Odd stuff you find in the record racks

anything and nothing
Kurt45
United States of America

Re: Odd stuff you find in the record racks...

Post by Kurt45 » 07 Jan 2018 20:44

Just took this down from the tree before it went out to the sidewalk. It's an EP of the Robert Shaw Chorale's "Christmas Hymns And Carols" whose sleeve doubles as a Christmas ornament!

The LP versions (Volumes I & II) are some of my favorite records of traditional Xmas music.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Jan 2018 04:16

Nice find there, Kurt! I've seen some unusual record sleeves, but that one is new to me! =D>

Talk about doing double duty!! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Jan 2018 05:24

OK, then...If you guys are willing to put up with the latest installment of Vinyl Master's "Weird And Wonderful Odyssey Through Thrift Store Americana" :roll: , I might as well show you my latest unusual thrifting scores over the past few weeks! There are some eye-opening oddities, to say the least... :-k

Let me say off the bat that I don't know that much about these items, only to say that they are unusual...If you have any more information you could share about them, by all means, feel free...Now, on with the show! :D

First up is a record by Val Doonican called "I Was Born Ten Thousand Years Ago"...I'm not sure if it was a hit anywhere, but an interesting novelty nonetheless...

Then, I have a couple of "storybook" records on the Century 21 label...I'm sure this is not a real estate-affiliated enterprise, either...

Maybe you Brits can help me here...This looks like a "football" record...Of course, what you call football and what we Americans call "football" are two different things! :-k Was this a hit across the pond?

Here is a record I know nothing about, but maybe the Brits can help me again...One side features the sounds of London Airport (Would that be Heathrow now? :-k)...

This was a bonus record...The infamous Dr. Hook "stimu" featured in copies of their album, "Bankrupt!"...I believe I have the sleeve for it already...

...Just needed a better copy of the record...

This one looks like it was a promo advertisement for some sleeping pill? Am I right? :-k

Here is another similar record from the Upjohn Pharmaceutical Corporation...Another promo advertisement? :-k

Now, I actually DO have an avatar...An Avatar record, to be exact... :oops:

Who has ever heard of the Arp Avatar? :-k

Then, this looks like one of those "cereal box records", but with a story attached...It needs a good cleaning, but interesting, to say the least...

Now, this one is totally alien to me! :lol:

Well, that's all, folks...Um, not quite...

I also found a few 78's...This looks to be part of a 2-record set put out for Mel Blanc, the voice of such iconic cartoon characters as Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, Sylvester, Tweety Bird, Speedy Gonzalez and even Barney Rubble, Mr. Spacely AND Wody Woodpecker, as well as the guy on this record, Mr. Bugs Bunny!

We also have a few unusual children's records...

More nursery rhymes...

If you think that's all, well...not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin! :wink:

Here's one for a "Toy Parade"...

Incidentally, "The Toy Parade" is the name of the iconic tune heard here that some of you might remember...

Now, this may not be the only time that the North and South were ever united on something, but it is notable that one side features "Dixie" and the other side, "Yankee Doodle"! And it really IS a "Golden" record! :-k

I also came across this Victrola record from the Victor Company...

The words "Victor" are etched on the back...

And since I am a fan of these guys, I wonder what would happen if I mailed this in...Looks to be a "fan club insert"...Apparently, you send them $8.00 and all sorts of paraphernalia will be sent your way...Of course, I'm sure ACTUAL "doobies" were out of the question... :-k

You might think I'm having a "wet dream" here, but I'd "gill" to find more of his records, especially if they're under a "fin" like this one was!

Yes, that pun was on "porpoise"... :P

A Dr. Demento favorite, nonetheless!

In any case, I spent a lovely day scouring the thrift stores recently...

Who knows what I'll find the next time out??? :-k I do know that I will keep searching out the odd thrifts, because I'm just nuts that way! :crazy: And I do like a good mystery! :-k

At least, a few "mystery" records! :)

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 08 Jan 2018 14:57

That was a fun read, VM. I like the artwork on the labels of those children's records. And that design on the back of the Victor record. Interesting stuff!

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 14 Jan 2018 16:14

vinyl master wrote:
Finally, I did find this little sign in with the records, too...Why not? A little unusual kitsch never hurt anyone, did it? :-k

And that's my "sign" to "stop" right here, folks! :wink: So, if any of you guys got some good pics of your OWN unusual finds, by all means, share them here...I know you guys have found some interesting things in the record racks, too, and I shouldn't be having all the fun, should I? :-k :lol:
On the Stop Sign, and Knock 3 times, it's "Twice on the Pipe, if the answer is NO" And here in Tennessee, we prefer Billy "Crash" Craddock's fine Cartwheel country cover version on 45 RPM.

Kurt45
United States of America

Re: Odd stuff you find in the record racks

Post by Kurt45 » 19 Jan 2018 13:58

I found this while packing up records for my move yesterday. It's a postcard of Kecskemét, Hungary that doubles as a 45 RPM record. I presume I got it at the Salvation Army.

The song is posted on youtube, but I'm not able to figure out how to post the link (I keep getting a warning about not posting more than one youtube link).

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Jan 2018 02:30

Kurt45 wrote:I found this while packing up records for my move yesterday. It's a postcard of Kecskemét, Hungary that doubles as a 45 RPM record. I presume I got it at the Salvation Army.

The song is posted on youtube, but I'm not able to figure out how to post the link (I keep getting a warning about not posting more than one youtube link).
Sounds interesting, Kurt...I might have a postcard record of similar European origin from the Dutch College Swing Band...There are all kinds of weird and wonderful things in my collection! :D

If you want to post the link, just do it in a separate post...I think it's down to one YouTube link per post with the YouTube button...

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 20 Jan 2018 18:56

vinyl master wrote: If you want to post the link, just do it in a separate post...I think it's down to one YouTube link per post with the YouTube button...
I was posting just the one link - I think maybe the two photo links threw things off?

Here it is for those who love Hungarian music:

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 03 Feb 2018 21:26

Still unpacking/moving into the new place and finding things for this thread. I keep an old classroom record player for playing curiosities like this.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Feb 2018 23:31

Here are but a few more odd records I found in my recent outings...

I flipping flipped when I saw this Flip 45'...

What was on the flip of the Flip 45' I flipped over? MORE FLIP! ](*,)

And then, how about a little Jack Daniels with your music? :drunk:

No, seriously...The artist IS Jack Daniels! :lol:

The two oddest ones, though, might be these, which I never expected to find in a THRIFT STORE!

First, a bona fide classic Northern Soul dance tune out of Detroit! 8) A little beat-up with a permanent chip to bear, but so are many Detroiters...And yet, still a survivor! :D

And then, one of the funkiest blaxploitation soundtracks ever made...One of Isaac's masterworks! :mrgreen:

Gives Lawrence Welk and Mantovani a run for their money ANYDAY! =D>

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 01 Mar 2018 13:59

I hadn't heard of Truck Turner. It has Yaphet Kotto, Nichelle Nichols, and Scatman Crothers, too.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Mar 2018 03:43

Kurt45 wrote:I hadn't heard of Truck Turner. It has Yaphet Kotto, Nichelle Nichols, and Scatman Crothers, too.
Good film! You should check it out if you're into strange cult and/or blaxploitation films (i.e. "Cleopatra Jones", "Coffy", "Foxy Brown", "Trouble Man", "Across 110th Street" (which coincidentally also starred Yaphet Kotto), etc.)... Somewhere I have one of Yaphet's 45's, too...

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 08 Mar 2018 15:15

Just found this at the thrift shop the other day. I don't see these recordable discs very often, so I always pick them up. I got interested in these because my grandparents left behind a large set of Recordio discs.

When I first saw this, I thought maybe there was a recording booth at Disneyland at one time, and you went in and recorded yourself singing a Disney tune. Then I got it home and found it was the commercial recording of Tommy Steele singing Fortuosity from "The Happiest Millionaire." It was released as a 7" single, so I'm wondering why someone would want/need to record it onto an Audiodisc. Maybe there was an on-demand record booth where you burned a disc of your favorite song? Seems easier just to sell the manufactured single. Any ideas? Other side is blank.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Apr 2018 12:46

OK, so it was back to the thrift stores once again...A local St. Vincent De Paul, where I have found a lot of children's records and recently came home with a stash of old county records...and then, a local Sally Ann, where I bought my Sherwood receiver...There was no decent audio stuff today, but at the St. Vincent De Paul, I did come across a nice, intact Sony HP-138 turntable for $6.99...It would've made a fun, cheap project (and you just don't see many turntables nowadays in the thrifts), but I'm being more and more selective...In any case, I did pick up some interesting items...At the St. V de P, I found this hiding in with the boxes of records...

Looks to be a spice rack, but creative as I am, I can imagine turning it into a unique lamp possibly...maybe glue some colored glass to the inside and make a candleholder...As I've said before, I hate to throw interesting items away...

Which reminds me, I also found another one of these...

I have been seeing these old wire record racks often lately...If you guys want a challenge, give me some ideas of ways I can re-purpose them...I was thinking that, for one, it might make for a good letter/bill holder, but I'll take any suggestions!

I did happen to find some records, too...Here is a sample of some of the kiddie records I picked up...I counted 32 small records when all was said and done...One of them even featured Bing Crosby on it...

Anyone ever craft anything out of those? Or for that matter, does anyone collect these types of recordings out there? :-k

Here's another interesting cereal-related record, like the Raisin Bran one I noted earlier...

I don't know much about it, so any info would be appreciated...

I like to collect those little flexi-discs, too, for fun, and happened to find these...

Burger Chef used to be a fast-food joint here at one time...Check out this commercial of theirs starring Eve Plumb ("Jan Brady")...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn_H5wCd1b0

Here's an interesting one about how to prevent tooth decay...

Found this Andy Williams EP buried in there, too...

I picked up a few 78's, too...This one is the first white label promo I've seen on 78'...

Decidedly a pop tune...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-OqcOzaWg

I found this bluesy jazz tune, too...I hear she was slightly risque for her time, as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq98BQ7E7Bk

Then, another early R&B/jazz tune...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUY8XtieKLQ

Finally, one more pop tune...Never heard of Phil Brito and I always take chances on unknown 78's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqAuS5_RHOM

Heavenly, eh? :-k

Anyway, I also checked out that Sally Ann and came away with a bunch of 45's and a few LP's...

Plus, I love finding these little books...

I also find it interesting to read what records were originally housed in them, as well...It shows some care when the original owner takes the time to write out the titles of all the a- and b-sides!

Regarding the LP's, I found this interesting one from the late Etta James...

Here's a colorful one from Perez Prado...

And I even picked up a couple of classical records from the likes of Beethoven and Handel, respectively...

I found THIS mixed up in with the records, too...How lovely! I'm sure somebody's mother appreciated the effort!

As I said, certainly an odd item to find mixed in with the records!

There were a few 45's, too...

An EP from a rare 80's band...Good song, too! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCSJwsr6xR8

Some Northern Soul again with this funky one on the Toddlin' Town label...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwmQZCKe-E0

Found this Elvis Presley EP, too, from the film, "Loving You"...

Here's one from the Canadian rockers Trooper, known for their hits "We're Here For A Good Time" and "Raise A Little Hell", among others...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58OKriFQyU

Here's a 60's flashback from The Happenings, who had a hit with "See You In September"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoC_20s4Lo

Here's another interesting one from them, from around the same time period...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok9sqmKZ6-8

And a country record I know nothing about...

I found a few more common records...Better copies of Rose Royce's "Car Wash" and Anita Ward's "Ring My Bell", among others...I also found a few other 45's from Mama Cass, Johnny Nash and Lonnie Mack, as well...

It's always an interesting time when I go to the thrift stores because I never know what I will see there...It's a total crapshoot sometimes! 8-[

There's bound to be something for everyone, though!

By the way, if any of you guys have found similar items in your travels, by all means, share them here! =D>

Otherwise, until the next time, stay "tuned"! :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Apr 2018 04:10

vinyl master wrote:...a stash of old county records...
Sorry, meant to say COUNTRY... :oops:

No old government documents here... :lol:

Would be wild if I found something like that in the record bins, though... :-k