Transcriptors Limited Problems - Merged Thread

anything and nothing
beefree7

Transcriptors Limited Problems - Merged Thread

Post by beefree7 » 31 Mar 2011 18:04

A cautionary tale- I have spent the last three years trying to get some help from Michael Gammon at Transcriptors, and am most dissatisfied. I found him to be uncommunicative to the point of blatant rudeness, he made lethargy into an artform, and never did provide the parts I had requested, despite advance payment. All I got was empty promises. I eventually had to source the parts on e-bay, and would never deal with this man again.
I have had many Transcriptors turntables over the last thirty plus years, and always found David Gammon, the founder, to be superb with his service.
The son does not know the meaning of customer service.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 01 Apr 2011 06:34

I seem to remember someone else here waiting months to have an order fulfilled ,with distinct lack of communication from him.

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 01 Apr 2011 08:01

I seem to remember someone else here waiting months to have an order fulfilled ,with distinct lack of communication from him.
That would have been me and my several month wait for a DC motor for the Logic after paying cash up front.

Shame really because the motor unit is very good.

I remember another VE member having exactly the same issue.

Werner
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Werner » 01 Apr 2011 09:07

At TNT Audio magazine we hear quite a few similar stories.

steve195527
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by steve195527 » 01 Apr 2011 22:12

Was going to buy the DC motor kit they make for my Linn,but after a few emails/phone calls to find out some details of type of motor used etc I couldn't get hold of him,no answer to calls and emails were getting bounced back,glad it happened before I had parted with any cash

zharca

Post by zharca » 02 Apr 2011 23:12

Steve, if that was this year then I believe Michael was very much out of circulation with pneumonia, though i must admit I've also found him hard to contact at times.

For an insight into where the company is going, try the next two issues of Hi-Fi News: I think a history of Transcriptors by Ken Kessler in the next issue, and then a review of the new turntable in the May one.

My understanding is that all the parts, jigs and documentation for the Transcriptors turntables were destroyed in the 1980's, so all the support for the old models has had to be recreated from scratch.

joyceju

Any Comments About Transcriptors Turntables

Post by joyceju » 08 Sep 2011 13:00

I was thinking of treating myself to a higher end turntable than my current Systemdek. I have always fancied one of the original old Transcriptors turntables, because of the looks mainly. Or perhaps one of the new ones, as I heard they had started again a couple of years ago.
Has anyone any comments or feedback about the sound quality of the old ones from the 1970s - do they still stand the test of time, even if they may be outdated by now technically (are they?). Are they worth the money?

Similarly, has anyone got or listened to one of the new models being made by the restarted company, again, any feedback welcome - are they worth the price, compared to other similar priced decks? Is the new company even still going - could not find any recent reviews, places selling the new models, or price information online (only stuff from about 2009).

Thanks alot for any thoughts and feedback. Justin

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 08 Sep 2011 13:14

The impression I get about the current incarnation of Transcriptors is they're a bit haphazard. I was interested in one of their DC kits a couple of years ago and the first email took 2 weeks for a reply and I'm waiting to hear about the follow up :roll: .

They had an ebay shop which gathered a number of negative feedbacks for non-delivery. It was closed, re-opened and closed again. David Gammon was a member of this forum a few years ago but AFAIK hasn't posted lately.

As for the vintage ones... I only saw a Saturn up close and it was, I'm afraid, a POS. My usual repair man was particularly scathing about it and he's generally charitable. The Saturn was their budget model, I'm sure the better decks had higher build quality.

I'm not completely down on Transcriptors, I have one of their beautifully made stylus balances and their other accessories (stylus brush, record sweep brush) were also elegant and well constructed.

JT

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 08 Sep 2011 13:24

Ok, I had a Lenco when I was 20 , now I am 40 in October. I hated the Lenco, but I am sure I did not address the idler and bearings at the time as i was a student and had other worries :D . If you can wait for a reply to this question I will reply via here or PM (remind me), but my birthday is on the 3rd of Oct and it is when I will be trying my Commonwealth idler. I have fitted a 12 inch new Jelco and the plinth is made of black bean (which is nearly unavailable), which is 32kgs :D . The idler has a new bush and has a new tyre fitted running the original in a laith and fitting a tyre. the motor and bearing have been rebuilt as have everything else. If this is Nivarna great, but I have been into TTs since I was 14, I really hope this is going to be worth it as i have had so many TTs and if it is not I will say so.
Sorry this is not an answer.
CL

Rap
Iceland

Post by Rap » 08 Sep 2011 15:02

cafe latte wrote:Ok, I had a Lenco when I was 20 , now I am 40 in October. I hated the Lenco, but I am sure I did not address the idler and bearings at the time as i was a student and had other worries :D . If you can wait for a reply to this question I will reply via here or PM (remind me), but my birthday is on the 3rd of Oct and it is when I will be trying my Commonwealth idler. I have fitted a 12 inch new Jelco and the plinth is made of black bean (which is nearly unavailable), which is 32kgs :D . The idler has a new bush and has a new tyre fitted running the original in a laith and fitting a tyre. the motor and bearing have been rebuilt as have everything else. If this is Nivarna great, but I have been into TTs since I was 14, I really hope this is going to be worth it as i have had so many TTs and if it is not I will say so.
CL
And this has something to do with Transcriptors in some way that eludes me.

zharca

Re: Any Comments About Transcriptors Turntables

Post by zharca » 08 Sep 2011 22:27

joyceju wrote: Has anyone any comments or feedback about the sound quality of the old ones from the 1970s - do they still stand the test of time,
The original Transcriptors turntables are gorgeous style icons and very collectible, hence the high prices when a nice example comes up for sale. I think it's fair to say that the looks far exceed the sound quality and that, even when they were current, they weren't the best-sounding turntables around. The original arms really do need a high-compliance cartridge.
joyceju wrote: could not find any recent reviews).
Michael Gammon did send a turntable to Hi-Fi News for review at the end of February and it was in Steve Harris' hands for some time, certainly until July. I think the original intention was that the review appeared the month after the Ken Kessler history of Transcriptors (April?). For some reason the review hasn't appeared, which may or may not say something about the conclusions.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 08 Sep 2011 23:56

Rap wrote:
cafe latte wrote:Ok, I had a Lenco when I was 20 , now I am 40 in October. I hated the Lenco, but I am sure I did not address the idler and bearings at the time as i was a student and had other worries :D . If you can wait for a reply to this question I will reply via here or PM (remind me), but my birthday is on the 3rd of Oct and it is when I will be trying my Commonwealth idler. I have fitted a 12 inch new Jelco and the plinth is made of black bean (which is nearly unavailable), which is 32kgs :D . The idler has a new bush and has a new tyre fitted running the original in a laith and fitting a tyre. the motor and bearing have been rebuilt as have everything else. If this is Nivarna great, but I have been into TTs since I was 14, I really hope this is going to be worth it as i have had so many TTs and if it is not I will say so.
CL
And this has something to do with Transcriptors in some way that eludes me.
Opps :oops: :oops: :oops: I dont know how i did that I thought I was writing about broadcast TTs :oops:
I always wanted a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference but they were sooo expensive. Last time I was in the UK there was one in a little shop in Wallasey with spilt oil, but otherwise perfect. There was no way really to get it back to Aus, that and I was getting the NOOO!! look from the missus :)
CL
Edit.. It is a really bizare little shop and it was stacked inside amongst other junk it is the sort of place were it may even still be there..
CL

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 09 Sep 2011 07:18

Did have a Hydraulic Reference with a Hadcock and a damped glass platter sitting on top of the original platter until about 10 years ago and beautiful to look at it as they are the sound quality really was no comparison to the Systemdek that followed it,and they are so BIG :!:

If you want a style icon go for it but you can get far better sound quality for less.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 09 Sep 2011 07:23

abril wrote:Did have a Hydraulic Reference with a Hadcock and a damped glass platter sitting on top of the original platter until about 10 years ago and beautiful to look at it as they are the sound quality really was no comparison to the Systemdek that followed it,and they are so BIG :!:

If you want a style icon go for it but you can get far better sound quality for less.
Do they really sound so bad??
CL

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 09 Sep 2011 07:31

I wouldn't say BAD ,just not great and in the current market given their typical prices just not good value.

The Systemdek I had to follow it
simply ran rings around it - even with the Hadcock arm fitted.