now...Rolling Stone has put out an interesting article...

Here's the article...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the- ... ket-newtab

And then, one more Jack White quote...

"Vinyl is written in stone. I think if it’s made it for 120 years now, it’s here forever. That’s a beautiful thing to think about."

OK, guys...Talk amongst yourselves! :D
The horse was domesticated, what, 6000 years ago? Aside from our use of the term "horsepower" the animal is now pretty well irrelevant in daily life. Not so long ago I think most people would have thought steam locomotion would be here forever too.

Playing music by scraping a rock across a piece of plastic? Not nearly so timeless if I were to hazard a guess. I'm happy with it for my lifetime though.