rega planar 2

on level ground
Post Reply
floydster
junior member
junior member
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Dec 2013 17:25

rega planar 2

Post by floydster » 18 Feb 2014 12:43

hello there,just got a planar 2 tt in excellant condition only problem is that it needs a tonearm & cartridge,is it worth buying a tonearm & cartridge or putting money towards a new tt,many thanks

regabob
member
member
Posts: 128
Joined: 02 Feb 2014 10:45

Re: rega planar 2

Post by regabob » 18 Feb 2014 14:47

I'd get a new TT - by the time you've got a new arm - eg: RB250 and a decent cartridge, you'll be well into new RP3 price range. Plus you'll want to replace that old Planar 2 rubber band suspended motor.

JohnMichael
senior member
senior member
Posts: 444
Joined: 02 Jan 2010 23:50
Location: Newark, Ohio

Re: rega planar 2

Post by JohnMichael » 18 Feb 2014 17:51

I think it depends on how you acquired the Planar 2. If someone gave it to you free I would look for a used RB250 tonearm. If you purchased the Planar 2 I think it would have higher resale with an arm. I would not invest in any of the highly modded arms available unless you want to keep the table a long time.

The Planar 2 can certainly be raised to a higher level of performance as I did with mine. Of course I added mods through many years and the cash outlay at any one time was minimal. Would I buy all those mods at one time? No I would buy a new turntable.

The Planar 2 out of the box was a very nice table for the money and if you will only be playing vinyl occasionally I would buy a used RB250 and enjoy it for what it is. I would not even try an RB300 arm since the platter thickness of the Planar 3 were thicker than the one on the Planar 2 and you might have trouble with the vertical tracking angle of the cartridge

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 22828
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 04:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: rega planar 2

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Feb 2014 19:17

If you can find a used Sumiko MMT arm, it will beat a stock Rega arm.
Alse highly recommended, a machined metal sub-platter.
The motor does not need replacing, but a new 6 inch O-ring and/or a foam plastic ring from a spindle of CDRs between the motor and the plastic cover will stabilize it.
Oil the motor and the platter bearings, put on a Dl-110, and you have a very fine turntable.

Cheers,
Alec

[nomis]
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Aug 2013 12:07

Re: rega planar 2

Post by [nomis] » 24 Feb 2014 23:56

The Planar 2 is a basic TT which is very easy to repair, modify or improve depending on your needs (I have an early 80s vintage Planar 2 that still sounds great). I recently changed the ailing R200 tonearm for a 2nd hand RB250 (bought from a well-known internet auction site). The RB250 doesn't have the tracking force adjustment of the RB300 but it's simple to set up and is a straight swap for the original R200 (the later tonearms require 3 holes to be drilled into the plinth to secure them). I decoupled the suspended motor by fitting a thin layer of sorbothane between the motor & the bracket (use the metal bracket as a template & cut with a scalpel or hobby knife) and suspended it by 2 belts, it's pretty rigid! Rega's own new white drive belt has replaced a stretched black one and it spins up to speed well. There is no knocking or rattling from the motor, just give the heavy glass platter a flick with a finger to reduce the initial load on the motor at start-up. I also fitted a thrust bearing on the original motor which may have helped and a ruby sapphire spindle bearing and fresh oil. Enjoy your Planar 2 while you can.

jazzpastorn
Posts: 1
Joined: 06 Mar 2014 09:36

Re: rega planar 2

Post by jazzpastorn » 06 Mar 2014 10:42

During the years I have upgraded my Planar 2 with some Michael Lim aftermarket products, and I have to say that they are both cost-effective and easy to install. The motor-isolation base proved to be an excellent upgrade for me.

plastico
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 589
Joined: 22 Mar 2008 23:44
Location: Sudbury,Canada

Re: rega planar 2

Post by plastico » 06 Mar 2014 15:01

jazzpastorn wrote: The motor-isolation base proved to be an excellent upgrade for me.
I could not believe the level of improvement that this upgrade did for my P3!

Cheers, Doug

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland
Posts: 1135
Joined: 11 Mar 2008 18:37
Location: AT450E, Glaschu, Alba.
Contact:

Re: rega planar 2

Post by james73_2008 » 13 Mar 2014 03:59

JohnMichael wrote:The Planar 2 out of the box was a very nice table for the money and if you will only be playing vinyl occasionally I would buy a used RB250 and enjoy it for what it is. I would not even try an RB300 arm since the platter thickness of the Planar 3 were thicker than the one on the Planar 2 and you might have trouble with the vertical tracking angle of the cartridge
Are you sure about that? I use a AO-modified RB250 on my Planar 3 and it sits
at exctly the same height as my RB300 does, without the need for shims.



James H

JohnMichael
senior member
senior member
Posts: 444
Joined: 02 Jan 2010 23:50
Location: Newark, Ohio

Re: rega planar 2

Post by JohnMichael » 13 Mar 2014 20:14

james73_2008 wrote:
JohnMichael wrote:The Planar 2 out of the box was a very nice table for the money and if you will only be playing vinyl occasionally I would buy a used RB250 and enjoy it for what it is. I would not even try an RB300 arm since the platter thickness of the Planar 3 were thicker than the one on the Planar 2 and you might have trouble with the vertical tracking angle of the cartridge
Are you sure about that? I use a AO-modified RB250 on my Planar 3 and it sits
at exctly the same height as my RB300 does, without the need for shims.



James H
I probably should have specified my era of table. My glass platter on my Planar 2 was 9mm thick with 3mm for the mat. The Planar 3's had a platter if I remember correctly that was 12mm with the 3mm mat. So the Planar 2 & mat were 12mm and the 3's combination were 15mm. I think the 3mm difference would need to be compensated. When I purchased my Funk Firm Achroplat at the time it came in 12mm and 15mm thicknesses. I purchased the 12mm they marketed for the Planar 2. I am able to switch between platters without adjusting VTA. It may work but will VTA be ideal?

Post Reply