Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

anything and nothing
cartoonyworld109

Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your records?

Post by cartoonyworld109 » 12 Feb 2013 02:57

I have a Crosley CR704C and the records I play on it are perfectly fine. It sounds great and nothing I've played on it has been damaged. I've had it for about 3 months. Why do people say it destroys your records?

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: Why do people say Crosley turntables destroy your record

Post by Japi Roelofs » 12 Feb 2013 13:39

Hi,

damage to records can be subtle.

I don't have any personal experience with the Crosley, but I suspect it to have a cheap and rather crude (spherical) needle. This probably needs high tracking force, which will have an effect on record wear. Also the fact that the speakers are enclosed in the same housing will send vibrations through the needle to the records, this might damage the grooves.

As long as you keep the needle very clean, and don't play it so loud that the whole thing starts to shake, there won't be severe and immediate damage. In the long run, you might want to look into a better turntable, a more refined needle, less vibration/resonance. It will sound better too...

cheers,
Japi

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 12 Feb 2013 19:51

Because we are all snobs.

Just look at it:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 29227371-2

There is wood there. REAL wood. All good stereo's have real wood!

And the cost! Why it's nearly $120. Any more is just a money down the drain.

You have us figured out - we are all just shills for overpriced gear. I am so ashamed!!

cartoonyworld109

Post by cartoonyworld109 » 12 Feb 2013 20:12

Japi Roelofs wrote:Hi,

damage to records can be subtle.

I don't have any personal experience with the Crosley, but I suspect it to have a cheap and rather crude (spherical) needle. This probably needs high tracking force, which will have an effect on record wear. Also the fact that the speakers are enclosed in the same housing will send vibrations through the needle to the records, this might damage the grooves.

As long as you keep the needle very clean, and don't play it so loud that the whole thing starts to shake, there won't be severe and immediate damage. In the long run, you might want to look into a better turntable, a more refined needle, less vibration/resonance. It will sound better too...

cheers,
Japi
So it's not the turntable itself, just the needle. I asked the company for a new cartridge because the one I had skipped during heavy bass and vibrated in the grooves. I asked the company for a new one and the one I have works fine. Never skips, but it will occasionally vibrate in the grooves (not very often, though). I think I'm fine.

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 12 Feb 2013 20:19

pivot wrote:Because we are all snobs.
You caught me red handed.

Honestly, I've compared a Crosley to a modest vintage hi-fi (costing $200) and a Crosley is nothing to be excited about. They clip at low volume, they are extremely sensitive to vibration (not good with built in speakers), the tonearm is too short which leads to lots of distortion. And yes, it did damage one of my records on a single play. However, you wouldn't notice the damage if replayed on the Crosley because it isn't capable of picking up the details that it destroyed anyway. Real wood or not, I was not impressed by the plastic platter and tonearm.

It did have auto-stop though.....I guess it is better than my SL-1200! But not better than my cheap-and-cheerful JVC with auto-return.

All joking aside, if you enjoy it then by all means keep using it. It still sounds better than an MP3.

smeg68

Post by smeg68 » 01 Mar 2013 09:29

cartoonyworld109 wrote:Never skips, but it will occasionally vibrate in the grooves (not very often, though). I think I'm fine.
i think you just proved that you're not :?

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 01 Mar 2013 11:12

no, its not the needle, as people will insist on calling it (we haven't used needles since the days of 78's).

I use a spherical stylus on several cartridges, the one I am listening to now (Rega Carbon) has a spherical stylus and tracks at 2.0g, and sounds very good indeed (for the money). I am using it to play some very valuable records (though none of them 78's). :D

there is more than a grain of truth in what pivot has stated!! [The turntable I am using at this very moment cost me about £125, and I love it!]

ps, it has to vibrate in the grooves, 'else no music! :)

rockedove

Post by rockedove » 01 Mar 2013 12:02

I assume the 80dB s/n ratio quoted for when the pickup is in the rest!? :-))
I suppose you could use the Crossley as a cutting lathe?
My very first record player was a Fidelity UA-7, with a crude crystal cart/stylus. it tracked around 7 gram-yes it do some damage to a couple of my lp's.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 01 Mar 2013 13:50

cats squirrel wrote:.....there is more than a grain of truth in what pivot has stated!! [The turntable I am using at this very moment cost me about £125, and I love it!]....
English pounds ain't US dollars and your turntable is not a complete system....so CS, you are still a snob and throwing your money away!!

Seriously - if one can't LOOK at the Crosley and see it is a POS nothing any of us can say will change that person's mind. Experiance will have to be the teacher.

majick47

Post by majick47 » 05 Mar 2013 22:40

The OP has to be joking, whats wrong with the Crosley? Just about everything you can think of is wrong. Try listening to a real turntable and then tell us if you wasted your money away on that POS. Hope the OP didn't spend too much on his records since they will soon be destroyed.

rockedove

Post by rockedove » 05 Mar 2013 23:26

One thing you got to keep in mind is. For a turntable to work properly & try extract the maximum possible information from the groove. Needs to be both well engineered & well designed. This takes money to do this.
If a turntable is built 'to cost' with the cheapest possible parts & corner cutting. Then it cannot do what was intended.
Also, if a turntable looses information from the groove, it cannot be retrieved later eg; amp speakers etc. Once information is lost, it's lost for good!

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 02 May 2013 01:10

Because they are. They are built to be as cheap and nasty as possible. Many of them track from 7-12 grams tracking force, they are nasty and distorted and do more damage to a record in one play than 3,000 plays on a good setup. You very much get what you pay for.

jimboyep

Post by jimboyep » 02 May 2013 18:46

cartoonyworld109 wrote:I have a Crosley CR704C and the records I play on it are perfectly fine. It sounds great and nothing I've played on it has been damaged. I've had it for about 3 months. Why do people say it destroys your records?
Based on some of these answers, you may be sorry you asked...

norton commando

Post by norton commando » 01 Jul 2013 00:38

If you have to ask......

Post by Guest » 04 Jul 2013 07:43

I don't think a high tracking-force necessarily means damage to records. The turntable in my Sanyo music centre tracked at 5g (ceramic cartridge with diamond stylus), but my records from that era survived pretty much unscathed (and they were played a lot). So obviously the Sanyo was doing something right.

However, I wouldn't trust my records with any of these cheap-looking modern plastic turntables. It strikes me that the Crosleys concentrate on style and nostalgia to attract buyers, and I doubt that they have much substance to them.