Rather Decent Movies About Music

anything and nothing
Finger Painter

Re: Rather Decent Movies About Music

Post by Finger Painter » 02 Sep 2014 12:19

I don't see 'Good Vibrations' mentioned. The story of Terri Hooley. Record shop owner and influential on the rise of the Belfast punk scene.

Enjoyable....to me

sparkeee

Post by sparkeee » 08 Mar 2015 22:58

American Graffiti ,in 1972 did get my 8 year old brain wired for cool cars and early Rock & Roll.

American Hot Wax.

Hail Hail Rock n Roll. Are 2 more good ones.

kenny123

Post by kenny123 » 13 Mar 2015 05:43

its a documentary,but what about the last waltz!

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 13 Mar 2015 13:05

Nobody has mentioned Telstar - the story of Joe Meek. Some people slated it for deviating from the truth somewhat but it's a useful introduction to an underrated genius. There is an allegedly definitive Joe Meek documentary which has had an extremely limited theatrical release and will come out on DVD next year. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Another film not yet mentioned is Nico: Icon. It's a documentary about Nico made in 1995 when many of the people she knew were still alive. It's quite hard to track down and I guess you have to be interested in Nico but if you are it's worth finding.

JT

Veggie Boy
Canada

Post by Veggie Boy » 14 Mar 2015 05:08

Vinyl ~ Alan Zweig INTRO

I stumbled upon this movie on the Independent Film Channel while channel surfing one day probably ten years ago. The idea of a film titled “Vinyl” about record collecting certainly caught my attention but other than that I had no pre-conceived notions about this movie.

As I proceeded through I learned it was less about the physical aspects and more about the psyche of record collectors and what causes them to obsess about the hobby. There was the infamous “K-Tel Guy” who allegedly owns “millions” of records and also claims to know the track listings of every K-Tel record ever made. Or the government bureaucrat guy that, beyond his job, was pretty much a shut-in and had issues of esteem.

It was eye opening if not a little sad and scary.

Festival Express TRAILER

Travelling show in 1970 with Janice Joplin, Grateful Dead, The Band, Buddy Guy jamming and partying on a train across Canada playing concerts in Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary.

What makes this movie really cool for me is that the Winnipeg Stadium where they played is only a couple blocks from where I grew up. While I was a little young to be at the concert at ten years old, I was certainly in earshot.

Foo Fighters ~ Sonic Highways TRAILER

This is an HBO series profiling the recording of each song on their new album in eight different cities. Each episode presents a history of influential artists that recorded in the same studio the Foo Fighters would record their new track. Favorites are New York; Seattle; and Nashville.

Veggie Boy
Canada

Post by Veggie Boy » 14 Mar 2015 05:13

Searching for Sugerman

This is a movie I discovered while surfing Netflix one evening. The story just blew me away! True story of American folk/rock artist Sixto Rodrigues of the late sixties rumoured to have committed suicide while on stage.

Unlike the other films I listed where a trailer was provided, I didn’t this time for the benefit to the uninitiated, because the trailer itself contains certain spoilers that are best left discovered during viewing.
Attachments
searching_for_sugar_man.jpg
(119.05 KiB) Downloaded 514 times

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 23 Mar 2015 02:22

For Hendrix fans:

JIMI All Is By My Side

Andre inhabits the role.... :shock:

Fred

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Mar 2015 08:05

I will say that Alan Zweig's "Vinyl" is a must-see for everyone on this forum...Some of those guys literally scare me! It's very easy for some of us to get to the place that many of those collectors were at in the film. I have to be careful not to go there, so I don't go absolutely nuts...The world's first audiophile "horror" movie, if you will...

Second, that Jimi biopic looks promising...I will definitely have to check that out...They did "The Doors"...They just need a really good one for Janis Joplin, which I've heard talked about for a while...Amy Adams was supposed to star, but apparently, the production has had legal issues, which I hope they can resolve eventually...

I hear there is a Freddie Mercury biopic in the works, too, that was to have Sacha Baron Cohen in the starring role, but will now star Ben Whishaw, who played a younger Q in the James Bond film, "Skyfall"...That could be interesting, but there's been a lot of talk about that for years...

Kurkku

Post by Kurkku » 23 Mar 2015 17:33

This might be a little crude and controversial for many people, but I personally loved it: Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Some beautiful music imo (Midnight Radio is one of my favourite songs ever). Also, not really "about" music, and not that much of a critical success, but since my first love is Queen, Highlander!

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 15 Apr 2015 18:43

B.B. King The Life Of Riley, thumbs up =D> =D>

Fred

Veggie Boy
Canada

Post by Veggie Boy » 29 May 2015 22:28

NY77 - Coolest Year In Hell

This documentary in typical VH1 fashion is pretty cool. Sure, a lot of the street scene footage was ripped off from 80 Blocks from Tiffany’s which in itself is a very cool documentary about a couple gangs in the Bronx, but NY77 covers a much wider range of what was taking place in NYC at about the same time. The birth of Punk and Hip-Hop, the flash and demise of Disco, social attitudes and local politics are all covered. Overall I found the movie to be quite a ride really. Kinda makes me nostalgic for the era.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 04 Jun 2015 15:04

Wondering how accurate the portrayal is, caught "Gene Krupa Story" on Get.TV..... =D>

If true, Gene was truly "Drum Crazy" (alt title) <---- Sal really "crazy eyed" well. Loved Susan Kohner as "Eth" who went on to star in "Imitation of Life" =D> =D>

Fred

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jun 2015 07:50

OK, guys...If you're a Beach Boys fan, you're gonna want to catch this one...

http://www.denverpost.com/movies/ci_282 ... source=rss#

John Cusack is in it...What's NOT to love, since he was in this little movie called "High Fidelity" that I'm sure many of you guys remember...

Also, Paul Dano plays the troubled Brian Wilson...Remember him from "Little Miss Sunshine"? Paul Giamatti is also in it, so it looks to be a good flick...

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 11 Jun 2015 16:19

An incredible story told through some great music...... =D>

Whiplash

Enjoy

Fred and 2 drummer movies in a row.... :shock:

kenny123

Post by kenny123 » 27 Jun 2015 05:36

What about Grand Theft Parsons,the story about Gram Parsons,not sure how much of its true,but entertaining.