If you guys wanna see something cool...

anything and nothing
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

If you guys wanna see something cool...

Post by vinyl master » 24 Apr 2019 02:40

I thought you guys might be interested in this, esp. all the classic car lovers out there...

I've talked up my radio restoration guru, Chris, for quite some time here on various threads...I thought, though (and I hope he doesn't mind too much) that you might like to see a pic of him...

Even more interesting is where he works in his "day job" when he's not fixing vintage equipment!

He's STILL fixing vintage equipment! :mrgreen: =D>

Take a look at this VERY COOL local automotive museum where he works during the daytime!

http://www.stahlsauto.com/

Jay Leno has even visited there and you can see some of the cool cars showcased...

http://www.stahlsauto.com/automobile-collection/

And you think YOUR music machines are old??? Check out these ones ALSO at the museum! =D>

http://www.stahlsauto.com/music-machines/

Maybe one day I'll have some time to go check it out in person...In the meantime, I thought all you vintage lovers might like to check it out online...Here is a great video one of our local TV stations did on it...You can see Chris in one of the last frames firing up an engine...

Pretty cool, eh??? 8)

Veggie Boy
Canada

Re: If you guys wanna see something cool...

Post by Veggie Boy » 24 Apr 2019 11:05

Gotta love that Tucker. That car alone is worth what? $1.5 Million?

Nice that you get to work with a rolling piece of art like that in your environment!

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 24 Apr 2019 16:12

Beautiful objects. My favorite period is 30's up to pre war. Love also the Italian designed bodies in cars of the 50's. But all these oldies have such class built into them. Like works of art. Makes cars of today seem like, as Mickey Rourke's line in the movie Sin City. "Cars today, they all look like electric shavers". My sisters husband has a Tesla, outside you couldn't tell it from a host of other "shavers" out there. But inside is where it's unique. No instrument cluster, just a clean wood veneer strip going across the dash, and a touch monitor screen to interface with the car.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 24 Apr 2019 16:18

Vinyl Master, I've read some of your posts about the 'radio restoration guru', and somehow I was expecting to see a much, much older person...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Apr 2019 02:10

Japi Roelofs wrote:
24 Apr 2019 16:18
Vinyl Master, I've read some of your posts about the 'radio restoration guru', and somehow I was expecting to see a much, much older person...
Well, see, Japi...THAT'S just it...He's YOUNG!! He's 29 years old and has always been interested in fixing up vintage equipment...When he had his big estate sale a few years back, I checked it out as documented here...

viewtopic.php?t=82372

His mom and dad were helping him with the sale (as he likes to weed out his duplicate items from time to time and thin the herd) and his dad told me that he was always just naturally drawn to working on older electronics, even as a young kid...He eventually started apprenticing with an older gentleman who ran an antique shop and would do various repairs on items in the shop...Pretty soon, he started collecting old radios and then, built up a collection of Sam's Photofacts, just so he could work on them...Now, he has probably about 800+ radios in the collection, culled from various estates and collectors around the country and has gotten into working on old Predicta TV sets, too, among other things...You can see some of that here in his kitchen and garage...

Those were taken after a big trip to California to buy out the estate of a lifelong collector who had passed away...

He's really a great guy with a knack for these sorts of repairs...AND If you think that's bad, you should see his basement workshop! #-o

He's been going to flea markets and antique shows for years, too...I met him several years ago when he and his partner were selling some of the old radios he'd fixed up at my local outdoor antique show...I thought it was great that someone young like him was into the hobby and we've just kept in touch ever since...It's nice to see that there are some young people who appreciate the value of these old things and want to keep them around for the next generation...And of course, it's great to go visit him and hear Ella Fitzgerald and Nat King Cole playing through one of his Grundigs or Graetzes...

By the way, this is the same guy who owns a couple of Zenith Chairside radios, fixed up and owns a Blaupunkt Arkansas console bar, a Radiogram bar and a Regina music box WITH the discs to play on it!

I think the love for vintage music machines just led to his love for vintage cars, too...

Far out, eh??? :mrgreen: 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Nov 2019 02:40

By the way, in case you guys missed it, I did go visit the museum...Here's my thread on that...

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=114638