Michael Lim Upgrades

on level ground
james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Re: Michael Lim Upgrades

Post by james73_2008 » 03 Dec 2015 20:15

I posted this elsewhere and hadn't realised I didn't post it in this thread...

Turntable:
  • Rega Planar 3, purchased c.1996
  • Audio Origami (Moth) RB250 & Michell Technoweight
  • PEEK Sleeve & Ceramic Bearing
  • Groovetracer Reference Sub-Platter & White Delrin Platter
  • Flat Belt 338mm (13.3in) from http://www.turntablebasics.com
  • Origin Live DC-Kit (Mk12 PCB) Control Box / Premotec 9904-120-1805 3W Motor / Maplin 3.2A AC-9V AC L53BR PSU
  • Michael Lim Motor Isolation Base
  • Only the plinth & lid are original parts!
I recently got the Michael Lim Motor Isolation Base from Ebay and I fitted it a few days ago to my Planar 3. My plinth is supported on a custom-made wooden frame with 4 adjustable feet and the Premotec Motor has a very short spindle, so I had to buy a few small parts to use the Isolation Base with my deck, but I had measured everything out perfectly so when the Michael Lim part arrived, it was a case of assembling it and placing it position under the plinth.

Assembly - shaft coupler to extend the motors reach & hexagonal spacers

A rough drawing of the assembly - extended motor spindle via a coupler and additional 3mm axle

In position - the bolts in the top of the hexagonal spacers act as placeholders so I know it's in the right position

Upon fitting the motor to the isolation base and placing it correctly, I immediately noticed a much deeper and firmer bass response on LPs. Detail seems improved as well. All in all, a really noticeable upgrade, probably only second to the Groovetracer Subplatter upgrade. I've had a lot of issues with the Origin Live Motor Kit over the years and my long term plan is to replace it with the Rega 24V Motor Kit, and this is another reason I wanted to buy the Isolation Base from Michael Lim. I'll be keeping the OL Motor Kit for the moment, as using the current Premotec Motor and the AC-9V AC PSU has been a big help in it working well over the last 18 months or so.

The Michael Lim Motor Isolation Base is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/ ... stereo.gif http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images ... n_beer.gif http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images ... eatnik.gif

James H

Kamchatka

Post by Kamchatka » 10 Dec 2015 16:32

I recommend Michael Lim's dual pulley, and also the cork-rubber mat. The pulley works a treat -- fast start-up and very stable operation -- and the mat looks and sounds great. Also, he's very helpful in giving installation advice and solving any problems you might encounter.

soonon788

Post by soonon788 » 01 Feb 2016 03:35

i just acquired a RP6 2months ago and i was looking into upgrades from Groovetracer, Tangospinner and Michael Lim.

decided to take small step and ordered a dual pulley with a pair of silicone belts and the pulley extractor, i also also throw in the LP weight with a bubble level as well as i hv read good reviews of levelling a turntable using one sitting right on the spindle.

parcel came very very fast, Michael is very prompt in both replying emails and shipping. i immediately swap the stock belt for a silicone belt just to hear if there is any differences, and yes, i hear a tighter baseline and the "sound more coming together".

installing the pulley was quite a breeze as Micheal gave very detailed instructions to doing it and the pulley extractor really helps though it will only be used once unless i decides to change the pulley to a triple belt one, haha...

once setup, i played a very familiar Anne Murray LP and i almost fell out of my seat, the sound is just new to my ears, its sounded so relaxed and so lifelike with all the emotions and floor noise was reduced to almost nil. it just blow me away.

what i can say is that the double belt provides a very stable speed and the fact the sound is more relaxed means before that the speed pior to the swap was likely to be more than the 33.3RPM rate.

about the record weight and bubble level, i found its very good to "tame" LPs that are slightly warpped and i love the bubble level and the accessory is always placed on the spindle so at all time, i can see if the table is off level at any one time.

i was at a local Hifi shop to pick up a used Graham Slee Reflex M phono preamp when i saw the shop also selling a similiar record weight and bubble level, so i asked for the price..... its 7x what i paid for Micheal's. from looks its the same thing except a brand has been slapped on it, haha...

so overall i can say, the dual pulley is a good way to go if one is looking to up his sound for his Rega table and you will be beaming from ear to ear from what you hear after the swap as what i did for me.

sen4ri

Post by sen4ri » 01 Mar 2016 14:29

I upgrade most parts of my turntable. My Rega RP 6 is really in different level than it used to be regardless which cartridge I used (exact 2 or ortofon 2m black). Background sound disappear, so quiet now. High, mid, and low are more accurate. The soundstage and transparency are much better. These upgrade parts are really worth the money.

I basically buy everything that Michael Lim have except the acrylic platter (I owned it already). I am worried that the setup will be difficult but it turn out quite easy.
20160129_002317.jpg
With Cover
(97.06999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 1600 times
20160128_210543.jpg
Playing Queen Live Killer01
(85.89 KiB) Downloaded 1586 times
20160128_202432.jpg
Playing Queen Live Killer
(113.47 KiB) Downloaded 1583 times

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 02 Mar 2016 00:23

sen4ri wrote:I upgrade most parts of my turntable. My Rega RP 6 is really in different level than it used to be regardless which cartridge I used (exact 2 or Ortofon 2m black). Background sound disappear, so quiet now. High, mid, and low are more accurate. The soundstage and transparency are much better. These upgrade parts are really worth the money.

I basically buy everything that Michael Lim have except the acrylic platter (I owned it already). I am worried that the setup will be difficult but it turn out quite easy.
http://i54.tinypic.com/33nkzno.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/10e1t03.jpg

James H

peerappel

Post by peerappel » 01 Apr 2016 22:33

I have received the tri pulley with pulley instrument, i followed the instructions and it worked fantastic on my Rega RP6

I sounds wonderfull, very open and wide , i enjoy every minute from these upgrade

thank you Micheal for your work

kind regard from Holland

Peer

leflibustier

Post by leflibustier » 18 Apr 2016 15:35

Hi

Lately I have been taking some time to confirm my first and thoughts about Michael Lim's parts (counterweight, top and bottom braces). I've also upgraded my RP1 with Tangospinner parts (double pulley w/subplatter and feet) recently which made me very happy. Now is the second round and what I can say is that all parts made my TT become step better each time.

I believe now they all come together as one whole coherent system. Every single piece have a precise purpose and it is almost as if I could distinguish the upgrades from single and each part.

The plinth is stiffer thanks to the braces from Michael. The feet from Gus with Michael's bottom brace blocks almost all vibrations out. It gives to the RP1 a very efficient damping base without the need of a physical silent base. As an example, even with the sub activated, or when my son kicks the tv stand, the music goes on as nothing happened. That wasn't the case with the stock feet. The feet from Tangospinner alone were already an improvement but together with the brace they are so much harder better and stronger.

The counterweight and stub also from Michael gives the tonearm much higher density, strengh and better balance than the original RB250 cheap plastic stub and visually not appealing counterweight. The construction quality is absolutely beautiful. When I received my envelope from Malaysia, I first checked if there was any fault or defect and there were none. It is manufactured with very high precision.

Overall, the music has never sounded better in my house. I didn't know my speakers could give me such pure sound : those special times when you forget about your turntable and then you get smashed by the sound as if you were attracted to the music.

The cd player Rega Apollo R made my joy and used to be standard for music emotions and sonic quality but isn't anymore. Later did I added the Rega TTPSU and I instantly noticed the bass were louder and the background noise has disappeared. Still, I recognize it can be perfected, because sometimes, when the signal becomes loud and busy, on some rock or fast tracks, I noticed a little bit on confusion. I wonder if I should try to change the glass platter to an acrylic version... I have put a foot in the vinyl world and it seems like it is only the beginning!
DSC00304-5_03.JPG
(429.22 KiB) Downloaded 1335 times
DSC00300-4_03.JPG
(436.01 KiB) Downloaded 1326 times
DSC00400b.jpg
(495.96 KiB) Downloaded 1312 times

klimal

Post by klimal » 20 Apr 2016 07:47

Like you I have almost all the ML upgrades except the bottom brace. I even have the feet from TS too.
In addition, I have the outboard motor base and this really made the most difference in terms of transparency and clarity..like a veil lifted.
Recently I installed his bronze bearing hub and it made a very audible improvement overall but most significantly, in the timing and rhythmn of music.
Music that previously was hard to sit through, sounding disjointed and confused now sounds good and natural to me.
I think the bronze with better coefficient of friction and lubricity allows the bearing and platter to spin more freely and may overcome the stylus drag, thus contributing to the better timing and rhythm I am hearing.
I also find the bass to be also more tight and impactful =D> =D> =D>

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 24 Apr 2016 11:11

Finally jumped on the bandwagon and ordered a Lim triple pulley. Also ordered one of his nifty pullers. Plan to upgrade my RP6 to dual Rega white belts. Wonder what I can expect?

Hermetech Mastering
Jamaica

Post by Hermetech Mastering » 24 Apr 2016 11:25

Be careful with the white belts on dual/triple pulleys, they are very tight, I had three white belts on a TS triple brass pulley and it was scary how tight they were, like freaking me out/seemed like an extremely bad idea for the motor scary. :) Needless to stay they didn't stay on long. IMO for dual/triple pulleys you're much better off with multiple low tension belts, I'm using three of the very low tension TS silicone ones and they seem much better.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 24 Apr 2016 12:07

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Be careful with the white belts on dual/triple pulleys, they are very tight, I had three white belts on a TS triple brass pulley and it was scary how tight they were, like freaking me out/seemed like an extremely bad idea for the motor scary. :) Needless to stay they didn't stay on long. IMO for dual/triple pulleys you're much better off with multiple low tension belts, I'm using three of the very low tension TS silicone ones and they seem much better.
Yeah Michael Lim made a similar comment, he does not recommend running 3 white. Dual white though is a common arrangement found on higher end Rega decks:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~legarep/images/rp8%20belts.jpg

Hermetech Mastering
Jamaica

Post by Hermetech Mastering » 24 Apr 2016 15:24

Fair enough, by my gut instinct tells me not to go there.

klimal

Post by klimal » 25 Apr 2016 02:53

I am using ML's triple pulley and using his red silicon belts.
These are quite loose and as I am using his isolation base, the tension is adjustable by varying the position of the motor spindle within the small hole for it.
There is better speed stability and quite an audible improvement in the sustain and decay of notes.
Using the iPhone app, the speed is a steady 33.33/4 rpm

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 04 May 2016 00:01

[quote="leflibustier"]Hi
DSC00300-4_03.JPG
I see that you are using a felt mat. Try a DIY cork sheet mat.

Cheers,
Alec

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 15 May 2016 15:00

Triple pulley upgrade is now on my RP6. Except right now acting like more of a downgrade then an upgrade, although not blaming the pulley. It's a nicely finished part. The issues appear on fitting the second white belt. One result I observe is a reduction in speed accuracy:

1 x white belt:
Measurement #1: 33.386
Measurement #2: 33.422
2 x white belt:
Measurement #1: 33.659
Measurement #2: 33.664

Then in listening tests; 1 x white belt sounding clearer, more precise.

One thing I notice with the second belt on; one belt constantly shift up and down the platter, in a bit of a herky jerky fashion, while the other remains stationary. This cant be a good thing #-o

I'd like to give this another try, but clearly going with a much softer, and thus lower tension, belt selection. Currently leaning towards TS clear opal belts, unless someone can advise an even softer option?
Hermetech Mastering wrote:Fair enough, by my gut instinct tells me not to go there.
Evidently you must have a sonically intuitive gut!