Sand-filled Feet

on level ground
nickjj
broken record

Sand-filled Feet

Post by nickjj » 14 May 2013 06:13

I bought Michael Lim's aluminium feet with his double pulley for my modded RP3 about 6 months ago and was impressed by the improvement in performance. At the time I filled the original inverted rubber feet (which fit into the aluminium caps) with sand at his suggestion. I guess I made a number of changes all at once so it was difficult to tell what was doing what in terms of performance gain.

While I was realigning my cartridge this weekend I emptied one of the feet of sand, thinking I might go back to the original rubber feet, only to find the plinth would then be too low for the cable exit from the arm. I put the foot back without the sand in it, and low and behold the bass had seriously diminished when I next listened to the table. I took the foot off, filled it back with sand, and the bass returned.

OK, so scientifically I should have emptied all of the feet of sand, but it's a bit awkward refitting the rubber cups and I was feeling lazy. I was really impressed by the difference in sound by the a-b-a test though - it's so much fuller and richer with the sand in place. Presumably it's a bit like a sandbox but inside the feet. Someone mentioned they were going to fill their feet with modelling clay, but I'm not sure this would work as well - I suspect it's the loose particulate nature of dry sand that makes it so good at damping and helps bass response.

I'm not sure whether you can do the same thing with the P9 feet that come on some of the other Rega models? It also makes me wonder whether sand might make a good plinth material for idler turntables like the Lenco / Garrard etc?

watercourse
long player
long player

Re: Sand-filled Feet

Post by watercourse » 14 May 2013 06:34

Cool, thanks for the tip, Nick! Seems like a great benefit from such a simple tweak!

nickjj
broken record

Post by nickjj » 14 May 2013 21:08

Hey Wilson - good to hear from you. Nice to see you're still on the Rega forum - maybe we need a WT forum now though!

watercourse
long player
long player

Post by watercourse » 14 May 2013 22:20

I'll tell ya, the maxed out P5 is a really hard act to follow, have to go way higher for significant improvements. The Simplex does not beat the P5 in all areas, just speed stability and a quieter bearing.
I might be lurking around here a bit longer until there are enough WT owners to justify a dedicated forum.

tomytoons

Post by tomytoons » 15 May 2013 14:19

I took the Lim feet and filled them with modeling clay to avoid any mess.
I also think they work pretty well. As Wilson says the maxed P5 is the best sound I have had in here too. In the process of re-wiring the arm now before a pending sale.
Maybe a dumb move.

nickjj
broken record

Post by nickjj » 16 May 2013 06:02

watercourse wrote:The Simplex does not beat the P5 in all areas, just speed stability and a quieter bearing. I might be lurking around here a bit longer until there are enough WT owners to justify a dedicated forum.
Haven't heard the Simplex or Amadeus, but had a look at the Versalex a few months back and thought it was pretty impressive, both sonically & aesthetically.

I'm looking to buy a Lenco GL75 myself next and replinth it with the Audiomods Classic arm. Will report back unbiased comparison to the modded RP3 at some point.

tomytoons

Post by tomytoons » 16 May 2013 21:20

=D> So, you like the golf Ball? #-o =D>

nickjj
broken record

Post by nickjj » 17 May 2013 23:38

tomytoons wrote:=D> So, you like the golf Ball? #-o =D>
Yeah... the arm's really cool. I like the fact that it's a completely unique design and has done away with the bearing completely. Firebaugh seems to be an original thinker - that's gotta be applauded. Interesting that Wilson's still using his Audiomods arm though!

watercourse
long player
long player

Post by watercourse » 18 May 2013 00:39

I'd be interested in hearing the 10" WT arm, but compared to the Audiomods, it has a bit more coherence, but less extension than the AM arm. The WT arm has azimuth adjustability, while the AM doesn't. I still feel that the AM arm pulls more out of the carts I use than the WT, but it's close.

watercourse
long player
long player

Post by watercourse » 18 May 2013 01:09

PS sorry for crapping on this thread...

gabriel1998

Post by gabriel1998 » 19 May 2013 21:24

I sold my lim aluminum feet and replace it with Herbie Audio dampening dots. Cheap and extremely effective. Plus I get to keep the low Rega Profile.