Interesting times.

anything and nothing
vanakaru

Interesting times.

Post by vanakaru » 24 Nov 2019 06:56

While giving some advise on the turntable I also possess it came to that we live in interesting situation. Back in 70's/80's you bought just one turntable and lived with it. Maybe in coming years upgraded to better one.
Now many of us have tens of these(vintage) highly praised machines and yet desire and afford to get another one.
It's like working in the electronics store back then.

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Re: Interesting times.

Post by davidsss » 24 Nov 2019 08:20

I still have the one TT upgraded maybe a decade ago. I can't see a time when I'll run more than one at a time.

Must be an old fella.

DS

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 24 Nov 2019 18:26

To be honest, the only people I know who have tens of TTs are collectors who don't listen to music that much. Except for VM who seems to listen as much as he collects. :lol:

Seriously, most of my music lover friends only have one, sometimes two, TT.

Now, I have a few more but they are left over from the time I was buying and selling. I need to sell them but the idea annoys me. :D

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 24 Nov 2019 18:56

Hmm, looking at the topic "How many turntables you have?" I get different picture. To be real vinyl enthusiast you must have at least 2 turntables.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 24 Nov 2019 21:18

vanakaru wrote:
24 Nov 2019 18:56
Hmm, looking at the topic "How many turntables you have?" I get different picture. To be real vinyl enthusiast you must have at least 2 turntables.
You can be an enthusiast with one good turntable. You and I are addicts.

Cheers,
Alec

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Nov 2019 05:36

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
24 Nov 2019 18:26
To be honest, the only people I know who have tens of TTs are collectors who don't listen to music that much. Except for VM who seems to listen as much as he collects. :lol:

Seriously, most of my music lover friends only have one, sometimes two, TT.

Now, I have a few more but they are left over from the time I was buying and selling. I need to sell them but the idea annoys me. :D
Well, I am into the music as much as I am into the gear, but I was into the music first...All these turntables sorta came at me like lost puppies and the prices were right, or else I probably wouldn't have considered them...I like them all for different reasons, and although I probably could sell a few, the idea annoys me, too...I don't know why, though... :-k

But then again, I've collected lots of things over the years and have had quite a few hobbies...If it wasn't for my "vinyl mentor" encouraging me to get back into the hobby, who knows if I'd even be into it today, or at least not at the level I'm at now... :-k

All it takes is one person to get you going down the rabbit hole and pretty soon, you're so far down, you don't know which way is up! :lol:

Plus, I'm willing to bet that if each of you personally knew ONE human being who was a crazy audiophile nut and/or diehard collector, more of you would have more than one TT in your collections...Before I met my vinyl mentor, he probably had about 3 or 4 TT's in various conditions...Little did he know that his enthusiasm for vinyl would spur me onto greater heights and he still marvels to this day that I've surpassed even his wildest expectations! :o

As I've said before, the key is keeping it all in fun, or else why do it??? :?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Nov 2019 05:47

vanakaru wrote:
24 Nov 2019 06:56
While giving some advise on the turntable I also possess it came to that we live in interesting situation. Back in 70's/80's you bought just one turntable and lived with it. Maybe in coming years upgraded to better one.
Now many of us have tens of these(vintage) highly praised machines and yet desire and afford to get another one.
It's like working in the electronics store back then.
By the way, vanakuru...Back in the day, a stereo system was something you saved for...Sure, you could buy used equipment, but unless it was a really nice Garrard or Dual, most used equipment (like the old consoles and BSR's, for example) probably wasn't up to par with the new stuff coming out in the 70's...Now, we have a plethora of decent equipment from the 70's and 80's that people have stored away in their basements, garages, attics, etc. and a lot of people who get their music from other sources now might not see that equipment as valuable, due to it gathering dust for many years, although we audio gear nuts might see otherwise...Craigslist and EBay have also made it easier to find a good turntable at a decent price...Garage sales, estate sales and flea markets have been good sources, too...The key to getting good deals on this stuff is just to be patient and keep your eyes open...That's how much of my equipment came to me...Being in the right places at the right time has also helped, but also, the supply of TT's in the wild, I think, surpasses the number of old guys left who used to work on this equipment daily (as they've all either retired or passed on), so it's up to the rest of us to keep these machines going...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 25 Nov 2019 09:21

The more enthusiastic members of this website don't represent the average person out there who don't tend to share the same level of appreciation for records or audio gear. There are a lot of regulars on this website who own more than one turntable. Perhaps it's a spare. Perhaps they saw one they liked at a good price and bought it. Perhaps they have more than one stereo system set up. Perhaps they might hope to pass one on to a niece or nephew or someone who might appreciate it and treat it with respect.

The audio industry also isn't what it was in the golden age of turntables. Many of us know that these vintage turntables can't be replaced with what is currently manufactured today except at a very steep price for the same quality. We buy a vintage turntable and through what knowledge we've learned from fellow VE enthusiasts make it functional again. Some might think that's weird but some of us think pitching them in a landfill is a lot worse.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 25 Nov 2019 09:43

Yes, Alec we are, but enthusiastically so. It has happened to me many times that I get yet another TT(usually the price very is tempting), clean it up nice, make everything function properly, set up cartridge, listen some records and think ....now I can stop - it wouldn't get any better - until the next temptation crops up.
I listen records every day, usually 2-4 hours. And what can be more pleasing than tinker with old gear while doing it.

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 25 Nov 2019 17:40

vanakaru wrote:
25 Nov 2019 09:43
Yes, Alec we are, but enthusiastically so. It has happened to me many times that I get yet another TT(usually the price very is tempting), clean it up nice, make everything function properly, set up cartridge, listen some records and think ....now I can stop - it wouldn't get any better - until the next temptation crops up.
I listen records every day, usually 2-4 hours. And what can be more pleasing than tinker with old gear while doing it.
At this rate, you must change stylii (or cartridges, if MC) every year!

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 25 Nov 2019 18:59

Ottermel wrote:
25 Nov 2019 17:40

At this rate, you must change stylii (or cartridges, if MC) every year!
Well, it is not only the turntables that pile up. I think I have enough cartridges and styli to last my lifetime(I admit it sounds silly).

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 26 Nov 2019 02:10

It is getting hard to tempt me with a better turntable, but I would still rescue a lost puppy. I pass them on for nominal prices, or give them to people who need one.
I hate to see a good turntable go to landfill.
And yes, I have more cartridges than I will ever need. :)

Cheers,
Alec

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 27 Nov 2019 17:41

vinyl master wrote:
25 Nov 2019 05:36
As I've said before, the key is keeping it all in fun, or else why do it??? :?
Agreed. And you sure seem to be doing just that. So, keep on trucking...