Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

anything and nothing
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your record

Post by vinyl master » 16 Apr 2018 06:55

Palwyn3 wrote:I have two players, one of which is a Crosley which I was given, it does the job and plays records, but skips a lot and also has an audible crackle. I find hat if listening to records o prefer to do so on my other turntable which feels less like a ‘novelty’ item and also sounds better, never skips, and just does the job better.
What IS your other table, if you don't mind me asking, Palwyn3? :-k I'm sure it does a dandy job playing records! :)

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 16 Apr 2018 13:43

Palwyn3 wrote:I have two players, one of which is a Crosley which I was given, it does the job and plays records, but skips a lot and also has an audible crackle. I find hat if listening to records o prefer to do so on my other turntable which feels less like a ‘novelty’ item and also sounds better, never skips, and just does the job better.
I'm not so sure if I would say the Crosley doing its job spinning and playing records, considering the constant skipping and poor sound quality... :|

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 22 Apr 2018 07:00

If your stylus rides heavier than around 1.5 grams, you are increasing the wear on records and sooner replacement of the stylus needle. Some may not agree, but it works for me. I'm real happy using Vintage Shure cartridges and better Audio Technica cartridges. Tracking is at 1 gram.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 10 May 2018 23:04

I track in the middle to higher force in the range. Too light mistracks, too heavy is more than necessary. And I use the appropriate cartridge for the tonearm and application at hand.

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 21 May 2018 22:32

One YouTube person said that anything over 3 grams tracking weight is harmful to record grooves. Every cartridge I have tracks at 1.4 grams or less. Maybe that's why my needles don't wear out after on and off use over the years. Clean needles and clean records do really matter. Some things to consider if you play lots of vinyl.

Audie

Post by Audie » 22 May 2018 04:11

I remember when I tracked my Shure cartridge at 1-1.5 grams, on my Garrard 301 and Audio and Design M9BA unipivot arm, it always mistracked on a particular record. My cartridges these days use 2 grams typically, and sail through that record now.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jun 2018 08:40

Well, you can't say our friend, ol' radiotvphononut, isn't giving it his best college try here! He's REALLY trying to make this Crosley SOMEWHAT presentable, even if it is just for kicks and to prove something to himself... :lol:

If you want to upgrade a Crosley (and like him, you were only doing it for kicks), THAT is about the best you can do with it!

Otherwise, it's summer time, it's bonfire season and you know bonfires need a lot of kindling, if you catch my drift... :wink:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Jun 2018 10:43

vinyl master wrote:Well, you can't say our friend, ol' radiotvphononut, isn't giving it his best college try here! He's REALLY trying to make this Crosley SOMEWHAT presentable, even if it is just for kicks and to prove something to himself... :lol:

If you want to upgrade a Crosley (and like him, you were only doing it for kicks), THAT is about the best you can do with it!

Otherwise, it's summer time, it's bonfire season and you know bonfires need a lot of kindling, if you catch my drift... :wink:
It took a lot of work to make it even close to acceptable. On the other hand any cheap turntable from the 1980s made by any reputable audio maker would be much better and can often be found for peanuts. =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 Oct 2018 14:15

A rant...

For the record, Frank...We're NOT bullies...We're REALISTS! :-k

Somebody has to stand up for quality hi-fi! I love what you say, Frank, most of the time, but keep in mind, YOU are not beating your precious metal albums to death on an old BSR, although in some circles, that would actually fit the "punk" aesthetic...Buy another record? That rare copy of blah-blah-blah that you paid a week's worth of wages for? THAT record??? :shock: New records are NOT cheap and some records are so darned hard-to-find, you'll be lucky to see another copy in your lifetime...Don't they deserve the best system you can afford? Why spend a fortune on records, but then skimp on the table to play them? Quality doesn't have to be expensive, either, but sometimes, it does take patience to find something decent in your price range...Still, think about this...When you buy a Crosley, you're only contributing to more landfill waste and are adding to the problem, not alleviating it...But I guess some people may have to "grind their teeth" on a Crosley to appreciate what a good system can sound like...I just don't like to take my chances with a machine that tracks that heavily...I have machines like that, but fortunately, I have a ton of old beater singles that I can pop on those at any time...Many people don't have that luxury and are playing their good records on those types of machines...It seems a shame since every time I scour someone's Craigslist, I usually can find SOMETHING, even the cheapest 80's model that can outdo a Crosley in a minute! Don't THOSE tables deserve to be rescued, too? :-k Crosley to me represents consumerist culture at it's worst...I guess it does bring in the kids to the hobby, but why are we even collecting records at all, at that point, if the goal is to ruin them and waste our hard-earned money? Those kids would be better off listening to downloads, as sound quality apparently doesn't really matter to them anyway... :( Companies like Crosley take advantage of unsuspecting kids and people who do not know better and they are unapologetic about it...They're not even trying to put a quality turntable out on the market, like the ones of old...If they did, they would be wise to name it something else and totally disassociate it with the word "Crosley", as that name has a certain stigma to it now...A new brand with a totally different marketing plan would have to be created...

Yes, the kids are going to go the Crosley route because...THAT IS THE ONLY OPTION AVAILABLE TO THEM in the big box stores, but that just means that these places have to start offering some more attractive quality options to offset that...If the U-Turn people are listening, they should box up some turntables, give them colorful plinths, maybe sky blue, pink and purple for the kids and sell them at fye, Barnes & Noble, Urban Outfitters, etc. Having that option in THOSE places would at least give the kids an option they wouldn't have known about otherwise...And you don't have to go crazy...Put a few of these in each location to start and see how they sell...Put a fair price point on 'em, and I think they would fly out the door! I'm giving you guys a FREE idea here...By all means, USE IT!

I get where Frank is coming from...I started playing records on an old GE Wildcat portable phonograph, but I didn't stay with it...Of course, that's where I got my love for vinyl from...In any case, maybe it's because we know better now and want to help the younger generation avoid the pitfalls we encountered and show them a better way...No one should be picking on the kids, but also, keep in mind, if you have to dissaude someone from buying a Crosley, AT LEAST, offer up some affordable quality alternatives...And that's what I try to do for anyone looking for something decent...Wherever you live, there are options out there for you that won't break the bank and will keep your precious, valuable records sounding great years and years from now...Why would you resort to eating Spaghetti-O's for the rest of your life from a can, just because you can find them at any gas station/convenience store, esp. when you know that there are much more healthful options out there for dinner? Not that there's anything wrong with Spaghetti-O's, per se, but do you really want to be eating those forever and make them a main staple of your diet? My dad used to buy Craftsman tools, because they would last longer than some cheap plastic screwdriver that would wear out eventually...When buying tools, you want something that will "take a licking and keep on ticking", right? I argue that it should be the same for a turntable or a watch or a phone...Quality may not always come cheap, but it's better than the alternative in many cases...

The question we should be asking is this...Why aren't there MORE quality players on the market? Crosley has had a minute to get kids back into vinyl, but it's time for either them or some other player to step up to the plate with some quality affordable options...And secondly, if a Crosley is the only thing you can find in your area, why would you settle for it? :? If you had no grocery store in your area and the only place in town was a gas station that sold nothing but candy, I guess you COULD eat that, but why would you want to? Plus, it would do nothing but rot your teeth, if your diet was ONLY candy...If those were my ONLY options, honestly, I'd be growing my own food!

Oh well...Again, that's just my rant (or two cents as it were) on the whole thing! Your mileage may differ... 8-[

What say you guys? :-k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 01 Oct 2018 14:43

I think Frank should stick to his day job.

People aren't criticizing kids who buy crosleys, or those who buy them for them, but the product itself. It's very poor quality and won't last.

The sound quality probably won't inspire anyone to continue with listening to records.

People want to point out there are better options that will show how good records can sound, whereas a crosley makes them sound not so hot. Someone can buy new too if they aren't comfortable buying vintage, and there are some reasonable options for new if people are pointed in the right direction.

Spending $200 on something that is disposable junk can't be justified by saying people are picking on kids, since that is not the case. It's not just kids who buy these either since many adults do who don't know any better. Its like flushing money down the toilet.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 01 Oct 2018 16:49

Very good points, vinyl master and Tinkaroo. They are simply not very good machines by any stretch and I have to disagree with Frank on what he said. Poor sound quality, unable to keep a steady speed, skipping, etc. are big problems with those machines (including the Audio Technica LP60) and I do not think he knows how seriously bad they are. Of course, that also gives ammo to the pro-Crosley crusaders (especially a certain YouTuber who shall not be named) with what Frank said in the video. Combined that with newcomers having no point of reference of how good a turntable can sound, let alone a good stereo system can be and they can certainly cost a heck of a lot less than a piece of junk player.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 Oct 2018 17:35

Ah yes...He didn't mention the unsteady speed or the skipping part...The kids'll just LOVE that! Maybe they can imagine their favorite singer sounding drunk (on a slower speed) or having a hiccup (skipping)... :lol:

Forget what they're being played on for a moment (bear with me, folks...), but I'd love to know how much money these kids (the ones into it) are shelling out for vinyl on average nowadays per week, per month, per year, etc. Take that amount into account and add it all up, I'm willing to bet the cost is fairly substantial over time...When you realize your records will probably outlive the Crosley and then discover that there are people using 50-60 year old equipment STILL TO THIS DAY to play their records AND they sound great, too, I would be questioning the logic of spending full price on something substandard off the bat...My thought is...If you can save up $100 for a new Crosley, you can certainly wait a minute and save up a little more for a U-Turn, a Pro-Ject, or whatnot...Either that or do some research and go the vintage route...Your records and your sanity WILL thank you in the end! =D>

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 01 Oct 2018 18:15

In all honesty, buying records only to have it played on a very low-end player is money wasted, with some records costing $20 or higher, depending on what title it is, etc. If anything, quite a few are jumping on the whole retro bandwagon but not necessarily understand why they want to get into records (IMO, I do not subscribe to the whole notion of paying more attention to the music and other odd reasons) and also accept that the idiosyncrasies of skipping, crappy sound quality, surface noise, etc. are 100% acceptable. Don't forget that Crosley, Jensen, ION, and other low-end brands have their marketing team, along with a few terribad YouTubers promoting junk players given by those companies for free. Again, bad or lacking a point of reference.

As someone who is generally format agnostic, I don't agree that records are the best thing or a panacea to music listening and I find it annoying that they eschew CDs and even digital files altogether.

lbls1
United States of America

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by lbls1 » 26 Dec 2018 04:20

There is a world of difference between a typical Crosley record player and a good quality, hi fidelity grade turntable. A high fidelity turntable will usually have an adjustable bias weight attached to the tone-arm, to adjust for different weight and tracking of cartridges available. Additionally, a good turntable will have provisions for using any of a large segment of fidelity magnetic or moving coil cartridges that could effectively produce your records.

Typical record playing Crosleys have a pre-set tone-arm and will use a low quality stylus and ceramic cartridge. While this has proven to be successful for Crosley, in reality these poor quality record players will wear out your vinyl records quicker than a good turntable, and will not come within a competitive comparison with any high fidelity grade turntable and amplifier system. I give this criticism with a good dose of experience with older pre-set bias turntables from the past, as well as observing a typical Crosley record player.

Not to be overly critical of Crosley, it does appear that the brand is starting to compete with some fidelity grade turntables. It will pay dividends to compare the newer Crosleys with well known quality turntables. You want a top quality craft that will last decades and bring non stop entertainment with your record collection.

Gelid
broken record

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by Gelid » 26 Dec 2018 06:30

Someone stated early in this thread that the damage happens subtley, over time. This is absolutely true.

I have records that I bought used and look fine, but play normal in one channel, and are distorted or very quiet in the other channel. THAT is a result of playing your records on a turntable that doesn't have the ability to precisely navigate the squiggly groove cut into a piece of vinyl with a tip made of a substance harder than the vinyl itself. Antiskate, vertical tracking force, too loose or too tight tracking arm bearings... whatever. Any one of those will damage a record over time.
Even sadder, you may not directly notice anything wrong, but after a few years, you favorite record just doesn't "do it" for you anymore. You'll prob think "meh... I'm over it, I guess." when the reality is that P.O.S. record player smoothed out all the dynamics that the record had when it was new, from not being able to track the grooves accurately.

That is why it is important to have a record player that has all the adjustments necessary to play your records with the best possible sound and the least amount of wear. There are a few manufacturers that omit these adjustments for one reason or another, but they are "factory set" for whatever cartridge / stylus it ships with. Crosley is NOT one of those.

Crosley record players are the Easy-Bake Oven of the analog audio world: You can cook brownies and cookies in it, so why do bakeries spend so much on their ovens instead of just using several of the very inexpensive Easy-Bake?

It's a toy. It plays records, but it is still just a toy.