The future of vinyl (from those who know!)

name that tune
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: The future of vinyl (from those who know!)

Post by fscl » 05 Feb 2018 16:11

Very interesting read, thanks for that V_M. =D> =D>

Who knows what will happen to the future of vinyl, it's going to remain as one of my media playback formats and probably the format which I've got the most, physically.

All I know is that I've got a certain level of privacy over the music I enjoy and acquire in vinyl (only my music store owner knows for sure :lol: )...... :shock:

I hope not to be reduced to an algorithm........ :shock: #-o ](*,) ](*,) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fred and some great suggestions to look / hear / acquire into..... :)

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 05 Feb 2018 16:14

JDJX wrote:One thing that is integral to all this is the "information overload" that we all are are now subjected to.
https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/01/opin ... index.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ho ... n-overload

Somethings like steaming music where thousand of songs are available can overload one's senses and cause confusion of what to play... and give one a sense of uneasiness....almost as if you are just a passive observer somehow.

Vinyl is something that satisfies the human need for less info and also offers/ demands human involvement.... and can be very satisfying.
Great point.

Tonya James

Post by Tonya James » 05 Feb 2018 22:30

Here Here!! I've noticed a lot of youngsters use platforms like 'Spotify' to even select their music for them. Are they retarded??? I know it can be a good way to find new artists, but the people I know who use it, are not interested in finding new artists, or learning anything about them.

I have always selected the music I listen to. The only time I really listened to the radio was in the 90's, when Triple J introduced a Metal programme.

I read recently that digital music had become a disposable toy for a lot of people.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 06 Feb 2018 16:36

Technology of a grammophone record (this is what vinyl is) is more than 100 years old and it is still here. It survived a century of incredible technological development, when we started with a wooden plow and steam engine but ended in a digital age with nuclear reactors. I bet that in the next hundred years vinyl will be still here, maybe records won`t be made out of the same material, but the basic technology will survive. It cannot go anywhere.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 06 Feb 2018 17:09

I also listen to the radio at times, even my mp3 player that is fed into my stereo system set a random play.

This is when I'm doing other things and can not devote mt full attention to listening.
At such times, it's for mainly background music.

However, when I can give muusic my full attention and can/want to pick and choose what I hear, it is always vinyl and sometime even a great CD. :)

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 06 Feb 2018 21:47

I listen to radio a lot, but that is because we have a great classical station in the UK. Live concerts most nights, lots of interesting music and lots to learn.

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 15 Feb 2018 16:46

So, how much Wedgewood china (or pick any other brand that suits) is bought by people who need new things to eat and drink from and how much is purchased for the cachet of ownership and, possibly misplaced, sense of investment?

Sure, there will be a very small number that use it day-to-day but most will have it purely for display or not even on display.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 15 Feb 2018 17:07

Dunno, my ex got all the bone china :P

I make a point of not buying anything that I am then scared to use for fear of affecting it's value.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Feb 2018 21:33

They say you should use the good plates everyday...That's what they're there for! To ENJOY them! I think vinyl should be the same way! :D

I plan on attending another record show this weekend, by the way...I will pull out the old camera and show you guys who's REALLY buying all the vinyl! :wink:

Because I guarantee they are not putting on these shows for FREE, expecting no business or customer traffic!

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 15 Feb 2018 21:54

Problem with the good china is i think it needs to be hand washed, but I see your point. I play anything I buy and take good care of it (vacuum clean, separate bags for discs and sleeves). I don't buy to collect, but to actually listen to it. Anything I don't use (some records I take a flier on and don't end up liking), I sell back. I'm a completist with regard to very few bands. In fact, really only one. Even Iron Maiden who I love I wouldn't invest in anything after Seventh Son because I simply wouldn't listen to it.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Feb 2018 04:46

Here are Frank's thoughts on the future of vinyl...and CD's, too! :-k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 27 Feb 2018 15:05

vinyl master wrote:Here are Frank's thoughts on the future of vinyl...and CD's, too! :-k

I like Frank's videos.

He doesn't claim to be an expert or audiophile, just an everyday Joe who has been enjoying and collecting records for a long time,and he has honest advice. =D>

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 27 Feb 2018 21:53

Same here. I don't always agree with his practices, but he's always interesting. Makes me think I could just about make one of these videos if I knew how to edit and add some effects.

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 22 Apr 2018 08:36

I guess if people want to sit and stare at their boring black box amplifier or receiver while listening to their digitally produced music, that's their choice. I'll sit and listen to Billie Holiday and Bennie Goodman on vinyl spinning on the turntable platter while I look at one of my beautiful Marantz blue glowing receivers. I respect and enjoy the aesthetics of an era that will never return. I restore, collect and sell old antique clocks and radios. I restore my own vintage gear from the 70's and early 80's. It makes me happy, and that's all that is important to me.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 22 Apr 2018 14:35

mgl99 wrote:I guess if people want to sit and stare at their boring black box amplifier or receiver while listening to their digitally produced music, that's their choice. I'll sit and listen to Billie Holiday and Bennie Goodman on vinyl spinning on the turntable platter while I look at one of my beautiful Marantz blue glowing receivers. I respect and enjoy the aesthetics of an era that will never return. I restore, collect and sell old antique clocks and radios. I restore my own vintage gear from the 70's and early 80's. It makes me happy, and that's all that is important to me.
Good on you! I believe a portion of the appeal of this hobby IS visual. I love the way my deck, amp and speakers all look. I'm not sitting there with my eyes closed most of the time. And if you'd care to PM me any recommendations for Billie Holiday pressings, I'd love to hear them; I've been looking to expand beyond rock. : 8)