the home of the turntable

What Made You Buy A Rega Tt?

on level ground

Re: What Made You Buy A Rega Tt?

Postby Bob_in_OKC » 21 Oct 2011 03:38

When I bought my Rega P5, it was while I had a Music Hall MMF-5 and was simply looking for a nice upgrade for not a huge amount of money. I got caught up in the talk about the Technics SL-1200 and bought myself an MK2 model that was in nearly perfect condition. The long story short on that one is that it didn't sound good to me. So I sold it and started looking for another option and toyed with the idea of a better Music Hall or Pro-Ject and then a P5 showed up in an auction. I bid a fair price and got it. It turned out to be well worth the money to me and it continues to this day as my main turntable, without fear of being replaced anytime soon, unless a P7 or P9 falls in my lap.
Bob_in_OKC

Postby taskerc » 04 Nov 2011 00:35

I was living in Ireland until 2006. In 2005 I started to get interested in getting back into vinyl so I did some research and the Rega brand just kept coming up. So I found a Planar 3 from a UK seller on eBay. I messed around with a few cartridges, settling on a Denon DL103 through some Cinemag xfrmrs. What was weird was how easy it was for me to fall asleep to the music I was hearing. In 2006 we relocated back to Canada and the Rega, with a new motor for 110V came with me. But for some reason, I started to experiment and found myself selling the Rega and ending up with a plethora of turntables including a TD-165, a few linear trackers (HK ST7 and Revox B795). My current rig consists of a Dual 701 and a DIY Lenco project. The Lenco project is a very nice adventure, but I find that NONE of the tables has been as musical as the Rega - I am always listening to the "technical" side, not the "musical" side. So I finally decided - back to Rega. And luckily, I was able to get one of the P5s which are currently being sold off for $1000 USD. Should be here next week.

What was very strange, was that during my research again last week, I read a few comments around the musicality of the Regas and how others also fell asleep with their Regas :-)

So hopefully next week I will be back in a happy Rega place.
taskerc

Canada

Postby Laudanum » 04 Nov 2011 14:58

Does a Rega clone count if it has a Rega arm?

I returned to Vinyl after about a 10 year absence in 2000. I bought a Music Hall MMF5 which I bought new for just under $500 at the time with a Goldring 1012 (not my cup of tea for a cart). Anyway, that is still my table in the main (speaker) system.

I needed a second table for a headphone system (primarily) and I found one of the Rega 2 clones, a used Rotel RP900. I bought it because it was $100 including shipping, sans arm, and in perfect shape mechanically and good condition physically except for the typical scratches on the lid. These Rotels came with an RB250 arm when they were current. I knew I would be putting an RB250 on it ... to be honest, because the RB250 is probably the best bang for the buck in a very decent arm, and the table was made for it. It really is a respectable arm. An inexpensive DIY Re-wire took care of the hum, probably a result of some less than stellar internal wiring workmanship. Therefore, the re-wire made for a big improvement and was a necessity in my case. A Michell Technoweight really helped improve low end extension and impact as well as resolution and detail most notably through the midbass and into the lower midrange. Also added the OL VTA. It think it now is a good arm, period. Not up there with the best and most expensive, but a good arm in it's own right.
It's a surprisingly very good sounding table/arm.
Laudanum

Postby TigerScent » 18 Nov 2011 21:53

Value for money - sound dynamics - looks good. Much can be done with the Rega Planar 3/2. The RB300/250 arms can be modded and sound brilliant, ... the motor/motor housing can be modded with extra damping/rubber suspension, VTA etc...,
TigerScent

Postby bloomi » 18 Nov 2011 22:36

At the time I was looking to buy it was a choice between a P3-24 and a SL1200 MK2. Technics then discontinued the SL1200 and the prices went up to stupid money, and I found an offer for a P3-24 Colours (with the TT-PSU) new for £350, as long as you brought luminous yellow.

Would I buy it again? I don't know, there's certainly nothing wrong with it, and I like the sound, but I still really want a SL1200. It's probably a combination of grass is greener syndrome and my love of Technics. It's a great deck, especially at the price I got it for, but I still want the Technics, but it's unlikely I will ever own a SL1200.
bloomi

Postby muninman » 23 Nov 2011 16:04

I didn't: I bought a Systemdek iix instead!!!!
Sorry for being provocative, especially as a newbie, but in 1986, with the salary of my first proper job burning a hole in my pocket, I started to read up and research audio equipment to replace my cheap (but decent) Hitachi turntable and Sony amp. I couldn't afford an LP12, I also had a lot of singles at the time and the Linn was strictly 33 1/3 in those days, and What Hifi were constantly emphasing the Planer 3 as the budget turntable, and it did look fantastic too.
I booked an appointment with Doug Brady in Warrington with a view to buying the Rega, with a better amp to follow asap. I had no idea what auditioning really meant, but I recall that this young, slightly geeky salesman sat me down and offered me the choice of the Rega Planer 3, the Systemdek and a Revolver (anyone remember that one? Made in Warrington as I recall).
In all honesty, after 25 years, I can't really recall what the sonic differences were, but I do recall the Systemdek, with a Linn LVX, sounded the best to me, despite my misgivings over price (and extra £30 I think), and looks. I have grown to appreciate the Systemdek's looks over the years, but I still think that Rega turntables look fantastic.
I still have the Systemdek, recently restored and running, but within 12 months I had left my job (Policeman) and used my returned pension funds to buy a LP12. In some ways I regret that, not that I don't love my LP12 (which I also still have), but because the Systemdek was good enough, and the Linn took me down an expensive road of constant upgrading. I have a Rega Radio 3 tuner, and that's a great bit of kit if that's any consolation.
muninman

Postby TigerScent » 24 Nov 2011 12:11

...my personal belief, is that properly modded; with motor seperately mounted on a heavy base, about 3kg, tonearm mods and the usual Rega Planar 3 mods..., is that it will most likely outclass the Linn LP12 considerably...

...the main reason, is that (to my knowledge) the LP12 motor cannot and usually 'is not' isolated on a seperate base...

...and the other, is of course, the fully modded RB300/250 tonearm...

...once the vibration is totally removed and isolated from the plinth, the subplatter is 'in round', on a ruby/ceramic bearing...I cant help but feel it would sound better... it might sound 'as good', but really, due to total motor isolation, I believe it would outshine it to a noticable degree...

...be interesting to see a comparison...
TigerScent

Postby RP3user » 18 Dec 2011 18:55

Hi everyone this is my first post here although I have been lurking in the background for quite some weeks now.

I am currently using a Rega RP3 which I have on loan from my local dealer and have had it for two weeks now. I initially had it on weekend loan so that I could try it as part of my system. I was impressed enough to order one on the Monday and was told I could keep the loan TT until mine arrives.

After a weeks listening I came to the conclusion that although the sound was good it could be improved on so I am now the owner of a TT PSU and it has transformed the sound no end. Wonderful, is how I would best describe it.

I chose the RP3 because a friend has a heavily modified P2 which sounds really good and because of the great sound per £ value you get with Rega.

Graham
RP3user

Great Britain

Postby mawari » 01 Jan 2012 07:42

My younger brother. He bought a Rega Planar 2. So I had to buy the Planar 3 :-)

Paul
mawari

Japan

Postby mr.datsun » 03 Jan 2012 00:45

I just checked the box and I bought my Planar 3 in 1993. It was the first good deck I ever owned. Up until then I only knew about the LP12 , the Pink Triangle and the Townsend Rock – and that they were beyond my reach. I was naive, but I did my research in the literature. There was the well respected and popular Dual deck at the time and also the NAD phenomenon was still going strong and they had deck with a flat arm, but it was the Rega Planar design that sparked my imagination. I previewed it at Infidelity in Hampton Wick nr Kingston. What really swayed it was the fact that the shop actually had a copy of The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu - one of my favourite albums. And it sounded great. The Planar 3 sound somehow also convinced me that the extra outlay over the Planar 2 would be worth it in the long run. I got the decadent silver plinth.

A friend sometimes tries to encourage me to buy a s/h LP12, but my heart's just not in it. I also flirted with the idea of a VPI but still feel that the Planar 3 has something pure that I'd miss if I gave it up.
mr.datsun

Bhutan

Postby gdest » 05 Jan 2012 22:54

I was looking for any turntable on flea market, asked people.
And one of my colleagues said that he has turntable in his parent's basement.
And I bought it from him.
The turntable appeared to be Planar 3 with RB300 tonearm and R100 cartridge.
I'm happy with my new and first turntable: Rega Planar 3.
His Dad bought it in 1984 in Englad.
gdest

Israel

Postby BoringSounds » 30 Jan 2012 15:08

I bought my first one through a friend who worked at the factory making them, when the factory in Westcliff around 1992. It was a plannar 3, I sold that when I left the UK along with all of my naim gear, it is only over the past five years that I have slowly been rebuilding my setup to its former glory.
Plannar3, Technoarm (A), Kontrapunkt A, Michell Dual mono phonostage, Rotel pre, Rotel amp, B&W CDM 9NTs
Pioneer PL-12D refurbished, Rotel phonostage, Rotel pre/amp, B&W CDM 9NTs.
BoringSounds

Great Britain

Postby totomatic » 15 Feb 2012 09:11

i bought my rega rp1 because my Technics sl-b3, pioneer pl-l5, garrard 990b needed company :D
totomatic

Postby atupi » 29 Feb 2012 14:16

I bought my Rega RP-1 because of the price. I paid around 120Euros for a new unit from a local auction site.
atupi

Postby dovstar » 12 Apr 2012 20:51

RP1 -- Reputation, reviews, price, looks, and upgrade options. Right now I'm just getting back into my vinyl collection.
NAD/Rega RP-1/Ortofon OM-20/PSB Century 1000i
dovstar

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Rega