Acrylic Platter sounds better?

on level ground
jenkovix
senior member
senior member
Posts: 410
Joined: 21 Mar 2008 18:02
Location: Ireland

Acrylic Platter sounds better?

Post by jenkovix » 08 Aug 2008 20:07

Hi!

Does really acrylic platter sounds better than the glass? What is the reason? Could somebody give me a(n) (scientific) explanation? Does it worth the investment?
How about this:

http://www.srm-tech.co.uk/shop/article_ ... %3DDRP1%26

Thank you

JaS
engine room
engine room
Posts: 11253
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 16:32

Post by JaS » 08 Aug 2008 20:33

Hi,
Acrylic platters can bring improvements to sound quality as they better match the resonance of the vinyl itself, but it's important that the replacement (a) has similar mass to prevent speed instability and (b) VTA is carefully adjusted after fitment if the height of the playing surface has changed. Also you'd normally use an acrylic platter without a mat so a well designed one will have a label recess.

Another choice would be to use the original platter with a Funk Firm Acromat mat, or replacement Achroplat platter, although the glass platter is actually a pretty good upgrade if you have a Rega with an MDF platter.

Regards,
JaS

jenkovix
senior member
senior member
Posts: 410
Joined: 21 Mar 2008 18:02
Location: Ireland

Post by jenkovix » 08 Aug 2008 20:56

Jas wrote:Hi,
Acrylic platters can bring improvements to sound quality as they better match the resonance of the vinyl itself, but it's important that the replacement (a) has similar mass to prevent speed instability and (b) VTA is carefully adjusted after fitment if the height of the playing surface has changed. Also you'd normally use an acrylic platter without a mat so a well designed one will have a label recess.

Another choice would be to use the original platter with a Funk Firm Acromat mat, or replacement Achroplat platter, although the glass platter is actually a pretty good upgrade if you have a Rega with an MDF platter.

Regards,
JaS
Hi JaS!

I am a bit wiser now :)
On my Planar 3 I have the standard glass platter and standard mat. You say that the mass of the acrylic platter must be the same of the glass platter, that makes sense. But probably of the different density of the glass and the acrylic leads to a VTA problem and there is no VTA adjustment possibility on my Planar 3 + RB300...

How about the SRM-tech acrylic platter?

Many thanks

JaS
engine room
engine room
Posts: 11253
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 16:32

Post by JaS » 08 Aug 2008 22:01

jenkovix wrote:How about the SRM-tech acrylic platter?
Hi,
I haven't used one so I can only go on their description. They claim their 'deluxe' version doesn't affect VTA if used without a mat (which is good), although the P3/Planar 3 and Planar 2 had different thickness glass platters so I don't know which they took the measurement from? Also I don't see any mention of the mass but it should be better than their somewhat lightweight 10mm version.

Regards,
JaS

JosefK
junior member
junior member
Posts: 16
Joined: 31 Mar 2008 23:48
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

Post by JosefK » 09 Aug 2008 19:08

The sound from my P3 improved quite a bit with a acrylic platter. I recommend this:

https://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/95/08/98_12.JPG

See it here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACRYLTELLER-fuer- ... dZViewItem

sq225917
senior member
senior member
Posts: 956
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 19:56

Post by sq225917 » 10 Aug 2008 01:36

A 2nd vote for Acrylteller, he makes all the German made platters, Scheu, Clearaudio, etc etc

jenkovix
senior member
senior member
Posts: 410
Joined: 21 Mar 2008 18:02
Location: Ireland

Post by jenkovix » 10 Aug 2008 17:52

JosefK wrote:The sound from my P3 improved quite a bit with a acrylic platter. I recommend this:

https://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/95/08/98_12.JPG

See it here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACRYLTELLER-fuer- ... dZViewItem
How about your VTA now?

sq225917
senior member
senior member
Posts: 956
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 19:56

Post by sq225917 » 10 Aug 2008 22:11

identical, they are the same height above the subplatter.

jenkovix
senior member
senior member
Posts: 410
Joined: 21 Mar 2008 18:02
Location: Ireland

Post by jenkovix » 11 Aug 2008 09:43

sq225917 wrote:identical, they are the same height above the subplatter.
Are you using it with or without the mat?

JosefK
junior member
junior member
Posts: 16
Joined: 31 Mar 2008 23:48
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

Post by JosefK » 11 Aug 2008 13:20

jenkovix wrote:
JosefK wrote:The sound from my P3 improved quite a bit with a acrylic platter. I recommend this:

https://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/95/08/98_12.JPG

See it here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACRYLTELLER-fuer- ... dZViewItem
How about your VTA now?
I put 1mm rubber spacers (like it's used on the SRM/Tech platter), and use it without mat.
Recently I found that those spacers must be put with the utmost precision or the platter will wobble.

ID-Jazz
junior member
junior member
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 01:01
Location: Montreal

Post by ID-Jazz » 11 Aug 2008 14:21

anyone try the funkfirm version of platters to see(hear) what it does?

sq225917
senior member
senior member
Posts: 956
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 19:56

Post by sq225917 » 12 Aug 2008 19:17

i run mine with no mat, which is the same height as my glass platter was with no mat.

jenkovix
senior member
senior member
Posts: 410
Joined: 21 Mar 2008 18:02
Location: Ireland

Post by jenkovix » 27 Aug 2008 17:26


dbnh
member
member
Posts: 73
Joined: 28 May 2004 02:02
Location: New Hampshire

Post by dbnh » 28 Aug 2008 10:39

jenkovix wrote:Anybody using this?

http://www.ironaudio.com/Iron_Audio_NEW/pics_rega.html

Thanks
yes, works well with my kit. Note: I'm not using the felt with this piece in play.

El Matarife
junior member
junior member
Posts: 18
Joined: 05 Jun 2007 22:25
Location: Rega P2 land

Post by El Matarife » 28 Aug 2008 13:00

I was also thinking of buying the SRM tech 20mm acrylic platter - for use on a Rega P2.

Can anyone tell me why you don't need to use a mat with acrylic platters?

Thanks!

Post Reply