the home of the turntable

What Made You Buy A Rega Tt?

on level ground

Re: What Made You Buy A Rega Tt?

Postby Keevs » 13 Apr 2012 08:16

One lazy Sunday afternoon, walked into a Hifi shop with a friend. Wasn't really into Hifi at that stage. All my music was computer based and on the iPod/iPhone.

It was really quite day for the shop I think. And they were nice enough to show us some Hifi gear, including playing Coldplay's Parachutes (one of my favourite bands) via a Rega P2. I was instantly drawn to that sound.

A few months later, bought an entry level "Hifi" system consisting of a Rega P1, Rega Fono Mini to Aktimate Mini active speakers.

Enjoyed this for a few years. And since stepping up to a dedicated 2-channel system, I have since moved to a 2nd hand Rega Planar 3 with an upgrade motor and Groovetracer sub-platter to a Graham Slee Amp 2 SE phono stage.

I am very happy with this set up and will stick with this now for the long term as Rega has such great upgrade paths.
Rega P3-24 [AM Classic, TT PSU, GT Ref. subplatter & Delrin platter, dual pulley, SRM Tech Rega Silent Base], Benz Micro Ace SM, RSA Nighthawk
Keevs

Australia

Postby Billnot » 20 May 2012 11:10

In 1985, I auditioned the Planar 3 against the Linn Sondek and bought the Linn. A couple of months ago, and realising that either I had to spend lots of money on the Linn or change it, I auditioned it against the new RP6. No contest. The RP6 won hands down. But what surprised me was that when a new GBP4000 Linn setup was put in front of me, I still preferred the Rega. One advantage me me in my old age is that it doesn't need much set up. It was almost plug-and-play. And that's what I've been doing - enjoying using it. Isn't that what it's supposed to be about?
Billnot

Great Britain

Postby gidion27 » 03 Jun 2012 09:57

I bought a Rega for the colour... I am not kidding, Bought a blue P3 -24 and TTPSU withouth listening to them.

I used to have a Thorens TT but that one broke, to get my wife onboard I decided to pick the one should would feel okay with.

Mind you, I have made more of these Mad decissions. Bought a new LCD Tv because of its name. (My daughter's name is Jasmine so I though it would be cool if we had a TV with the same name.)

and I bought a couple of Paradigm monitor Speakers because I believed that the drives looked like Condoms. Google them and you will see what I mean.

Ps the P3 still sounds great.
gidion27

Postby kabayiri » 03 Jun 2012 12:11

I heard a friend's Rega Planar/RB300 back in '84, which triggered me into ordering one from the local dealer. The choice then was pretty much Rega or Linn and I couldn't afford Linn, so...

Several months later and a bright luminescent pink one was delivered to the dealer! I realise now that coloured P3s are very much in vogue, but back then it wasn't something which fitted in so I reordered standard black.

It's great that it can still be maintained and updated.
kabayiri

Great Britain

Postby Billnot » 04 Jun 2012 10:44

The reason for the pink one is that Rega wanted to ensure that dealers didn't pass them on to customers without inspecting and checking them first. So they sent out the odd pink one deliberately.

I was told this by the guys at The Sound organisation in London Bridge, who had one (I eventually bought a Linn from them and didn't convert to Rega until recently).
Billnot

Great Britain

Postby Samurai7595 » 07 Jun 2012 12:20

Back in the 80's, I owned the Oracle Delphi MKII which was a visually stunning turntable with great sound & speed stability. Then in the 90's I moved on to a Linn LP12 which also provided great sound & speed stability. However, I found that the problem with these turntables (suspension TT) was that you really needed to isolate them from all vibrations as they were very sensitive. Also, with all the upgrades being introduced, I couldn't keep-up with these financially and found it very frustrating when a dealer would tell me that my TT was now outdated & that I would need to upgrade it to the latest specs to get the most out of it. So in other words, it was good when I first bought it and now it's no longer good????

Next, I moved on to a VPI Scoutmaster turntable which provided excellent Pace, Rythm and Timing (PRaT) with great sound. After enjoying this TT for 5 years, I donated it to my daughter when she moved out.

Now, I was looking for a good turntable, again with great sound & speed stability, but that was extremely low maintenance (I'm getting older with less & less patience) in order to simply sit back & just enjoy my vinyl collection after a long & stressful day at work. I auditioned quiet a few non-suspension turntables and after listening to the new Rega RP6, I knew this was the TT for me! So I ordered one fitted with the Dynavector DV-20X2 Low-Output MC cartridge as I really like the Dynavector sound.

The Rega RP6 should be arriving in about 2-3 weeks.
Samurai7595

Canada

Postby Alan14 » 08 Jun 2012 16:29

I bought my Rega Planar 3 back in 1980.
I was in my early 20's and just getting into home audio.
At the time the Linn Sondek LP 12 was all the rage ... but that was out of my price range.
Then I happened to find a second hand Planar 3 for a great price that had never been used and never had an arm fitted.
I bought the planar 3 and took it to a HiFi shop that recomended I fit a Stax Unipivot arm to it.
However I was never really happy with the Stax arm so when the RB300 arm was released I bought one and fitted it with an Audio Technica AT32 MC cartridge.
I then upgraded the Audio Technica to an Ortofon SPU MC and have had this same combination for the past 28 years.
Earlier this year the motor speed had started becoming eratic (suspect the capacitor was failing).
So I replaced the motor with the 24V Synchronous Upgrade kit and it was back playing sweet music.

I have plans to upgrade the sub platter & platter later this year and maybe add the TT PSU as well to finish it all off.

My Planar 3 is now over 30 years old and I'm still very happy with it. :)
Modified Rega Planar 3, Modified RB300 Tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge.
Vacuum Tube Audio PH16 Phono Stage
Vacuum Tube Audio SP14 Preamp
Bob Latino Dynaco ST120 Valve Poweramp
Troels Gravesen DTQWT MKII Speakers
Alan14

Australia

Postby azvd » 28 Jun 2012 15:43

I just bought a brand new P7.

Things started with the Pro-Ject Debut III and the commitment to "play some LPs with decent sound". The interest in tweaking with different carts and keeping the records in good shape lead me to an RPM5 which did a good job but had that major flaw with its motor vibrating all over the plinth and arm. Figured out I needed something to last several years without room for headaches and nonstop tweaks. I simply wanted a reliable TT that sounded good, had basic adjustments and a massive fanbase. Thought about a VPI but the possibility of infinite tweaks would lead me to a different path from the one I've traced and there I went with Rega and its commitment to well-done basics. I didn't want to stay away from basics anymore.

My mistake: should have jumped onto the P7 at first place, but I guess a few wrongs were necessary to finally make it right. It's great now to put my attention onto actually listening to music without interminable wonders about how good it could sound. A Herbie's mat, a groovetracer counterweight, white belts and perhaps a Michell clamp and that's it. From there, it's up to playing with different cartridges in the upcoming years and perhaps fixing it in a wallmount. And, of course, buying MUSIC.
azvd

Postby Grozni » 02 Jul 2012 14:16

I've bought Rega RP1 one month ago, returning to vinyl after several years. Before I've bought Rega I had planned buying Project Debut Carbon. But on the way to Project dealer I've stopped et Rega dealer. I've seen that they had Rega at discount price and skillful salesman persuaded me to buy a Rega RP1. Excellent reviews have also influenced on my decision.
Now I am very happy and have never regreted.
Grozni

Croatia

Postby Sandbah 92 » 02 Jul 2012 16:25

Congratulations, Grozni! Glad you are satisfied. I've had my p1 for 4 years and have no regrets and have never looked back. I know there's a lot of complaints about the entry level Rega, but I suspect - as there are with most things people buy - that there are far more satisfied customers than dissatisfied. Enjoy the musicality of the Rega!
Sandbah 92

Postby Grozni » 02 Jul 2012 20:59

Sandbah 92 wrote:Congratulations, Grozni! Glad you are satisfied. I've had my p1 for 4 years and have no regrets and have never looked back. I know there's a lot of complaints about the entry level Rega, but I suspect - as there are with most things people buy - that there are far more satisfied customers than dissatisfied. Enjoy the musicality of the Rega!

Thank You very much
Grozni

Croatia

Postby maya » 23 Jul 2012 07:10

Hi all, I just wanted to share my thoughts on why I bought a Rega.

My lifelong love for all things music and audio resurged, I would say, about two or so years ago. I had a system specifically set up for listening to lossless music from my computer, but I was really bummed on how my receiver, and 2.1 speaker setup was. It just didn't have the power to make my music sing as intended. That prompted me to start really looking into the whole audiophile world and just quality made hi-fi components.

I started with a Cambridge Audio MagicDac, and then added a NAD C 356BEE stereo integrated amp. I added in Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450s, accompanied with the Definitive Technology SuperCube III subwoofer. Already it's a seriously major difference! That sparked me to continue finishing off my rack upgrade.

After adding the NAD C565BEE CD player, I knew my system was missing my favorite and most critical piece: The turntable! I have gone through so many hand-me-downs, especially old school all-in-one units from somewhere in the 1940s-1960s, and then settled on a Sony PSLX300H in 1997. I thought I was the bomb when I had that. I knew, though, in order to really get a terrific sound out of my records, I'd have to score something tasty. I upgraded my NAD amp to include the NAD PP375 Phono Preamp, which works with both moving coil and moving magnetic cartridges.

I chose Rega because after reading so many reviews, both in print, and online from reputable audio websites and hifi forums, it was not only a great entry turntable, but it really put money where its mouth was. I was slightly apprehensive about it originally, because of buying a turntable, tonearm, cartridge, etc., all separately. I found on Music Direct a combo deal they had with the Rega P3-24, fitted with a Rega RB-301 tonearm, Rega Elys 2 cartridge, glass plinth, upgraded motor and the Rega TT PSU. I also have the Rega Tungsten heavy counterweight, and topped it off recently with a Bren1 solid aluminum record weight. I have to say, I really would have a difficult time replacing that bad boy any time soon.

I also chose Rega because of the ample amount of upgrades one could do to it. After checking out RoDa's post about upgrading to a GrooveTracer reference platter, I'm most likely going to do the same with an upgraded Rega belt in the near future.

I could not have been more pleased and satisfied with choosing a Rega. Well, maybe after the upgrades, I will be even more enthralled! :wink: Every day is a new listening experience, and I am so very happy I decided to follow this path. I now have the capability of listening to vinyl, CDs, cassettes, and lossless music all from one rack.

Thank you for taking the time to read my crazy long post. I hope to be a more active member. :-)
maya

Postby a_spaceships » 23 Jul 2012 20:53

Another new guy here, this Friday I should be able to pick up my new white RP6, can't wait!

I recently had a music hall 2.2, which was alright but ever since I walked into a local hifi store, i fell for the Rega tables. I had intended to buy a rp3, but over the last month or so I started leaning for the 6, which is a real stunner when you see it in person (i like simple).
a_spaceships

United States of America

Postby Samurai7595 » 25 Jul 2012 19:12

Samurai7595 wrote:Back in the 80's, I owned the Oracle Delphi MKII which was a visually stunning turntable with great sound & speed stability. Then in the 90's I moved on to a Linn LP12 which also provided great sound & speed stability. However, I found that the problem with these turntables (suspension TT) was that you really needed to isolate them from all vibrations as they were very sensitive. Also, with all the upgrades being introduced, I couldn't keep-up with these financially and found it very frustrating when a dealer would tell me that my TT was now outdated & that I would need to upgrade it to the latest specs to get the most out of it. So in other words, it was good when I first bought it and now it's no longer good????

Next, I moved on to a VPI Scoutmaster turntable which provided excellent Pace, Rythm and Timing (PRaT) with great sound. After enjoying this TT for 5 years, I donated it to my daughter when she moved out.

Now, I was looking for a good turntable, again with great sound & speed stability, but that was extremely low maintenance (I'm getting older with less & less patience) in order to simply sit back & just enjoy my vinyl collection after a long & stressful day at work. I auditioned quiet a few non-suspension turntables and after listening to the new Rega RP6, I knew this was the TT for me! So I ordered one fitted with the Dynavector DV-20X2 Low-Output MC cartridge as I really like the Dynavector sound.

The Rega RP6 should be arriving in about 2-3 weeks.

We'll my Rega RP6 + Dynavector DV-20X2 Low MC cart combo arrived about 3 weeks ago & via my Linn Uphorik external phono pre-amp, this combo sounds absolutely magical!

I'm really enjoying this new combo! :D
Samurai7595

Canada

Postby Al Sands » 26 Jul 2012 09:17

I thought I'd chip in. I, like a lot of people opted for a Rega Planar 3 because in it's basic form it was stil a pretty good turntable and also because of its upgradeability and the fact that it's so well supported by Rega and a few other guys who are making some good after market kit (Michael Lim, Frank (Groovetracer), Peter Riggle, Michell, Isokinetic, for example).

So I bought the basic Planar 3 and I've steadily upgraded as and when I've had the cash. Interestingly, Michael Lim knocks out some interesting kit. I found the biggest bang for the buck was the isolation base. This fixes a number of problems with the motor attached to the plinth by a rubber band. (I think there's a thread on here about that).

The cheapest and probably the one that got me the most was adding a thrust bearing below the motor spindle - the best $12 I've spent!

Upgrading is not for everyone. I think there's a guy on here called Watercourse? He's done many upgrades, like me, he referred to his Rega TT as a 'Frankenrega'.
Al Sands

New Zealand

PreviousNext

Return to Rega