Rather Decent Movies About Music

anything and nothing
andybeau
long player
long player
England

Re: Rather Decent Movies About Music

Post by andybeau » 27 Jun 2015 23:24

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Begin Again(2013) staring Keira Knightly and Mark Ruffalo with Hailee steinfeld, Adam Levine, James Corden, Ceelo Green & Catherine Keener.

Very good it's about music and not what I was expecting.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 28 Jun 2015 05:04

andybeau wrote:Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Begin Again(2013) staring Keira Knightly and Mark Ruffalo with Hailee steinfeld, Adam Levine, James Corden, Ceelo Green & Catherine Keener.

Very good it's about music and not what I was expecting.
Caught it on the plane..... =D> =D> =D>

Fred

Veggie Boy
Canada

Post by Veggie Boy » 28 Jun 2015 18:05

I just stumbled across this one a couple days ago.

When Albums Ruled the World is a cool BBC documentary about the influence that LPs had on how music was composed through the sixties and seventies. Folk, prog, and themed albums are discussed by artists and producers.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Mar 2016 02:43

Just curious, but are any of you interested to see the upcoming Miles Davis bio-pic flick, starring Don Cheadle as the man himself?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.2578883

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 30 Mar 2016 03:07

Looked very interesting from the review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/movie ... .html?_r=0

Fred

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 30 Mar 2016 03:13

Not sure if anyone (including myself) has mentioned Northern Soul. My wife is holding it aside for when I get back and rates it highly not as a film, but as introduction to the backdrop of the scene. Interesting stuff as she puts it

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Mar 2016 16:00

Sounds fascinating, SF...I'll have to look for it! I'm also curious about the new bio-pic of Hank Williams, Sr. called "I Saw The Light", starring Tom Hiddleston as Hank and Elizabeth Olsen as Audrey Williams...Any one heard of it? :-k

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 10 May 2016 16:54

Veggie Boy wrote:.......snippage.......

Festival Express TRAILER

Travelling show in 1970 with Janice Joplin, Grateful Dead, The Band, Buddy Guy jamming and partying on a train across Canada playing concerts in Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary.

What makes this movie really cool for me is that the Winnipeg Stadium where they played is only a couple blocks from where I grew up. While I was a little young to be at the concert at ten years old, I was certainly in earshot.

.......more snippage......
Thanks VgBy....... =D> =D> =D>

Fred

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 May 2016 20:39

There's a good four hour film on the history of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on Netflix called Runnin Down a Dream. Directed by Peter Bogdanovich.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 May 2016 01:41

Tinkaroo wrote:There's a good four hour film on the history of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on Netflix called Runnin Down a Dream. Directed by Peter Bogdanovich.
Sounds good, Tink...I'll have to keep my eye out for that one!

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 24 May 2016 17:38

Great movies have been mentioned here, but I didn't notice these ones:

-The girl can't help it (all time fave! A 1956 bubblegum comedy starring Jayne Mansfield and featuring a truck load of rock'n'roll and other music stars of the day)
-Pete Kelly's blues (20s jazz)
-That'll be the day (set in late 50s Britain, Teds and all)
-Roadie (starring Meat Loaf, featuring Blondie and Alice Cooper)
-Slade in Flame (well duh!)
-Hunting Venus (about the reunion of an 80s pop band, starring the Men behaving badly)
-Jailhouse rock (it's not bad!)

Some good non-English language flicks:
-Pitkä kuuma kesä ("Long hot summer", one of my favourite Finnish movies, about a young punk band in the early 80s)
-Populärmusik från Vittula ("Pop music from Vittula", Swedish/Finnish, about two boys growing up in the 60s and starting a band)
-Tjenare Kungen ("Hello King", Swedish movie about a female punk band)
-Keisarikunta ("The empire", about a 50s Finnish port town bar with a swing band)
-Bandits (German movie about a female band that escapes from prison)

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 25 May 2016 07:10

- Leningrad Cowboys go America! A road movie about a polka band turned rock'n'roll band's adventures in the US. It's in English except for the first 15 minutes or so.

- Anvil: The story of Anvil. Everyone who aspires to become a rock star should see this documentary about the Canadian metal band. You know the usual rock star story "they told me to go to school and get a job but I just kept playing and now I'm famous". In reality most never make it big, do they. Anvil almost did.

All the other band movies I've mentioned are fictional, except for Anvil.

I also enjoyed these:
- Honky Tonk Man, with Clint Eastwood as a country singer
- Country Strong, with Tim McGraw, Gwyneth Paltrow, Leighton Meester, all great singers
- Music and Lyrics, romantic comedy with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 25 Jun 2016 14:59

OK so I'm left alone in this thread but I just saw the musical "Rock of Ages" and loved it! I may be a bit biased though, having grown up in the 80s, many of my favourite songs from the time were in the flick and the L.A. scene of the time feels so familiar too, even though I wasn't actually there. I may have cried a little watching it.

Light of Day ('87): not sure if I liked it but it's worth seeing, a rather serious drama involving subjects such as whether music is not the most important thing in life after all. Also you get to see Michael J. Fox, Joan Jett and Spinal Tap's Michael McKean in the same band!

I also recently caught the 2008 documentary "Wrecking Crew" about L.A. session players who played on everybody's records from Elvis and the Sinatras to the Beach Boys and the Ronettes. Very informative and well done in my opinion.

I haven't seen "I saw the light" yet. Being a huge Hank Williams fan I'm very suspicious. Has anyone seen it? The IMDB reviews are few and mostly not too flattering.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 25 Jun 2016 22:38

I'll jump in with one of my favourite films not actually about music but written around and containing the songs of The Proclaimers and called Sunshine On Leith.

It's sad, happy, joyous and heart-warming.

Thoroughly recommended.

With regards to I Saw The Light, Tom Hiddleston's performance aand singing as Hank is great but the film is weak...

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 08 Jul 2016 00:48

VMs post about Northern Soul singles reminded me of this film SoulBoy 'Set in 1974, an authentic and uplifting tale of two friends whose horizons are opened up by the discovery of black American soul music.' From IMDB

Some great music ans dancing