Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

anything and nothing
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your record

Post by Alec124c41 » 16 Dec 2016 16:39

It is true that there were many cheap record players, in the '50s and '60s, plastic arms and all. But back then, if you wanted to listen to music, other than the AM radio, you had to play record, and a cheap Dancette was better than having no music.
Now people want a record player, because vinyl is supposed to sound better than the other alternatives. This makes the Crosleys and their ilk a fraud. IMO they serve no legitimate function, sucking on the reputation of their betters.

Cheers,
Alec

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Dec 2016 17:23

Some people want to play records, but don't want to spend much money so in their naive state of ignorance they turn to the likes of Crosley or whatever other cheap all in one player that is readily available at wally-mart or wherever.

These things are relatively cheap compared to a good quality turntable and the sound system that you need to hook it up to.

Perhaps a few will graduate to better players and sound systems just as many of us did from the not so good ones we may have had when much younger.

Willem1671

Post by Willem1671 » 18 Dec 2016 09:19

Back in the old days indeed there were players that could, would rather, destroy your records instantly, or over time. Specially the types that had the "universal tone arms" for both microgroove or 78's. Only thing that had to be flipped was the entire cartridge or the cantilever that had two needles at either side. These are all to be avoided. However, there is a huge difference between the old style stuff and the new junk that is so widely available. And that is the way they were/are constructed. The old stuff was robust, lasted for many years and if maitained properly many are still in good condition today. How different this is from todays' junk that is badly constructed that not a single unit will last for more than a year without showing some kind of wear. Be it the "wooden" (pressed cardboard , cheap MDF) or plastic cabinets that fall apart or the rude electronics that will fail. This is the good news, they all destroy themselves. And the bad news is that in the process they will have destroyed many records, some even rare ones that could have been saved for future generations. And that's my biggest worry.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Dec 2016 17:17

Willem1671 wrote:And the bad news is that in the process they will have destroyed many records, some even rare ones that could have been saved for future generations. And that's my biggest worry.
Most rare records are super expensive...My guess is that if someone can afford some of these rare pressings, they most likely can afford a better player...I won't say this is the case in all instances, but I'm willing to bet that most collectors of the super-rare stuff know how to take good care of their records, considering how much they paid for them or how much they're worth...I may be wrong on that, but I hope I'm right...

Willem1671

Post by Willem1671 » 18 Dec 2016 18:34

Records are vulnerable, not only by playing them on crappy stuff or by rough handling but there is also another lurking danger and that comes from numerous variables. One of them being ingredients (tolueen) used for a particular vinyl because vinyl and vinyl may differ a lot. Some of the ingredients may attack other ingredients used, one of them being tolueen. Some vinyl is very susceptible for a free radical in the form of weakeners coming from plastic (pvc) sleeves meant to protect the outer jacket. BBC record library has lost many valuable records due to this fact alone. The result is a dull record surface and high noise levels. These records are lost forgood. And in the case of fighting ingredients inside the vinyl compound will cause tiny holes. These records are also lost forgood. All this not within the scope of this thread but worth to mention. So get rid of all pvc in the vicinity of records and store your records in lined inner sleeves. My experiences are that weakeners can't penetrate the plastics used for lined inner sleeves.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Dec 2016 19:54

I will personally vouch for the polylined inner sleeves...So far, I like these...

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3 ... ed-sleeves

I see they also have these black ones, too, which I might want to consider for a few special records...

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/7 ... ned-sleeve

October23

Post by October23 » 10 Jan 2017 03:54

The effect of Crosley, Jensen, Ion, etc. to vinyl records is that of burping cows to climate change.

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 30 Jan 2017 17:15

Who do folks who relentlessly bash Crosley and other players fail to recognize that they are record players, and NOT turntables? While I would not personally own one, people like Mr. Fremmer do consumers a tremendous disservice by saying these players will "carve up" vinyl after 5 plays. That has been disproved and debunked by YouTubers like vwestlife.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 30 Jan 2017 17:29

PioneerFan wrote:Who do folks who relentlessly bash Crosley and other players fail to recognize that they are record players, and NOT turntables? While I would not personally own one, people like Mr. Fremmer do consumers a tremendous disservice by saying these players will "carve up" vinyl after 5 plays. That has been disproved and debunked by YouTubers like vwestlife.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. In vwestlife's video, his record was already damaged permanently in a form of constant crackling towards the end of his video, so the damage is already irreversible. Also, a record can get carved up with a single play through a chintzy Grace Writer player in a single play due to its bent stylus on a ceramic cartridge, as seen here: http://www.knowzy.com/Electronics/Audio ... /index.htm

Also, vwestlife has already gained infamy in the VE forums for being antagonistic and narrow-minded.

And that's not even the only problem I have with these players: this includes skipping during dynamic passages, loud bass/drums, and loud transients, constant mistracking that worsens with built-in speakers turned on, and extremely inconsistent tracking force and build quality.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 30 Jan 2017 17:36

OK guys... I have a confession to make: I repaired a Crosley!!

Some guy contacted me, asking if I could fix it. While I was very reluctant, he insisted because it was a gift to his girlfriend, and it stopped working soon after she got it. Feeling sorry for the guy, I agreed to have a look at it.

So it was not a Crosley really, but a Bush branded Crosley clone (same factory probably). Looking inside, I am now convinced it is more expensive to produce the suitcase it's in, than the actual turntable. Plastic, mdf, glue, mini-motor, and a couple of ultra cheap, tiny speakers and an 'amplifier'.

The problem it had was the switch, that actuates the motor when the tonearm is moved over the record, didn't work anymore. The metal 'springs' inside the switch are so weak they'll just give up. I had to bend them back into action, the good thing is they didn't bother to put the switch into a housing, so it was easy to access #-o

Matchucalligani

Post by Matchucalligani » 13 Apr 2017 03:00

SAVE MY MARRIAGE, I'm stuck with a Crosley! I've been talking about getting a turntable and my wonderful wife decides to surprise me with nothing less than a Crosley. It's only redeeming quality is that it does have RCA outputs to run to my stereo.

TOTAL rock and a hard place here. If I turn around and buy a "better one" I won't live that down for years. On the flip side I don't want to ruin records my dad gave me.

???Can I modify the arm and cartridge at all???? Mod answers only please, spare the wood chipper/ slingshot/ incendiary device jokes. Thanks folks!

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 13 Apr 2017 04:23

If you can frame it as confirming your desire, and inspiring you to take it further, with enthusiastic appreciation, you might live. ;)

Cheers,
Alec

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Apr 2017 04:42

Matchucalligani wrote:SAVE MY MARRIAGE, I'm stuck with a Crosley! I've been talking about getting a turntable and my wonderful wife decides to surprise me with nothing less than a Crosley. It's only redeeming quality is that it does have RCA outputs to run to my stereo.

TOTAL rock and a hard place here. If I turn around and buy a "better one" I won't live that down for years. On the flip side I don't want to ruin records my dad gave me.

???Can I modify the arm and cartridge at all???? Mod answers only please, spare the wood chipper/ slingshot/ incendiary device jokes. Thanks folks!
Oh, boy, Matchucalligani...You walked RIGHT into this one! :oops: #-o

I'll save the jokes, but I will say that you have a wonderful wife for buying you a Crosley...If it really must be kept to appease her, then I would buy some cheap pressings or only play the scratchier pressings on it...You won't be doing much more damage to those than what has already been done...Too bad you don't still have your dad's record player, as even that one might have been better than what you have now...There is no option to modify the cartridge because it DOES NOT HAVE A REMOVABLE CARTRIDGE...You can replace the stylus, but it's a standard, cheap stylus...And one I wouldn't trust with my life!

The solution...To not upset the wife, keep the Crosley where she can see it...Tell her that because of her nice gift, it has inspired you to start a turntable collection, and you owe it all to her! :wink: No one ever said you couldn't own more than one, right? :-k As long as you have the room and don't get carried away (Of course, I should talk...Me, Mr. "27 turntables"! :roll:), one or two extra TT's around the house won't hurt...Maybe you want to keep one in the living room for main listening, but what if you want something in the garage to play records while you're putzing around on a project for that honey-do list...How about one for the basement or a bedroom system??? :-k And what about if something breaks on the Crosley? I can tell you that a.) broken plastic parts are not as easy to fix and b.) considering the cost of the Crosley, would it be worth it? :-k BUT, if it did need repair, there's nothing saying that you can't have a back-up turntable JUST IN CASE the inevitable wear-and-tear or total breakdown occurs...Nothing is made to last forever, as has been proven with many modern appliances, cars and computers...Of course, there are still turntables that are going on 50-60 years old that are still going strong...Trust me, I can attest to that...On the other hand, I have a neighbor who is a TV/VCR repairman...He says that about 75% of what comes into his shop now is just not worth fixing...The cost of the parts, repair and labor far exceed the cost of buying a new TV...He can fix just about anything, but he says, "It will cost you!" I guess it all depends on what something is worth to you in the end...

By the way, if the only hindrance to buying another turntable is the cost, then I suggest that a.) you read this...

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=88346

and b.) tell us where you are located in general...I bet we could find a few cheap, yet decent candidates that you could go out and audition for yourself...Sometimes these things may need a little work done to them, but if you have the time, the inclination and the patience, it can be done with the help of the knowledgeable Engineers here...If we don't know it, it can't be known! Personally, I think that a man with only one turntable is missing something in his life, but then again, that could just be me... 8-[

My two cents, FWIW!

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 13 Apr 2017 05:26

Matchucalligani wrote:SAVE MY MARRIAGE, I'm stuck with a Crosley! I've been talking about getting a turntable and my wonderful wife decides to surprise me with nothing less than a Crosley. It's only redeeming quality is that it does have RCA outputs to run to my stereo.

1.) If you dont use the crosley., she will likely see right through it, and if she is sensitive, will resent you for not using it.
2.) if you cant explain to her (in painful detail so she doesnt forget) why you cannot use a crosley on your precious records and have her fully understand, your marriage might be beyond saving. But thats a little extreme, if she bought you the turntable, shes trying. Kudos to her.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 13 Apr 2017 09:14

eddie edirol wrote:

1.) If you dont use the crosley., she will likely see right through it, and if she is sensitive, will resent you for not using it.
2.) if you cant explain to her (in painful detail so she doesnt forget) why you cannot use a crosley on your precious records and have her fully understand, your marriage might be beyond saving. But thats a little extreme, if she bought you the turntable, shes trying. Kudos to her.
How about sabotage? Darling it broke the dog must have jumped up and knocked it on the floor, not sure how the shelving unit fell though and smashed it to bits.. Oh well I need to buy a turntable now, how about this one I saw?
Worth a try :D
Chris
Edit if you dont have a dog poltergeist maybe? :wink: