Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

anything and nothing
MostlyHarmless

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by MostlyHarmless » 31 Dec 2018 23:14

You are absolutely right. The Record-ology videos are beyond belief. Were they shorter, at least they might be comical. I admit I was mesmerized by the egregious nonsense he spouts. I speculate that Crosley may keep him supplied with their "latest and greatest."

As something of a reward for sitting through several Record-ology productions, I found someone else's channel. While he isn't expert, he seems (mostly) modest and motivated by genuine love of his hobby.

Good listening to all this coming New Year.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Jan 2019 04:33

Well, at least someone else is beginning to see the light, too...

Here are my thoughts after hearing his comments and opinions...

1. He's right in that if it weren't for the Crosleys, there would be no vinyl resurgence...We must be honest about that, as much as I hate to admit it...And I HATE to admit it... ](*,)

2. He is on the right track with that Linn and JBL set up... :)

3. Those who say that Crosleys are bad are right, but I should warn you guys...We tend to put down those who own one, but I think if that's ALL we're doing, we're doing a disservice to people...We NEED to be guiding people towards better options, if we're that darn angry...Like he says in the video, "If you have a kid in your life that doesn't have a nice set-up and they have a Crosley, don't give 'em a hard time about it...help 'em get something good...Give them advice..." Or in other words, "What are you doing to help people, instead of bringing them down?" And that, my friends, is what I try to do...When someone is looking for a turntable, I don't just tell them what NOT to get or what NOT to do...I give them options to look at, thoughts to consider, advice if they are first-time newbies, etc. Also...People shouldn't have to settle for a Crosley, just because they are easier to find...Finding a decent turntable can sometimes take some work, but the effort is SOOOO worth it! And it doesn't have to be expensive, either...It's easy to criticize...It's MUCH harder to teach! But, if we don't teach them, how are they gonna learn??? :?

4. I think I have a couple of thoughts where the Crosley COULD be good...Two exceptions to the rule, say...You know how they have those fake robot dogs or computerized "Tamagotchi" pets...Those can teach kids the responsibility of handling a real pet without the issues of owning a real pet...You know how kids are not the most coordinated, thoughtful and responsible? Maybe the Crosley could be the perfect gift for those kids...It will teach them how to treat and handle their stuff better...I will say that if you do give them a Crosley, I have one stipulation...Do not give them expensive or good records...Let them play some cheap records on it...If they can HANDLE taking care of their cheap records, then when they get older, maybe age 8, 9 or 10, promise them something better, if they want it...and go out and help them find a decent system! Maybe even take them record shopping with you! Even the cheapest Technics will be better than whatever garbage is coming out now...If they want to show off their individual style, they could add some stickers...say...to the dust cover or even just a removable cling sheet and put the stickers on that...Something you could peel off that wouldn't leave much residue, if you decided to sell it later...Another option would be a painted plinth of some sort, done up in a wild color perhaps...There are ways to make these older players COOL again! People get drawn to the Crosleys because of how they look and not how they sound...If we found ways to make the better vintage players more appealing like that, maybe more kids would be proud to own one!

5. The other thing is...Since Crosleys can ruin a lot of good pressings, maybe that's a good thing IF it causes the record companies to print more copies of a certain album or reissue more albums, as people wear out their old records on the Crosleys and want to replace them with better copies...In that way, maybe the Crosley can be good, if it floods the marketplace with more records...Now, keep in mind, if the particular pressings are badly pressed/badly mastered/badly recorded to begin with, no record player or turntable will be able to help that problem...

and last but not least...

6. If you're buying very expensive or rare pressings, unusual records, 180 gram stuff, etc., you should NOT be playing them on a Crosley...That's just plain wrong! You're spending more $$$ on records and at the same time, causing their value and condition to decrease, playing them on a substandard machine...How much $$$ are you throwing away in the long run doing that??? I did that for years, but I wasn't buying rare or valuable records, or at least I didn't know they were valuable, if I did...One thing I've noticed is that as I've bought better equipment, I've bought better records and have not been afraid to play them...Having better equipment will give you confidence, knowing that if you play them, you won't ruin them or scratch them, unless you purposely mis-handle them...When you know better, you DO better! If you don't have the money for a decent turntable, but you have all these rare records, I would suggest to stop buying records for a minute...a season perhaps...Save up for something decent that will play the ones you've already got...You can always go back to buying more records once you have a proper player...That's not to say that if you DON'T HAVE A TURNTABLE AT ALL that you can't save for a good turntable AND buy records for it at the same time...When you get that turntable, you'll at least be prepared with some stuff to play on it! :wink:

Just a few more thoughts to keep in mind...

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 02 Jan 2019 05:16

How many of us started with those little portable record players, with the plastic arm?
I think I still have a spare arm in the basement.

Cheers,
Alec

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Jan 2019 11:07

Some big advantages from a sales viewpoint are that they are cheap, you don't need a separate amp and speakers and they sell them at record stores and big box stores with no competition.

They may have done the same thing in the past with the small portable players like the ones we may remember from the early 60s, but as we got older and better educated we graduated to separate components and better quality systems which we had to source from more specialized audio stores. there aren't a lot of these specialized audio shops around anymore, especially outside of a big city.

The big issue these days is education about better audio and where to buy it. We lost a generation between the people who grew up playing vinyl records and the young of today due to the digital age of the CD. They don't have experience and guidance from people who know about better vinyl playback , and those of us with experience are likely to be grandparents, or great-aunts or uncles. It's really up to each of us in that latter category to help steer some of these younger people towards better systems, or even pass on some of our used equipment to them when they are ready to graduate to something better. It might be better to lighten up a bit on the criticism of the cheap turntables and instead show them how it can be done better and sound way better. Teach them how to care for their records and equipment and how to get the best sound, and that doesn't have to cost a fortune either. =D>

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 02 Jan 2019 16:17

Personally, I do not see a lot of bashing and personal attacks against those who own these Crosley players. In fact, I tend to see the opposite, which I saw people accusing others of being "elitists" and "audiophools" for providing sound advice.

And I agree that education is key, which is why discussions like here on VinylEngine.com is good, not on YouTube and other social platforms that allow paid-off YouTubers to sponsor junk equipment by any means necessary, which includes lying.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 02 Jan 2019 17:13

Slavikcc wrote:
02 Jan 2019 16:17
Personally, I do not see a lot of bashing and personal attacks against those who own these Crosley players. In fact, I tend to see the opposite, which I saw people accusing others of being "elitists" and "audiophools" for providing sound advice.

And I agree that education is key, which is why discussions like here on VinylEngine.com is good, not on YouTube and other social platforms that allow paid-off YouTubers to sponsor junk equipment by any means necessary, which includes lying.
Manufacturers saw the advantage of Free Marketing on those popular internet platforms, and being popular, will continue to sell their wares, ain't nothing much anyone can do about it.
Besides, having video demonstrations is just like tv advertising, the best way to capture someone's attention.

KentT
long player
long player

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your record

Post by KentT » 08 Jul 2019 14:39

MonkeyBoy wrote:
15 Nov 2015 04:34
Nope, all we have left here is the high end stuff, except for Best Buy and I don't think they have turntables. Still, when I suggested to him what a reasonable budget really is he didn't say anything like thanks, but no thanks so I think I can probably help him. Rega or Music Hall with a nice Grado cartridge just might fit the bill. I'll see in a couple of days. I have no idea what he has for an amp or if he has a phono pre. This should be an interesting discussion.
Go to a Best Buy with a Magnolia HiFi store attached, and you have much better options. They sell things like McIntosh, Martin Logan, Bowers & Wilkins, Pro-Ject and similar. And in a worst case scenario, the top of the line Crosley happens to be built by Pro-Ject. is a version of the Debut, and has an Ortofon cartridge factory installed, and is quite good for the price.

gortonandy

Post by gortonandy » 04 Nov 2019 17:42

Any kind of mis-tracking will destroy your records, this includes sounding jumpy on deep bass notes. It's also bad if you hear a lot of resonant noise from the arm with the volume at minimum. Change your stylus regularly if you have a Crosley. They often use the same stylus which can be bought on ebay for peanuts so there's no excuse. Go by the sound. Distortion means mis tracking means record wear.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Nov 2019 18:46

I saw this ad recently that Walmart put out...

A $44.00 turntable that isn't even worth $4.00 on a GOOD day (and couldn't even fetch $20.00 in a thrift store!) is not MY idea of a "perfect" gift...I'm willing to bet that Grandma has an old turntable stashed away somewhere that would be more worth fixing up than buying her a "brand new" Crosley that will get used once or twice and then, put away in a closet or something...I've spent $50 or less on turntables that would blow away a Crosley easily...And yes, I have admitted it before...I DID pay full price for one, and that was BEFORE I found this site...My mistake, but I learned from it rather quickly... #-o

I guess I just don't get the idea of vinyl, which should be an outdated medium by modern standards (but FORTUNATELY isn't! :wink: ), coming back and people not using the proper equipment to reveal the vinyl's true potential! It's like buying a Ferrari (expensive vinyl records) and filling it with regular gas instead of the premium that was meant for it (playing them on a subpar-quality turntable instead of a machine that protects and safeguards those records, as well as revealing what they SHOULD sound like!)...Not that I should know about such things, of course... #-o

Now, there was ntsc525's "modification" here...

viewtopic.php?t=114458

Sure, it's interesting to see how far you can go with one (just as an experiment), but how far can you REALLY go with that, especially if you've been exposed to something better??? Maybe OK for the short term, but what about the long term? In the end, though, you're still limited by the plastic tonearm, plastic housing and tiny speakers, plus a ton of "workarounds" that you have to be a creative, technical genius to put into place, which most people aren't...They will most likely take the Crosley at face value and not do any modifications to it...If you've heard better sound before, you'll spend your whole life trying to chase what you loved about vinyl in the first place, which you're probably not going to find with a Crosley, or at least not permanently...You'll always be itching to hear what you can't and wanting to upgrade, which is why I think more people should be exposed to various types of sound equipment, so they can hear what the differences are and decide for themselves...It maybe a learning curve for some, but a path worth taking! Also, back in the day, a turntable was a calculated purchase in many aspects...You took your time to decide on one...There were rubber mats and metal platters...Wooden plinths...Various cartridges to choose from and not just one type...More options, depending on the receiver, amplifier or speakers you were using...A whole bunch of rituals associated with vinyl...More record companies cared about the quality of their pressings than they do now, too...Of course, there were sub-par machines back then and substandard recordings, too, but at least there were options...Someone new to vinyl who sees a Crosley on the shelf nowadays might think that there are no other options for vinyl playback...I say let Walmart sell Fluances and U-Turns next to the Crosleys and let the customer decide, if that's the case...Crosley shouldn't have an unfair advantage over any other company in that regard...And people should know that finding or being gifted an old 70's turntable from a family member may possibly be more beneficial to them than buying ANYTHING new, unless they are willing to pony up quite a bit of $$$...

Just my two centavos, FWIW... 8-[

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 05 Nov 2019 10:02

As Alec124c41 said, how many of us started with a cheapo record player? I gor mine around age 13 or 14 and my records had to wait until I was 19 to get a true TT. But honestly, I doubt anyone could tell which records I've had since age 13.

Now, of course, I take care of my vinyl. Use a brush at every play and they are always in their covers (and inner sleeve) between plays; paying attention to stylus wear is also a must... Most young people I've known didn't quite do any of that. Records piled up in a corner without their covers were not uncommon. As are records without an innersleeve being sold today. This may be more of a problem than a cheap record player.

Not to say that a decent TT is not necessary. It is. And I can't help and agree with vinyl master that there are plenty of choices out there, with a little patience, for a decent one at 50 or 60 euros. I got a Lenco B55 for 40€ and an L75 for 55€. But when you start and know nothing about TTs, it is easier to buy a new one and spend a lot more than you would on a Crosley.

So, I do the same as vm. Try and teach newbies about possibilities, choices.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Nov 2019 20:13

I mentioned Wal-Mart putting out that turntable ad...Did I mention that Wal-Mart is also selling it's own turntable now under the Onn brand???

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Wireless ... /255617735

The horror!! :shock:

First, that House Of Marley thing, then the Target Heyday and now THIS???! #-o ](*,)

Total utter garbage and they keep putting out more of it!! And let's not forget that if the platter is plastic, you're more likely to deal with platter wobble...

Some things to keep in mind (and stay away from), for all you Black Friday-ers... [-X

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 28 Nov 2019 22:05

vinyl master wrote:
28 Nov 2019 20:13
I mentioned Wal-Mart putting out that turntable ad...Did I mention that Wal-Mart is also selling it's own turntable now under the Onn brand???

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Wireless ... /255617735

The horror!! :shock:

First, that House Of Marley thing, then the Target Heyday and now THIS???! #-o ](*,)

Total utter garbage and they keep putting out more of it!! And let's not forget that if the platter is plastic, you're more likely to deal with platter wobble...

Some things to keep in mind (and stay away from), for all you Black Friday-ers... [-X
I agree, a sad excuse of a turntable to cash in on the renewed interest in playing records. It's unfortunate that some young person might find this piece of garbage under their Christmas tree and be stuck with it since it was a gift from a loved one who didn't know better. #-o

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Dec 2019 22:04

Uh oh... #-o

Now before I watch this one, I hope Frank is gonna burn that thing in the end...or at least demolish it... [-o<

OK, so I watched it...It's about what I expected in regards to the review...

Edit: So he didn't demolish it and let his kids play with it instead, but he's doing them a disservice, as evidenced by the fact that his one daughter mentioned never using a turntable before... :shock:

Really??? And this guy is ALL ABOUT RECORDS????! :?

Indoctrinate them early, I say...The earlier, the better!! :D

My dad got me into this hobby early by giving me that GE Wildcat at a young age, so what's the hold up...Of course, the girls (at least one of them) dug it in the end...Maybe his girls will grow to love records and think they're cool! 8)

It'll be interesting to hear their thoughts more on records as they get older, though...Frank should do more videos with them! :-k

Maybe take them record shopping??? :-k

The Victrola is not my cup of tea, of course, but for the girls, I'm sure it has some novelty value and who knows? One of them might really get into records and maybe something better one day...Still, in my view, that $33.00 equals 33 selections from the record store dollar bins...Just sayin'... 8-[

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Dec 2019 00:01

I saw the Victrola at my local Staples this weekend. Big stack of them right near the printers. I almost gave in to trying to drop kick a few but I really wanted to get a new printer before getting arrested! Let's hope that one in the video self destructs and a real machine replaces it real soon. Even my old Sears portable was "better" than that. At least my Sears let me know how to handle a real arm, those Victrola ones look real difficult to operate with any dexterity. Where's Cafe Latte and the Crusher when we need him!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Dec 2019 10:41

Yes hopefully Frank gets his daughters something better down the road since that victrola won't last or sound very good in the long run. When a turntable costs less than some generic stylii, the parts must be very low quality and the sound can't be very good either. It's not built to last for any longer than its warranty. #-o