Universal new headshell for a SP25mk1.

the jewel in the crown
ReMC
Netherlands

Universal new headshell for a SP25mk1.

Post by ReMC » 07 Dec 2019 11:42

Hello people,

Is it possible to fit a modern new headshell to the arm of the SP25mk1? If so, which type and where to get one?

Thanks.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Universal new headshell for a SP25mk1.

Post by DSJR » 07 Dec 2019 17:11

I don't think so as the offset angle would be totally different even if you could find a compatible one socket wise... (the Garrard arms are rather shorter than modern 'Hifi' decks have).

Shells do come up (M7 type with cut-away skirt) on ebay and so-on, so getting a replacement shouldn't be an issue. eBay UK currently has a few full-skirt versions for sale, but I haven't looked on the equivalent mainland Europe site as yet.

These shells are rigid and sturdy and used to have inner mounts of different 'heights' to minimise the lean-down of the arm when playing a single record (cheaper than raising the platter height for one model, although they did in the belt drive models of the mid 70's I think)

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 08 Dec 2019 03:27

No. Don't do it. The Garrard's headshell has an offset angle built into it...the universal SME type headshells are straight, with no angle. It won't track right, it won't trip the auto mechanism. The M7 Garrard shells for that model are not hard to find. They were used on several Garrard models from Garrard's most popular years.

ReMC
Netherlands

Post by ReMC » 08 Dec 2019 16:53

Thanks for the replies. Indeed, I noticed the offset angle. However, there are also universal headshells with a very similar offset angle, e.g. Audio Technica. Hence my question.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 08 Dec 2019 17:36

Those don't fit Garrard arms, different arm than a Garrard arm. The SP-25 Mk I arm's headshell was also used in changers like the AT-60, AT-6, original Model 40, to name some examples. They're not a SME type, but Garrard did use them for several years and they're findable.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 08 Dec 2019 17:39

I was hoping one of the 'new' Lenco shells might fit an older 70's Lenco but then I looked at the plug and socket assembly, which look totally different - I have a collection of Lenco shells anyway so it was curiosity really.

When tonearms are designed, they have a certain offset and overhang geometry to them depending on the effective-length of the tonearm - stylus to pivot distance requires an individual offset angle in the shell. This can be compounded by the tracking arc of the stylus coupled with inner groove distances and there's a whole religion dedicated to two or three particular geometry methods of overhang for a given tonearm. I can't remember most of it now and Garrard of this period did it totally differently anyway so shan't bore you further.

Seriously, you'll gain nothing and make things worse even assuming a 'universal' shell would even fit. The M7 style shell is a rigid, perfect mass for the heavier duty 'pro' cartridges it should be used with (Ortofon OM Pro S at UK £32 or so is probably the cheapest of the current types the arm should easily handle, tracking at 4g or so and I used to recommend the Stanton 500V3 tracking at 3g but think they're now gone although there is a replacement I believe). Just make sure the mechanism is working fine, serviced and re-lubed and I'd suggest the trip pawls on the main cam are clean and *dry* so they rattle - loads of threads here and on the UK vintage radio site regarding sorting these mechs out as all the 'Autoslim' models are broadly the same, of which the SP25 is one...