Transcriptors Limited Problems - Merged Thread

anything and nothing
kantblue

Re: Transcriptors Limited Problems - Merged Thread

Post by kantblue » 17 Jan 2015 14:16

Hi all - new member here so sorry for jumping in if its not appropriate.

Recently purchased a Transcriptors Saturn turntable with the intention of getting Transcriptors to service it - thank goodness I found this forum. I did email transcriptors before I saw all the flak about them but fortunately I'm still waiting for a reply weeks later so no money has changed hands.

I've just seen that they now have a price list on their website which was posted on 11th January so they are still active. Prices seem reasonable for parts and servicing, but not if you never get the turntables back!! I've decided my best option is to try and service this turntable myself - unless any of you could recommend someone local to me in Nottingham who could do this for me. I'm hoping I can go directly to Transcriptors and get any parts there and then but I'm not overly hopeful.

I saw two complaints on their twitter feed yesterday by the way, I notice today that they have both vanished so clearly someone at Transcriptors is trying very hard to hide these complaints. Maybe they should put as much effort into actually sorting the problems rather than just trying to block the criticism.

I've tried googling "Michael Gammon Transcriptors" and when google returns the search it's now saying:
"Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe." which makes me wonder? If it is the case that Mr Gammon is asking for google to block search items then that would imply that he has time for this, but not to reply to emails etc.

In the meantime, could anybody give me some advice as to the best way to clean the various parts of a Saturn Turntable in reasonable condition for its age?

Kantblue

zharca

Post by zharca » 17 Jan 2015 23:30

I think the best advice is by all means order whatever parts you can, but don't send any money or your turntable. Perhaps the best option is to collect and pay cash!

There are several Transcriptors owners on here who can give you advice about servicing.

indyaudio

Post by indyaudio » 23 Jan 2015 12:54

Kantblue - whatever you do, DO NOT pay him a dollar. He remains a scoundrel. Long story short, with the purchase of my Skeleton last fall, I too reached out to him, needing a spindle/bearing assembly. After many emails in which he said he had the part, or could make one, or didn't have the part; after providing me parts prices, then retracting and changing the prices; always came down to "how do I pay you?"

I offered Paypal only and that ended the conversation each time. That would be a buyers only protection but apparently he's gotten sideways with those folks and it's not an option.

The man is a complete waste of your time and if you allow it to happen, your money. Run away as fast as you can. Luckily for me, with the help of the folks here, I was warned, and informed on the part I needed and one appeared on Ebay. I was the high bidder and now it's installed!
IMG_2224.jpg
(151.71 KiB) Downloaded 642 times

kantblue

Post by kantblue » 23 Jan 2015 13:35

Hi indyaudio

I have decided to do as you suggest - its a real shame as I'm sure a well run company could make a tidy profit servicing and selling the Transcriptors brand.

The Saturn, for me was a compromise - I'm really jealous of you because I actually wanted a Skeleton but as I'm sure you are aware they don't come up very often. I'm still keeping my eye out for one though! Beautiful looking turntable - I haven't seen anything that compares.

I going to try to fix the Saturn up myself, it actually doesn't look too daunting - though I might regret saying that! Like you I'm going to use ebay etc to find parts if required.

Glad to hear that you are up and running - if you don't mind me asking - what cartridge do you have fitted?

kantblue

TRman

Post by TRman » 23 Jan 2015 15:36

Kantblue, my advice is to not deal with Mr. Gammon and restore it yourself. I just did some fairly major work on a Michell Hydraulic deck that turned out very nicely. I found some components at http://www.artech-electronics.com but I'm not sure if they can help with a Saturn. Caution: if you remove the gold plated weights from the platter you will likely need to have it balanced so find someone who can do that first.

There are many excellent audiophile shops and company's in the UK, you could always entrust it to one of them too then you need not deal with Transcriptors.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Jan 2015 18:32

TRman, do not confuse Michell and Transcriptors. Michell is, by all reports, very helpful and reliable.

Cheers,
Alec

indyaudio

Post by indyaudio » 23 Jan 2015 22:43

kantblue wrote:Hi indyaudio

I have decided to do as you suggest - its a real shame as I'm sure a well run company could make a tidy profit servicing and selling the Transcriptors brand.

The Saturn, for me was a compromise - I'm really jealous of you because I actually wanted a Skeleton but as I'm sure you are aware they don't come up very often. I'm still keeping my eye out for one though! Beautiful looking turntable - I haven't seen anything that compares.

I going to try to fix the Saturn up myself, it actually doesn't look too daunting - though I might regret saying that! Like you I'm going to use ebay etc to find parts if required.

Glad to hear that you are up and running - if you don't mind me asking - what cartridge do you have fitted?

kantblue
Thanks for the comments, agree, even my pals that are not into vinyl love this thing! It fell in my lap, nothing I even knew existed or was looking for.

I'm not up and running yet - my motor and switch work, I have the pulley and now the spindle turns my platter. I need a belt and some attention on the tone arm as wiring isn't showing 4 leads. I don't have a cartridge mounted at this point in time. Will keep you all posted.

JannikR

Post by JannikR » 16 Mar 2015 12:23

Hi

My story with Michael Gammon.

In April 2014 I've purchased an Transcriptor Transcriber without a micro tracer (tonearm). I had contacted Michael Gammon about fitting a new micro tracer. The price 500 Pound for tonearm and service wasn't cheap but OK.

He also said he will sent me back the turntable within a few weeks. April 2014

After a lot of unanswered Emails he said it will be finish and I could sent him the money 500 Pounds + 50 Pounds shipping. So I've sent him the 550 Pounds at the end of September 2014

Since then.
I haven't got a turntable or a good communication with Michael.

The last email was about a month ago. Still no turntable.

What can I do?

I appreciate any help, because I am a student and it's a lot of money to me.

In the thread, there were also mentioned some deleted tweets, there were mine.

Big John

Post by Big John » 16 Mar 2015 17:19

Show police this thread & make allegation of theft as there is obviously a deliberate course of action, Trading Standards are a waste of time. I have been trying to get my money back for years...

TRman

Post by TRman » 16 Mar 2015 17:30

Hi JannikR,
He ripped me off and I filed a police report and made a formal fraud claim with my credit card company.

I informed Mr. Gammon what I was doing and he eventually sent me what I paid for. I recommend you do the same as the police reports can be referenced to each other. It's really easy to do, it's online and very user-friendly, even if you don't live in the UK. Here's where to get started: www.actionfraud.police.uk. Make sure you enter all his company details, address & phone numbers etc.

Don't let him get away with his thieving ways. Good Luck!

tomlj

Post by tomlj » 12 Jun 2015 21:45

Just for the record, I paid Michael for a motor back in February, to date he's yet to answer my emails in any meaningful way, let alone send me the motor I paid him for. I'm shortly going to file a claim to try and recover my money. In case anyone is considering it, I'd strongly recommed not doing business with this person.

Now, if anyone knows a source for a motor to suit a hydraulic reference please let me know... :)

2cankarkuss

Post by 2cankarkuss » 30 Jun 2015 08:15

dave long at aud-guy in vermont, usa. he's on ebay (usa), or at " the audio guy online ". he has motors listed currently. good guy, no b.s.. hope this helps, mark

TRman

Post by TRman » 30 Jun 2015 13:56

Dave Lang: Very helpful, I bought parts from him. A good experience all round.

By mail:
Artech Electronics Ltd.
P.O. BOX 1547
Williston, VT 05495
Phone: (800) 631-6448
Email: info@artech-electronics.com
Web: www.artech-electronics.com

Swidnica_brit

Post by Swidnica_brit » 23 Sep 2015 21:23

This might be an extraordinary post considering what I've read on here but...., I've dealt with Michael recently regarding some spare parts for my turntable and they've all turned up on time and with minimum fuss and some friendly emails going back & forth, I'd even arranged to pop in and see the new turntables while I was in the UK but that never happened, my fault not his..

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 24 Sep 2015 00:50

Trust is easily lost, and hard to win back.
Perhaps Mike is getting it together ...

Cheers,
Alec