Acrylic Platter sounds better?

on level ground
sq225917

Post by sq225917 » 28 Aug 2008 17:26

Glass platters ring, they impart a high frequency sheen to the playback of music, so Rega et'al provide a wool mat to help dampen this.

acrylic platters do not ring, they do not add this high freqency sheen to playback so you do not 'need' a mat. You can of course use one if you so wish, but an acrylic platter with a wool mat sounds rather like a glass plater with a wool mat.

The benefit is in using no mat. :wink:

XTRProf

Post by XTRProf » 29 Aug 2008 06:36

El Matarife wrote:I was also thinking of buying the SRM tech 20mm acrylic platter - for use on a Rega P2.

Can anyone tell me why you don't need to use a mat with acrylic platters?

Thanks!

If you use a mat with an acrylic platter, it just defeats the purpose of using the acrylic platter in the first place. Acrylic, being close to the mechanical resistance of the record, will help greatly to dampen the record resonance generated by the stylus scrubbing in the record grooves. The acrylic platter effectively transferred the resonance onto itself thru similar mechanical resistance and, hence, helps in dampening the record. An crylic platter with a mat will be decoupled from the record and will not be that effective any more. The whole thing boils down to effective coupling of the record to the acrylic for effective dampening of the record resonance. Technically used with a record clamp or weight [if your TT can take it (springs and bearing)] will be better. But you may not hear the effect due to the faint nature of the resonance here uinless you have a really high resolution system.

El Matarife

Post by El Matarife » 30 Aug 2008 16:08

The SRM-tech acrylic platter comes "with a Platter Damping Ring which acts as a peripheral wave trap...". Does this make the SRM-tech a better purchase than other acrylic platters?

The damping ring looks like a big rubber band (!) and sells for £20 by itself.

Thanks!

XTRProf

Post by XTRProf » 02 Sep 2008 10:40

El Matarife wrote:The SRM-tech acrylic platter comes "with a Platter Damping Ring which acts as a peripheral wave trap...". Does this make the SRM-tech a better purchase than other acrylic platters?

The damping ring looks like a big rubber band (!) and sells for £20 by itself.

Thanks!

Actually, with an acrylic platter, we don't need any more damping. That damping ring is more meant for a metal platter that rings badly. However, if it comes with the SRM-tech acrylic platter at about the same price for the other acrylic platter, it will be better value. Some sort of a sweetener to deal. :D

Stephen_Scharf

Not convinced at all about acrylic platters sounding better

Post by Stephen_Scharf » 02 Nov 2008 08:18

I just bought an acrylic platter for my Rega Planar 3 from a vendor here in the U.S. I am using it with an SME 3009 Series III tonearm and a Grado Reference Sonata. It is absolutely beautifully manufactured and crafted, but after a number of back to back A/B listening tests with only the platter changing, I am beginning to come to the conclusion that the stock, glass platter with felt mat sounds better than the acrylic platter. This platter is very precisely manufactured so that VTA does not need to be readjusted switching platters, so a difference in thickness between the two platters is not the issue. The acrylic platter just sounds "deader" than the stock platter and mat.

With the stock platter and felt mat, voices, strings, and other instrumental tonalities are more present and more accurate, and particularly, the upper bass/lower mid detail is better defined and substantial. I can hear better inner detail and individual instruments with better definition and timbre with the stock platter. Most importantly, the glass platter/felt mat sounds more *natural* than the acrylic platter.

The CNC-machined subplatter I bought did make a big difference, however, over the stock plastic Rega subplatter. Mine has a spindle bearing with a sapphire in the bottom of the spindle bearing which rides on a zirconium oxide ceramic ball bearing. Noise floor was notably reduced with this subplatter, and the pitch stability is improved.

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » 02 Nov 2008 22:13

I can't imagine there's a huge deal of difference between replacement acrylic platters for rega decks. 24-26mm thick, same weight and height as the glass ones.

I could only put your lack of preference down to a couple of things.

1. You have a dull balance in the rest of your system which needs the sparkle from the glass platter, this could be cartridge, amps, or speakers.

2. You just like it bright.

3. There is an interface issue with the sub-platter and the new acrylic platter. Are there three little discs you can swap on the top of the sub platter?

I've not heard anyone who prefers glass over acrylic, but like they say, it takes all sorts.

Stephen_Scharf

Post by Stephen_Scharf » 03 Nov 2008 07:53

sq225917 wrote:I can't imagine there's a huge deal of difference between replacement acrylic platters for rega decks. 24-26mm thick, same weight and height as the glass ones.
I could only put your lack of preference down to a couple of things.

1. You have a dull balance in the rest of your system which needs the sparkle from the glass platter, this could be cartridge, amps, or speakers.
No....my system is anything but dull, if anything, the Era Design 4 are slightly forward in the lower treble.
2. You just like it bright.
No...I don't like it bright at all, that's why I just spent $500 on a Grado Reference Sonata, for a natural sound, not a bright one. And a lack of *brightness* on the acrylic platter is not the issue. If anything the highs are a bit better articulated on the acrylic platter The issue is a "thinness" to the weight and timbre of instruments and voice, and that the lower midrange/upper bass is murky and poorly defined by comparison to the acrylic platter.
3. There is an interface issue with the sub-platter and the new acrylic platter. Are there three little discs you can swap on the top of the sub platter?
There might be, there are three little discs on the subplatter that are designed to hold the glass platter off the subplatter. What do you mean by swapping them? Removing them to get a better interface with the aluminum subplatter and acrylic record platter?

I've not heard anyone who prefers glass over acrylic, but like they say, it takes all sorts.
Well, the N (number) probably isn't large enough to do a statistically valid proportion test, anyway. <grin>

Thanks for your input...

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » 05 Nov 2008 09:15

Ah, but you think a Grado Sonata is a neutral cartridge, that explains it.

thanks for clearing that up.

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 05 Nov 2008 10:33

hallo,

i use a le Tallec turntable as one of my main decks.
it uses 2 glass platters with thick felt in between them.
original interface between record and platter is a felt mat.
i use a Goldmund relief mat instead, and i prefer it.
i toy with the idea of making a new platter to replace the glass.
this would be only to increase weight for more inertia.
i see and hear no detrimental effects from the glass.

each system is different, its what ever works best for you.
no 'this is best' or 'this can never work'.
IMO

regards,
bastlnut

Palomero

Post by Palomero » 06 Nov 2008 10:50

Hello,i have a Goldring Gr 1 MK2, with MDF platter, i have a glass platter (Rega P2), and an aluminium platter too.
To me the sound is the same (high, med, bass), the rumble is lower with glass and aluminium platter.

Stephen_Scharf

Post by Stephen_Scharf » 06 Nov 2008 23:31

sq225917 wrote:Ah, but you think a Grado Sonata is a neutral cartridge, that explains it.

thanks for clearing that up.
Actually, what I said was "natural", not "neutral".

I've contacted the vendor of my acrylic platter and am returning it. My glass platter/felt mat sounds more accurate, detailed, and is more accurate spatially, and with respect to the rendering of instrumental timbres.

avhed

Post by avhed » 10 Jan 2011 07:01

XTRProf wrote:But you may not hear the effect due to the faint nature of the resonance here uinless you have a really high resolution system.
What level are we taking about here?

nabil

Post by nabil » 10 Jan 2011 14:06

I too have thought about buying an acrylic platter, several things have stopped me: cost, straying too far from the signature "Rega" sound, and a nagging feeling that the cost/benefit ratio would be relatively low. So I thought I would first try to use a different mat. So, I recently bought one of Herbie's Way Excellent Mats and I must say that I really like what it does for my P25. For $59.00 the cost to benefit ration is unbelievably high–better more refined bass, sharper and cleaner attacks, and a larger soundstage. It has also slightly mellowed the upper frequency rise of my Audio Technica AT OC-9 mkII. I listen to a very wide range of music, everything from Gentle Giant to Richard Wager opera. The Herbie's mat works well with all of the music I have listened to so far. It's a great product and well worth trying. Next up-grade is a Groove-tracker sub-platter.

xyyyy

Post by xyyyy » 12 Jan 2011 01:58

sq225917 wrote:I've not heard anyone who prefers glass over acrylic, but like they say, it takes all sorts.
You're kidding, right? I CLEARLY prefer the glass platter with the stock mat on my P3 2000 over an acrylic platter. Oh, another person that prefers the glass platter is a a highly successful engineer and music lover whose initials are R.G.

freefallrob

Post by freefallrob » 12 Jan 2011 16:28

I'm currently using a 12mm P3 glass platter with a 3mm Funk firm Achromat, well pleased with this combo.
It has the benefits of the high mass glass platter (speed stability and dynamics) and the damping properties and firm support of the super light Achromat.
Used with an Ortofon HOMC and RB301 it sounds better than it should to my ears.

I have used a 12mm acrylic platter but couldn't get on with it, I'm sure the thicker heavier ones are better.