Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

anything and nothing
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your record

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Apr 2017 10:00

Perhaps we need a new thread about how a Crosley destroyed my marriage or friendship? :cry:

The only possible upgrade I can think of would be to upgrade to a diamond stylus if one is available. You could then use it to play thrift store records 24-7 till it soon breaks down. Then you miraculously come up with a better turntable to replace it.

And they all lived happily ever after! :mrgreen:

Or you could just use it on thrift store records with updated stylus for a reasonable length of time and then get a better turntable, relegating the crosley to the secondary or tertiary system that rarely if ever gets played.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 13 Apr 2017 13:44

Best I can say is play it with very cheap, expendable records on the Crosley. In the interim, you can save up for a much better turntable.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 14 Apr 2017 01:51

Tell her someone on the Vinyl forum likes Crosley and wants to come round and play with your new turntable :twisted: ...
Chris

Willem1671

Post by Willem1671 » 17 Jun 2017 02:26

I fix old, and in some cases also new, turntables. I have done so for many, many years. My specialty are DUAL turntables, the best of which is undoubtedly, even to this very moment, the 701. Now, on topic, ALL Crosley's are crap. And they are aimed at the novices, those who have not much to spend and the ones who see them at the average record stores that don't give a s*** as for caring for their customers. This is a shame, really because certainly those new in the field of recorded sounds through phonographic records will be disappointed, and that is an understatement. However, it is not my intention to blame the ones that are the victims of Crosley and the like (everything that originates from the Leetac plant in mainland China) stuff. Every attempt to improve the quality of those products will end up unsuccesful. For starters, the really high needle pressure, secondly the lack of anti skate so the weight will ruin the innerside of the groove almost instantly, if not instantly. Thirdly, the absence of any bearing on the tone arm assembly at all. That means the friction is very, very high. And last but not least, the overall construction of the cartridge, many have the plastic cantilever that is so unforgivingly crude it acts like a scave in the groove. To conclude this very positive thread, there is the overall construction of these products. How dare they! They are an insult for the medium called phonographic record. They are an insult for those who take a lot of trouble producing a quality record, both those at the record manufacturer plants worldwide and the artists. And, last but certainly not least, they are an insult to those who actually bought them. So, if you own one, I feel sorry for you. Your purchase may have come cheap, it is actually not cheap as these things are worthless, any cent spent is a waste. So do yourself a favour and test your hammer on them, set them on fire, immerse them in water (unplugged!), surprise your biggest enemy with one, or whatever you want to do with it, but do not torture your records and your ears with them.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Jun 2017 02:38

And in case you haven't seen these...This video explains it all...

And as Leah says here, "Crosley Record Players Suck!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxYDFe9GXBU&t=91s

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 30 Aug 2017 12:25

hi guys, I am new here and someone pointed out this thread to me. As this is about Crosley, there are similar brands which are cheap, very cheap. I have a Ricatech, which is in the same range.
The main reaon I bought it is that I love he looks. It is really a piece-of-furniture, and that alone was worth the buy. Nothing can be adjusted near or on the arm, and it is fully automatic. I play very cheap records on it mainly. But it can do a lot more: there is a radio, and hey, also a CD-player. Finally, believe it or not,you can plug in a USB on the right side.I put 5000 MP3-tracks on one, and it plays on end. Great for a party, and sure worth the money! I've had it for 3 years now, and it plays!
Attachments
a1.jpg
(88.86 KiB) Downloaded 301 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Aug 2017 15:07

Just curious, Keesie, but do you have a lot of those 45' cases as seen in your pic? The old "platter paks" can still be quite useful for storing records...How many of those do you think you have? Also, do you store any records in the stand that your record player is on? When it comes to the records, I'm always looking for creative new ways to store them...In fact, at one of the more recent antique shows in my area, I picked up this old camera case cheap...

It seems to do the trick, as well...

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 30 Aug 2017 16:44

Vinyl Master, you are giving me a lot of extra work.......just joking, glad someone is interested !

That is a beautiful cameracase you have there, and it has a 'second life' so to speak. Johnny Cash Eh!? I just played the Carter family, as you know, related to Johnny.

Ok, first things first, here a picture of some of my cases. I have about 20 of those. Most contain singles of a specific group, and I have a case with Beatles singles, a case with Beatles EP's, one with Rolling Stones, Kinks, Bee Gees, Golden Earring, Ekseption, Shocking Blue, Aphrodite's Child, Cats, Queen, Creedence, ABBA, Hollies, Slade and Sweet. More to come if you like.....
Attachments
s1.jpg
(69.62 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Aug 2017 22:19

I love those! I also have several large LP cases from the 60's for my soft pop and psych collections...I collect them whenever I see them...If you're interested, take a look at these "blasts from the past" from my own collection...

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=80841

How many of those do YOU remember??? :-k

How many of those do you STILL own??? :shock:

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 30 Aug 2017 22:42

Thanks Vinyl Master. Yes, I already took a look at your blast from the past postings, thanks.
I do not have cases for LP's, as I do not have that many. Here some more cases for my 45's. Especially the wooden ones are of great quality.
Attachments
Dsc08212.jpg
(82.38 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Aug 2017 22:54

Awesome! Since you love the 45 rpm singles as much as I do (8,000+ and still adding to the collection!), Keesie, I'd love to see some pics of your picture sleeves and rare 45's sometime...You've got some good ones, too, from what I can tell...Take a look at some of ours here and feel free to add a few of your own to the mix! :D

viewtopic.php?t=72642

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 31 Aug 2017 09:10

Thanks Vinyl Master (stupid of me,I asked you in a PM what VM meant.....)

Being a newbee here, things are overwhelming, and easy to overlook. I read postings, and someone (well, mostly you....)add links, so I go there because I am curious. Then there is another link to something else.....

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Aug 2017 09:37

Don't worry, Keesie...Take your time and read some threads here at your leisure...There is no hurry! Remember, I've been posting here for four years and some of us for longer...You're still a "new arrival"! Of course, you will find that we are quite a friendly bunch, if not the most passionate people on the planet at times...But sometimes it's good to be passionate about something! It's a sign that one is alive! 8)

It can be a bit overwhelming at times, too, but I have to say that I am SOOO glad I found this place when I did...I also wondered why I didn't find it earlier, but one can't look back and regret too much...I think after some reading here, though, you too will be impressed! :wink:

Just don't blame me if you get addicted to this place! [-X There, I've warned you in advance! :wink: I accept no liability for whatever happens after this! :lol:

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 23 Jan 2018 03:25

RE: Crosley. Ever noticed one of the Hanpin OEM model numbers begins with FU! Ironic because that happens to be the ultimate "Up Yours" aka "Fastener With Threads, You" to the buyer. Funny irony, isn't it!

Palwyn3

Post by Palwyn3 » 15 Apr 2018 15:26

I have two players, one of which is a Crosley which I was given, it does the job and plays records, but skips a lot and also has an audible crackle. I find hat if listening to records o prefer to do so on my other turntable which feels less like a ‘novelty’ item and also sounds better, never skips, and just does the job better.