Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

anything and nothing
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20823
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by vinyl master » 28 Dec 2018 02:47

Oh boy...Now, Crosley has come out with this one...



Problem is...They COULD have an idea there IF only there was a better turntable in that unit! #-o

Imagine if someone came out with an all-in-one system featuring a turntable with a heavy platter, counterweight, metal tonearm, removable headshell and cartridge (used at very low tracking forces), anti-skate, an AM/FM tuner that could tune in the most sensitive of stations, a built-in CD player of top quality, possibly a top notch built-in cassette deck, the ability to play or stream downloads, an option for bluetooth (if one wanted that sort of thing) that could be turned off, and some quality speakers that could be swapped out for another brand of your choice...With the cost of materials, parts and labor, I guess I'm dreaming to think that such a modern quality affordable all-in-one entertainmnent system could EVER exist in these times! #-o

Of course, it hasn't been done (with all the things I listed), so maybe my words could challenge someone out there to come up with the ultimate solution... :-k

In the meantime, though, I'm sticking with my separates...

Gelid
broken record
Posts: 521
Joined: 07 Dec 2014 05:56

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Gelid » 28 Dec 2018 03:26

...but it's got blue lights.... and 1975 in it's name!

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2992
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 17:21

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Spinner45 » 28 Dec 2018 04:35

Gelid wrote:
28 Dec 2018 03:26
...but it's got blue lights.... and 1975 in it's name!
That's a sour and disgusting bit of marketing there.
Even the budget "1975" machines were built WAY better than that slop.

MostlyHarmless
member
member
Posts: 168
Joined: 20 Apr 2016 13:03

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by MostlyHarmless » 28 Dec 2018 16:21

This latest piece of rubbish from Crosley is mind-bogglingly. The videographer seems no more than a Crosley shill (based upon a few other of his productions I wasted my time watching).

Another product for the landfill!

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2992
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 17:21

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Spinner45 » 28 Dec 2018 18:01

MostlyHarmless wrote:
28 Dec 2018 16:21
This latest piece of rubbish from Crosley is mind-bogglingly. The videographer seems no more than a Crosley shill (based upon a few other of his productions I wasted my time watching).

Another product for the landfill!
Or used as a vehicle "wheel chock" on a steep hill.....
"Oops!.... the vehicle just rolled downhill anyway, flattening that abomination! :shock:

Gelid
broken record
Posts: 521
Joined: 07 Dec 2014 05:56

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Gelid » 28 Dec 2018 18:59

Ha! I love this!! :lol:
Crosley Buzz.jpg
(44.02 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2992
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 17:21

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Spinner45 » 28 Dec 2018 22:01

Gelid wrote:
28 Dec 2018 18:59
Ha! I love this!! :lol:

Crosley Buzz.jpg
It's not the "stupid" light fixture, it's the "stupid" consumer who purchased that garbage. :shock:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20823
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by vinyl master » 29 Dec 2018 05:18

These new Crosley offerings really kill me...They are going after every type of look they can think of, making players that look as vintage as their predecessors on the outside, but not having ANY worthwhile substance within...Imagine a cartoon where the 5-year old son of a Crosley executive asks his dad sheepishly, "Hey dad...When are you gonna make a REAL turntable???" Maybe put a sign on the wall that says "Crosley Toys"...Now, we just need a comic illustrator and a placement in Stereophile magazine! :lol:

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2992
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 17:21

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Spinner45 » 29 Dec 2018 06:50

vinyl master wrote:
29 Dec 2018 05:18
These new Crosley offerings really kill me...They are going after every type of look they can think of, making players that look as vintage as their predecessors on the outside, but not having ANY worthwhile substance within...Imagine a cartoon where the 5-year old son of a Crosley executive asks his dad sheepishly, "Hey dad...When are you gonna make a REAL turntable???" Maybe put a sign on the wall that says "Crosley Toys"...Now, we just need a comic illustrator and a placement in Stereophile magazine! :lol:
Have you ever seen the insides of one of those crosleys?
I have, too many times.
You'd shake your head and vomit.
A pathetic circuit board, tiny power transformer, basically a cheap boombox type of setup, all neatly kept together with hot glued wiring.
And those, ahem, turntables? - about a pound of plastic with wobbly plastic platter.
But.... hold on..... the cabinets are elegantly scuptured to make the wife happy.

Bleh!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20823
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by vinyl master » 29 Dec 2018 07:48

Spinner45 wrote:
29 Dec 2018 06:50
vinyl master wrote:
29 Dec 2018 05:18
These new Crosley offerings really kill me...They are going after every type of look they can think of, making players that look as vintage as their predecessors on the outside, but not having ANY worthwhile substance within...Imagine a cartoon where the 5-year old son of a Crosley executive asks his dad sheepishly, "Hey dad...When are you gonna make a REAL turntable???" Maybe put a sign on the wall that says "Crosley Toys"...Now, we just need a comic illustrator and a placement in Stereophile magazine! :lol:
Have you ever seen the insides of one of those crosleys?
I have, too many times.
You'd shake your head and vomit.
A pathetic circuit board, tiny power transformer, basically a cheap boombox type of setup, all neatly kept together with hot glued wiring.
And those, ahem, turntables? - about a pound of plastic with wobbly plastic platter.
But.... hold on..... the cabinets are elegantly scuptured to make the wife happy.

Bleh!
Heh! I OWN one...A Cruiser! Why do you think I DON'T use it??? #-o And yes, I bought it in a moment of weakness before I found this board AND foolishly paid FULL PRICE... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I played it one time and the sound coming out made me want to look for a better machine REAL FAST! Thing is, it's sitting in the back of a closet now and being used as a home for spiders...I guess I just don't have the heart to evict the poor things... 8-[

Hey, maybe I could gut out the insides and just use it as a regular briefcase? :-k

Who says the Crosley isn't good for something??? :P :idea:

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2992
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 17:21

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Spinner45 » 29 Dec 2018 17:08

The cruisers I never had the pleasure to handle, but the ones I know well are those "all in one" radio-CD-turntable jobs.
Ya know, all packaged in those fancy wood tabletop cabinets with the fake antique bronze/pewter control panel on front.
Absolute garbage!

lbls1
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 267
Joined: 25 Mar 2018 15:46
Location: Queens

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by lbls1 » 29 Dec 2018 18:47

vinyl master wrote:
29 Dec 2018 07:48
Spinner45 wrote:
29 Dec 2018 06:50
vinyl master wrote:
29 Dec 2018 05:18
These new Crosley offerings really kill me...They are going after every type of look they can think of, making players that look as vintage as their predecessors on the outside, but not having ANY worthwhile substance within...Imagine a cartoon where the 5-year old son of a Crosley executive asks his dad sheepishly, "Hey dad...When are you gonna make a REAL turntable???" Maybe put a sign on the wall that says "Crosley Toys"...Now, we just need a comic illustrator and a placement in Stereophile magazine! :lol:
Have you ever seen the insides of one of those crosleys?
I have, too many times.
You'd shake your head and vomit.
A pathetic circuit board, tiny power transformer, basically a cheap boombox type of setup, all neatly kept together with hot glued wiring.
And those, ahem, turntables? - about a pound of plastic with wobbly plastic platter.
But.... hold on..... the cabinets are elegantly scuptured to make the wife happy.

Bleh!
Heh! I OWN one...A Cruiser! Why do you think I DON'T use it??? #-o And yes, I bought it in a moment of weakness before I found this board AND foolishly paid FULL PRICE... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I played it one time and the sound coming out made me want to look for a better machine REAL FAST! Thing is, it's sitting in the back of a closet now and being used as a home for spiders...I guess I just don't have the heart to evict the poor things... 8-[

Hey, maybe I could gut out the insides and just use it as a regular briefcase? :-k

Who says the Crosley isn't good for something??? :P :idea:
Ironically as I eluded to before, many of us fell prey to the attractiveness of Crosley's hint of nostalgia and cheapness of price by buying one. I did...exactly one year ago, which was the catalyst to my re-entry into the hi-fi hobby this past year. This coming from an experienced hi-fier that had elaborate equipment at home as well. I was looking for an innocent player-set for the bedroom to spin a record or two during pasttimes. I quickly realized how cheaply the Crosley set was made (despite having a cd recorder), and to top it off one of the channels was fading out on this brand new unit. After seeing one of my favorite turntables from the past offered for sale, I quickly returned the crosley and thus why I'm here with you all today!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20823
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by vinyl master » 29 Dec 2018 22:40

lbls1 wrote:
29 Dec 2018 18:47

Ironically as I eluded to before, many of us fell prey to the attractiveness of Crosley's hint of nostalgia and cheapness of price by buying one. I did...exactly one year ago, which was the catalyst to my re-entry into the hi-fi hobby this past year. This coming from an experienced hi-fier that had elaborate equipment at home as well. I was looking for an innocent player-set for the bedroom to spin a record or two during pasttimes. I quickly realized how cheaply the Crosley set was made (despite having a cd recorder), and to top it off one of the channels was fading out on this brand new unit. After seeing one of my favorite turntables from the past offered for sale, I quickly returned the crosley and thus why I'm here with you all today!
You've echoed my sentiments exactly, lbls1...Another one here who fell prey to the bright colors and portable-ness of it all...My vinyl mentor was also given one of their "deluxe" models as a gift by a WELL-MEANING daughter...He had her take it back after I went on about how cheap (and cheaply-made) it really was...

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2992
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 17:21

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Spinner45 » 30 Dec 2018 00:22

vinyl master wrote:
29 Dec 2018 22:40
lbls1 wrote:
29 Dec 2018 18:47

Ironically as I eluded to before, many of us fell prey to the attractiveness of Crosley's hint of nostalgia and cheapness of price by buying one. I did...exactly one year ago, which was the catalyst to my re-entry into the hi-fi hobby this past year. This coming from an experienced hi-fier that had elaborate equipment at home as well. I was looking for an innocent player-set for the bedroom to spin a record or two during pasttimes. I quickly realized how cheaply the Crosley set was made (despite having a cd recorder), and to top it off one of the channels was fading out on this brand new unit. After seeing one of my favorite turntables from the past offered for sale, I quickly returned the crosley and thus why I'm here with you all today!
You've echoed my sentiments exactly, lbls1...Another one here who fell prey to the bright colors and portable-ness of it all...My vinyl mentor was also given one of their "deluxe" models as a gift by a WELL-MEANING daughter...He had her take it back after I went on about how cheap (and cheaply-made) it really was...
Atta boy!
Don't mince words!
Tell it like it is!
:shock:

Besides, in the long run, you're actually doing a favor. :wink:

Slavikcc
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 583
Joined: 27 Jul 2016 02:26

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Slavikcc » 31 Dec 2018 13:00

MostlyHarmless wrote:
28 Dec 2018 16:21
This latest piece of rubbish from Crosley is mind-bogglingly. The videographer seems no more than a Crosley shill (based upon a few other of his productions I wasted my time watching).

Another product for the landfill!
Yes, Record-ology is another shill and a total charlatan for Crosley, Victrola, and other junk players. He alleges to be a former recording engineer and claimed that higher-end turntables above the Crosley are a waste of money and doesn't harm records at all. Just another YouTuber, along with several well-known vinyl-related YouTuber shills who sold their souls to low-end brand names, who spreads disinformation.

Post Reply