Some interesting thoughts on thrift store buying...

anything and nothing
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Some interesting thoughts on thrift store buying...

Post by vinyl master » 08 Dec 2019 12:27

Now, personally, I like to save what I can from going into the landfills...as I've mentioned before...And I dig shopping at thrift stores...This article, though, has given me a bit of pause...

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/78470258 ... ket-newtab

It is similar to this other article I read recently...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/we-a ... ket-newtab

It won't keep me from thrift store shopping, because I still have a budget to attend to, I have fun and I love the thrill of the hunt...We even have a couple threads that wouldn't exist if it weren't for those thrift shops...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=99317
viewtopic.php?t=88346

The phenomenon even has it's own song...

..and a "cleaner" version, for comparison...

Still, it is food for thought... :-k

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Some interesting thoughts on thrift store buying...

Post by fscl » 19 Dec 2019 17:53

It was shocking when I heard this on the radio, especially from an IKEA executive no less:

https://www.npr.org/2016/01/22/46401371 ... peak-stuff

Does that mean we’ve run out of square footage in homes / storage facilities / etc to house our “stuff”

Watching the “Hoarders” series from the Vudu box (stuff that updates a flat panel TV) really got me scared....... :shock: Of course I’m nowhere near some of the episodes but I’ve got enough stuff so that a recent health scare and a helpful “clear out” by the kids reduced my “stuff” I’m / they are going to have to sift through when I disappear...... :old-git:

Will have to face being Kondoized, problem is the vinyl stuff still gives me joy...... #-o

I guess the blessing for me is that the turntables will eventually be restored, given away and / or sold off. Still have good ratings on fleabay.

Still believe in reuse / recycle and so will try to repair restore what I can first. utoob is a great resource for troubleshooting. Fixed the SO’s son’s PS 2 Slim, Needless to say he was happy and able to use his older games ...... =D> =D>

I like to use all my stuff to the bitter end, my bro still can’t believe my Palm TX is functional and charging. Can no longer sync, however, this means my data is “air gapped” and in a way secure..... :wink: The previous smart phones ended up “bricked” otherwise I’d still have them. 1 the OS was corrupted the 2nd motherboard overheated...... :twisted: Is this “planned” obsolescence ?

Thrift shop goods of interest are getting rarer with the advent of “smartphones” so no longer find stuff there.

Doesn’t help when downsizing means a manned office, parent’s abode(s), good friend’s who’ve passed “stuff”.

Fred

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 29 Dec 2019 16:50

vinyl master wrote:
08 Dec 2019 12:27
Still, it is food for thought... :-k
For sure. :lol:

I believe I once said you must have a humongous house considering the amount of gear and records you show and talk about. Honestly, to each his or her own, but if it doesn't fit in your house, you probably never see it.

So why have it?

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 29 Dec 2019 18:20

Seems society as a whole we are finding out our capacity to create things is overcrowding and complicating our capacity to live harmoniously with nature, which maintains it's own level of the 1st law of thermodynamics. Plastic lasts many more generations than biologic matter does. It's a big problem, right now. I figure the future is going to be all about trying to sustain a balance. Politics and commerce though are still in the dark ages to this equilibrium. I'm all for re use, salvaging, conserving, maintaining. As for collecting things, I understand that, but not my interest. As VM says. It's the hunt. I have an inlaw whom when he was a treasury/ customs agent, said the same. What you do with the stuff is where my eyes start to cross. Typical of an aging retiree. Get it outta here I say!