Odd stuff you find in the record racks

anything and nothing
Big B5515
long player
long player

Re: Odd stuff you find in the record racks

Post by Big B5515 » 25 Jun 2019 05:32

Just getting started checking out a few records out of a box of free records from Jerrys I picked up last month, I came across a few somewhat odd items that judging from the price tags, at least once were in their record racks.

One of my first choices I listened to was Charlie McCoy's greatest hits, which I found enjoyable, even if mostly Harmonica covers, as there were two more albums by him as well. Inside the second, "Fastest Harp In the South" I found a 7" 33rpm interview bonus record, an autographed? photo from the fan club, newspaper clipping from Feb 28 1974 mentioning the artist, a mimeographed page by Charlie titled "A Few Tips On The Harmonica" and another page listing keys and harp notes on songs from this and another album, the Nashville Hit Man
IMG_2205.JPG
(157.26 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
And, while the Melanie album itself seems to be common, the pressing on this one, is a Taiwanese "First Record" which I found no listing for this title \ label, and from my research, a label name of questionable legitimacy, but supposedly was legal there in Taiwan anyway.
IMG_2206.JPG
(203.16 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 25 Jun 2019 08:25

Hi Big,
I’m sure that the Melanie album, when issued here in the UK had a “scratch and sniff” cover, may have been a limited edition, can’t recall for certain, long time ago :)
Anyway there may just be some lingering hint of fragrance from the Garden in the City.

Paul

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jun 2019 19:59

Interesting finds there, B! I found a similar album of "Woodstock" tunes some time back in the moldy barn stash of my "basement guru"! :)

I spoke about that here, too...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=78509

A Taiwanese issue, eh? :-k

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 25 Jun 2019 20:14

No fragrance to this First Record cover, only a thin paper print of the cover art, wrapped with shrink wrap inside and out, then folded in half, and fused on one edge to hold loose edge of plastic in place. It may have been fused on top as well at some point, but now is open on two sides. The company catered to service men I understand with mostly American and Japanese releases. The Charlie McCoy album, while unsure, I suspect had some extra items from the fan club, etc. stashed inside, as I found no mention anywhere of them being included with the album. I thought maybe someone else with more knowledge of Charlie's music might know more.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Nov 2019 14:48

I found some odd stuff in the record racks again...I visited a couple of my infamous thrift stores and came away with these...

At my first stop, all I found was a CD copy of Hubert Laws' album, "My Time Will Come"...

But, at the next one, I picked up...

1. Deborah Parducci's "Hang A Guitar On The Wall And Other Suggestions" on the Parducci label...A parody EP featuring songs like "Hang A Guitar On The Wall", "One Teenager's Lament" and "Up Los Angeles"...

2. An EP called "Lady In The Dark" by English actress Gertrude Lawrence...She has quite an interesting story, too...

3. The "Songs For Children" album on the Somerset label, which I bought for the cover, featuring a young lad playing records on a record player, similar to this Silvertone I saw this past summer...

4. A private press spoken word/jazz/beatnik poetry album by Charles Embree entitled "Room At The Bottom"...

5. "Johnny Mercer Sings Just For Fun" on the Jupiter label...

and finally, a couple of promotional freebies...

6. Two copies of George Feyer's "Continental Echoes", which feature a bunch of tunes, played at the introduction of the Lincoln Continental Mark II automobile...A fascinating bit of American automotive and recording history...

Again, one never knows what they might find, but it's always fun to go a-lookin'... :wink: