RP1 Feet Upgrade

on level ground
Post Reply
David J

RP1 Feet Upgrade

Post by David J » 03 Oct 2013 22:54

So I just got my new feet..

I ordered a new set of aluminum feet from the Rega enthusiast Michael Lim, along with a new bearing nut. I just wanted to share my results with you.

Since my acrylic platter is way heavier than the original platter, I figured why not improve the rigidity and hopefully dissapate some of the vibrations.

Thats why I threw in the bearing nut in the order, but I was aiming for the feet. I mounted and installed both upgrades in minutes and the results are stunning, at least to me. Been listening to some records for the better part of the evening and I can't decide whether I'm experiencing placebo or this actually made a difference in my setup.

The sound seems clearer and more focused to me, in lack of a better description. In all honesty I didn't even buy them expecting a sonic improvement, I just thought they looked amazing. I'll have to give this some more listening to be sure, but to be clear, I love the elegance they bring to my simple Rega.

Alright, back to listening..

lofijunkie

Re: RP1 Feet Upgrade

Post by lofijunkie » 04 Oct 2013 03:22

The degree of "improvement" IMO is also overall system dependent.
Got back into playing records when the RP1 was introduced. Did some
mods-sub,weight and feet. MC cart as well. Huge improvements.
Fortunately it all transferred to a P5.
Kept the P5 for awhile then moved on.
The sub and cart were the only things I would change unless you are staying with a Rega by upgrading later.
Stock feet turned upside down with a ring? Does look nicer than stock.
I found the mapleshades w/slab a nice visual and subtle sonic mod.
Since that plinth is so sensitive to any vibration, the massive brass on the maple seemed to Help.
The modding does get to a point of diminishing returns.19929

endrik35
member
member
Posts: 90
Joined: 30 Apr 2010 12:47
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: RP1 Feet Upgrade

Post by endrik35 » 04 Oct 2013 10:13

Michael recommended putting a plastic tape on the hole and filling it with sand(inverted rubber feet). I modified it by filling it up with blu tack instead, less messy but same result imho :) Congrats on your upgrade! Cheers!

tomytoons
senior member
senior member
Posts: 792
Joined: 08 May 2012 01:09
Location: Lower NC

Re: RP1 Feet Upgrade

Post by tomytoons » 04 Oct 2013 16:58

There ya go. I used modeling clay and worked well.

Post Reply