Odd stuff you find in the record racks

anything and nothing
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Odd stuff you find in the record racks...

Post by vinyl master » 26 Oct 2017 21:49

Hey, guys...I mentioned this on a previous thread, but I thought this could be an interesting place to show off some of our more unusual finds that we've encountered in the record racks at the thrift stores, antique shops, flea markets, etc. If you've found any odd or unusual items, why not show them here? :-k

In any case, I will start with FIVE items that I have found in the record racks, some recent finds and others older, but all unique...

It all started when I mentioned recently that I found this unusual "twist exerciser" hidden among the records at one of my local thrift shops...A new one I'd never been to!

Member Kurt45 suggested that we should have a thread documenting some of this stuff, so I will oblige him and show you FOUR more unusual items...

First, as I was looking through the records at my "10 cent" thrift shop recently, I found this rubber platter mat hiding in with the albums...A little clean-up and I might be able to use it on another table...

Then, I mentioned to Kurt about finding this odd Queen 45 videodisc some time ago in another thrift store, a local Sally Ann...It came out for the album, "The Works" and features four videos for "Radio Gaga", "I Want To Break Free", "It's A Hard Life" and "Hammer To Fall"...I've never seen another one like it!

Here's another one I found recently at my new favorite Sally Ann, where I bought that Sherwood receiver...I'm not sure but it looks like a girl named Joanne recorded a song perhaps or a message on a WWII-era recordio disc...I notice "For Victory" on the label, so if anyone can tell me any more about this one, I'd be curious to know...

Finally (and this one's for you, BMRR!), here is a recent find...A concert laserdisc that I found blended in with the records at the same shop as the recordio disc above...

It's from around 1988, and being a fan of Gloria's over the years, I'll bet she killed it in concert! All I need now is to find a thrift shop laserdisc player! :lol: Maybe you guys have seen one for cheap? :-k

In any case, those are just some of the more unique items I've found...What strange items have you guys found in your travels while searching the record racks and digging the crates? :-k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Odd stuff you find in the record racks...

Post by Tinkaroo » 27 Oct 2017 09:39

I have found some laserdiscs in the record racks, but they probably did so since they were the same size as LPs.

Though not nearly as exciting as the exercise wheel that V-M found I did find something interesting recently.

Inside an album- Mireille Mathieu -C'est L'amour Et La Vie Que Je Te Dois from 1973 I found a couple of very well preserved booklets from her 1975 visit to Montreal both in French.

The first was an 8 page 6" x 9" concert program from the Place des Arts.

The second was a 22 page 6" x 9" booklet called La Vie de Mireille Mathieu. This one had stories and photos of the life of Mireille as well as lots of local advertisements from Montreal in 1975. I can imagine very few of the restaurants and businesses listed are still around, so this is a slice of history from Montreal of 1975.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 27 Oct 2017 13:10

I don't have much to contribute but my copy of the Alien Original Soundtrack, composed by Jerry Goldsmith, came with a newspaper cutout with a review of the film.

Half of the time, I see the big bong sheet missing from the Cheech and Chong's Big Bambu LP. Hmmmm, I wonder why? :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Oct 2017 01:40

Slavikcc wrote:
Half of the time, I see the big bong sheet missing from the Cheech and Chong's Big Bambu LP. Hmmmm, I wonder why? :lol:
Yes, Slavikcc...I have often wondered that myself! :-k

It is rare to find the papers at all...I've seen a few copies and EACH TIME, the papers are missing...Maybe The "Doobie Brothers" got 'em all... :wink: :lol: :-k

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 28 Oct 2017 14:33

I found my Soundguard Work Pad in with the LPs (and priced at 99¢ like the LPs).

I have an interest in those old home-recorded disc like the Recordios, so I pick those up when I see them. The small one from 1949 turned out to be some people cooing at a baby (both sides!). The large one from 1956 is a classical piano recording by a young woman here in New York City, possibly done in a studio. I googled her, and her father founded an entertainment guide in NYC and had a New York Times obit.

I also found a signed, numbered catalog for a gallery show in New York City, with covers painted by the artist. In its box, it was roughly 'LP box set' size. I found out it is quite valuable -- too valuable for someone without the know-how (or connections) to sell. So it sits on the shelf.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 29 Oct 2017 02:51

Nice finds, Kurt! And I'm sure that Sound Guard pad comes in quite handy! I got a good deal on mine, too! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Oct 2017 09:04

OK, are you ready, guys??? I thought I would show you a few more odd finds that I came across in my recent thrift store travels...And these are indeed odd and all over the place! First off, I found a bunch of old recordios at one of my local thrifts...

I'm not sure of all of these, but one looks like some speeches and maybe the others have some songs and personal messages on them! Unusual labels, too...

Then, I found this album, "An Airplane Trip With Uncle Don"...

How about an introduction to The Hammond Organ?

Or maybe you need a record that shows you how to install Armstrong Excelon tile? :-k

And then, I found this odd brown felt circle in with the records...Do you think it might have been used on a Victrola or something?

I also found this odd red children's record...Can't go wrong with colored vinyl, in any case...

Also, I picked up a 78' from the self-described "King Of Country Music"...

And if that ain't an odd bunch of stuff, take a look at the odd bunch of stuff I found in the St. Vincent De Paul, a new location I'd be wanting to scout for a while...In a box that featured some Boston Acoustics A40's (They were $15, and I didn't jump at them, because I already own a great pair of these...Plus, I thought I'd save them for the next guy...) and some Russian cassette tapes, I found a nice stash of these, ALL unopened, except for two...

Tapeheads drool! The girl at the counter charged me 25 cents apiece for them! :lol:

In that self-same box, I found this little guy at the bottom...

A velvet brush that she threw in for free! :D

Now, here are some unusual records...How about 2 records covering various economics principles for you! Sounds like a winner, eh? :lol:

If that wasn't enough torture for you, how about this nice little 12" (YES, 12"!) record from Mr. Wayne Newton doing his best disco version of a Bee Gees classic (Melba Moore did this one, too!)! #-o

Care to hear it? Take a listen...

Is that NOT ENOUGH for you??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I went to a second thrift shop, a bit more upscale and although I wouldn't buy the clothes there at all (WAY too expensive!), I did find some records and CD's...In fact, I found an album that was filled with some great CD's...A good classical introduction!

Same size as a record album, too, and since all albums were $1.00 there as well, that's what I paid for it! :D

Finally, I did find this little sign in with the records, too...Why not? A little unusual kitsch never hurt anyone, did it? :-k

And that's my "sign" to "stop" right here, folks! :wink: So, if any of you guys got some good pics of your OWN unusual finds, by all means, share them here...I know you guys have found some interesting things in the record racks, too, and I shouldn't be having all the fun, should I? :-k :lol:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 30 Oct 2017 10:21

Some great finds there V-M!

That stash of tapes alone would have been a successful outing on their own. 8)

I think I had a very similar record brush at one time too. :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Oct 2017 01:59

Oh, and here's the Wayne Newton record I didn't show you...

Thanks again, Tink...It was definitely a successful day thrifting! I did not expect to find all of those tapes, especially unopened and at 25 cents apiece, to boot! Did you see the other records I picked up? :-k

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=99562&start=15

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 31 Oct 2017 04:46

I like seeing all those oddball records. I'm on the road this week, but I'll try to post some of the ones I've found when I get back.

I've also gotten some sealed Maxell XLIIs -- I use them with my Tascam 4-track, so they were a great find.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Oct 2017 06:51

Kurt45 wrote:I like seeing all those oddball records. I'm on the road this week, but I'll try to post some of the ones I've found when I get back.

I've also gotten some sealed Maxell XLIIs -- I use them with my Tascam 4-track, so they were a great find.
Make sure you do, Kurt...I know you've got some oddball finds up your sleeve! :wink:

I KNOW I can't be the only one!! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Oct 2017 07:27

Oh, and I did find this advertisement inside an album cover once...

R.I.P. to Robin, but it would still be interesting to know how many shirts were ever sold... :-k

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 04 Nov 2017 18:17

Okay, here are a few curiosities I've found in the record racks at the thrift shop. I'm sure I have more; I'll post them when I come upon them. Thanks to Vinyl Master for starting this thread.

A Walco strobe disc inside of a copy of "An Evening with Belafonte."

An album by a cruise ship performer on Cruise Records -- he tells jokes and stories and sings two songs. And look at that cover photo. I entered it on discogs. Before his cruise ship career, Sean Meaney was a bit player in Hollywood: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0575196

A KTU FM flexidisc that was part of their $25,000 Money Marathon on 1985.

A test pressing of Side 1 (or is it Side 2?) of ‎the soundtrack for "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" by The Lovin' Spoonful. It sounds and looks like it could have been played just once. I'd sell this in a heartbeat if someone made an attractive offer.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Nov 2017 07:08

Very interesting finds there, Kurt...I'd love to see more of your finds, if and when you find them! :-k

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 11 Nov 2017 11:20

Nice thread. Here are a few contributions:
Divers-En16tours.jpg
(72 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
Because I have several TTs with that possibility, my first and probably only 16rpm vinyl. Always thought this must have been a format used by radio stations for pre-recorded shows... Turns out it was tried as a commercial format for the possibility of more music on a 12" but it didn't do well because of the poor quality of the sound.
Disques1 - copie.jpg
(713.17 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
Disques2 - copie.jpg
(531.55 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
Two 78s picture discs. Each side with a different picture. Didn't even know that existed. It is not laquer, of course. Seems to be cardboard sandwiched in "plastic".
78t-BHV - copie 2.jpg
(641.67 KiB) Downloaded 628 times
78t-BHV - copie.jpg
(245.13 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
BHV is a well known department store and, I guess they had their own label once upon a time. Also seems they had their own orchestra: Orchestre B.H.V.

No photos of those but I recently picked up two advertisement floppy 45s for a brand of "biscottes" (kind of a hard dried toast).

Enjoy!