Rather Decent Movies About Music

anything and nothing
Lazarus Short

Re: Rather Decent Movies About Music

Post by Lazarus Short » 11 Jan 2013 01:40

Does anybody remember:

Elephant Parts by Michael Nesmith, later of the First National Band - it's a mix of music video and comedy skit. My favorite part was "Neighborhood Nuclear Superiority."

Lisztomania by Ken Russell - I used to be a big fan, but haven't seen one of his films in decades.

Edit: I just looked up Lisztomania on IMDB, and I doubt that I'd care to see it nowadays...one can only wonder how Russell got that past the censors. [-X

pivot
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by pivot » 11 Jan 2013 02:38

Lazarus Short wrote:.........Elephant Parts by Michael Nesmith, later of the First National Band - it's a mix of music video and comedy skit. My favorite part was "Neighborhood Nuclear Superiority."

I remember see it when first out. Fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GYBg0m4K4M

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 Jan 2013 03:04

The first one I remember was The Benny Goodman Story. It turned me on to the clarinette and to jazz.

Cheers,
Alec

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 27 Feb 2013 22:46

Anybody see this movie yet?

http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/mo ... .html?_r=0

Impressions....comments..... :-k :-k Sound City ex'es...... :shock: :)

TIA

Fred and get psyched anytime "analog" is mentioned..... :)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 28 Feb 2013 16:21

Here I go answering my own posts....... :)

I give it a thumbs up and a "must see", rent, que (netflix), DVD, etc. for everyone here on VE......... =D> =D> =D> I ran out the door after work to see it at the theater when I found out the last day of NYC run is today..... The sound is excellent (to be expected) especially when experiencing the "drum room"...... :D and sitting "near field"..... :D :D

The documentary is the tale of Sound City studios as told through the eyes of David Grohl who traveled there when their band was at it's infancy...... :shock: :) hoping to make it BIG..... :D

http://soundcitystudios.net/

Though sad and now a throwback in this digital age of music production, the documentary traces the studio's life from the highest highs to the lowest lows...... :D :( :(

Upside, the legendary "Neve board" still lives in David Grohl's recording studio, Studio 606? and is being used to make "real" music....... musicians making music in real time with little to no manipulation ...... =D> =D> =D> =D> :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Neve

I am guessing that the recent recording sessions done at 606 will be released shortly and I'm guessing in vinyl for RSD..... :shock: :-k :-k :-k

Anyway a fabulous story / history for music fans...... =D> =D>

Fred and my eyes bugged out at the 2" tape machines @ 30ips..... :shock: :shock: :D

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 06 Mar 2013 03:50

From the Sound City, Studio 606 Neve board sessions:

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/03/172990757 ... l?ps=mh_fl

Happy listening

Fred

Veggie Boy
Canada

Post by Veggie Boy » 10 Mar 2013 09:58

May I recommend "American Pop" (1981)

Animated. Good story though a little far fetched.

Here is the 1981 TRAILER

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 10 Mar 2013 20:24

And yet, no one mentioned "Immortal Beloved" the life of Beethoven.
Or, "Hilary and Jackie" about Jacqueline du Pre.

Emit
banned

Post by Emit » 13 Mar 2013 01:22

1. The Gene Krupa story with Sal Minneo
2. The Glenn Miller story- Jimmy Stewart
3. La bamba - story of Richie Valens
4. Buddy Holly Story- Gary Busey
5. Great Balls of fire- Story of jerry lee lewis- Dennis quad
6. What's love got to do with it? (Tina Turner) -Angela Bassett
7. Ray: Jamie Fox just destroys!
8: Rock star: they got it 80% right...
9. Walk the line- Joachim Phoenix is Johnny Cash
10. This is elvis: Kurt Russell

youngdand
long player
long player

Post by youngdand » 26 Mar 2013 20:28

Caught this the other day, and it was indeed a very interesting documentary, and as you say the sound was excellent.

Love that Neve desk, i'd have had it if it would fit into my 2 up 2 down terrace. Never got to use a neve, but had the pleasure of using an SSL desk, and one of the first top of the range Yamaha Pro Digital Mixing Desks.

Also use to use a couple of those lovely studer multitracks, until ADAT and HDD took over.
fscl wrote:Here I go answering my own posts....... :)

I give it a thumbs up and a "must see", rent, que (netflix), DVD, etc. for everyone here on VE......... =D> =D> =D> I ran out the door after work to see it at the theater when I found out the last day of NYC run is today..... The sound is excellent (to be expected) especially when experiencing the "drum room"...... :D and sitting "near field"..... :D :D

The documentary is the tale of Sound City studios as told through the eyes of David Grohl who traveled there when their band was at it's infancy...... :shock: :) hoping to make it BIG..... :D

http://soundcitystudios.net/

Though sad and now a throwback in this digital age of music production, the documentary traces the studio's life from the highest highs to the lowest lows...... :D :( :(

Upside, the legendary "Neve board" still lives in David Grohl's recording studio, Studio 606? and is being used to make "real" music....... musicians making music in real time with little to no manipulation ...... =D> =D> =D> =D> :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Neve

I am guessing that the recent recording sessions done at 606 will be released shortly and I'm guessing in vinyl for RSD..... :shock: :-k :-k :-k

Anyway a fabulous story / history for music fans...... =D> =D>

Fred and my eyes bugged out at the 2" tape machines @ 30ips..... :shock: :shock: :D

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 05 Jul 2013 05:08

Another highly recommended film to put on the list, "20 Feet From Stardom"

Trailer here:

http://twentyfeetfromstardom.com/

Enjoy

Fred and how did I miss Lisa Fischer and Judith Hill.... #-o #-o

readwell

Post by readwell » 09 Jul 2013 19:27

Hello,
Chapter24 STILL CRAZY has my vote.
A cracking film with great music. :D =D>

Surprised no one has mentioned THE JASS SINGER with Neil Diamond. =D> =D>

Also overlooked THE BLUES BROTHERS
Great cameos throughout both films from Aretha Frankling, B.B.King, James Brown, Eric Clapton, Travis Tritt etc,etc.
Not forgettingthe Battle Of The Bands in the second film. BRILLIANT =D> =D> =D>
Regards
John

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 01 Sep 2013 23:40

Though not my usual genre or music, any mention of playlists catches my attention. Check out the DVD from the local library and I'm surprised by "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist"..... :shock:

Opening shot is of a turntable spinnin' some vinyl, has me hooked and so bear with the movie and teenage angst theme...... :oops: :)

Payoff, in theory, there is on location filming of "Electric Ladyland Studios" and if true, am totally estatic...... :shock: :shock: =D> =D> The board, electronics, mushroom mural THE(most likely "a") white strat..... :D

Happy studio sightings...... :)

Fred

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Dec 2013 12:27

I would agree with the aforementioned biopics "Ray" and "Walk The Line" about Ray Charles and Johnny Cash, respectively. Have you ever seen "Shout" with John Travolta? Why has no one mentioned "Empire Records" or "High Fidelity", for Pete's sake?!

There is "The John Denver Story" featuring Chad Lowe as John Denver, but I don't know if that was just a TV movie or is there a DVD? I would also include "The Temptations", "The Beach Boys Story" that aired on ABC, The mini-series "Shake, Rattle & Roll" with Bonnie Somerville. "Mr. Rock N' Roll: The Alan Freed Story", too. I like "Diner", too, because I relate to Daniel Stern's character of Shrevie a little. He's an anal record nerd, by the way. What about "The Five Heartbeats"? "The Doors", starring Val Kilmer? "The Buddy Holly Story" or "La Bamba" are good, too. I also hear that there's a James Brown film biopic in the works, as well!! :)

I'm waiting for "The Roy Orbison Story", starring Chris Isaak...Anyone with me on that??? (It will happen...someday! [-o< )

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Dec 2013 12:37

No one's mentioned "The School Of Rock" or "Mr. Holland's Opus"? One of my favorite TV shows, by the way, was the short-lived "Love Monkey"...That one should have been given a chance, but oh well...