Zero 100 Record size issue

the jewel in the crown
Mikecl
United States of America

Zero 100 Record size issue

Post by Mikecl » 30 Nov 2019 12:35

My issue is the dial when turning it has no resistance looking under the turntable the cam that should fall in the grooves of the knob it feels very gummed up I'm not sure how to get this part to move freely again?

A70BBen

Re: Zero 100 Record size issue

Post by A70BBen » 30 Nov 2019 14:30

There is a record size lever that in operation is supposed to "fall into" notches on the speed/size cam, under the knob. It gets stuck by dried grease. I do not have access to an illustration on my phone, that will have to wait until I get to the desktop after my nine-hour work shift. You may be able to figure it out sooner!
Last edited by A70BBen on 30 Nov 2019 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mikecl
United States of America

Post by Mikecl » 30 Nov 2019 14:34

Yeah it's that part that should be pushed into the notches by spring pressure that's not going into the notches.. I have that part disconnected right now and it moves a lot better but just hooking the spring up but the other parts still disconnected it's binding to where the part that should be pushed into the notches does not again..

I can't find a way on how to remove this part.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 01 Dec 2019 12:28

This area of the deck is a prime one for seized gummed up parts due to what I call 'Garrard Glue.'

Be very careful, especially if it's an SB with plastic parts!

I don't have mine to hand to talk you through it, but the speed mech should come apart in layers and a solvent cleaner aerosol (one that leaves no deposit) may aid you here as well as you take parts off for cleaning. Have a look at the exploded parts diagram in the library here - https://www.vinylengine.com/library/gar ... -100.shtml

There's a long V shaped plate (I call it Star-Trek Logo shaped) which connects the various record size 'steps' on the control segments to the mech via a long rod which runs diagonally to the 'arm end' of the mechanism. This should also pivot freely and if it doesn't, the arm won't index 7" records properly (both my AP76 and 86SB suffered thus, but I learned and cleaned this with the jammed solid Zero 100 speed/size assembly). It's part #234 in the parts list in the library here (selector follower with rod)

When cleaned and sympathetically re-lubed (Superlube seems fine here if the old stuff is fully removed first), the speed/size knob should clunk its way round positively - and I mean 'clunk!' It's not slick like a Dual, but it works and seems reliable over the decades, hardened grease aside! I haven't mentioned the fine speed adjustment control and must admit I've not needed to touch the one on my deck as it works perfectly.

Good luck. Please be aware that if this part is gummed up, the rest of it will be too, especially the start-stop assembly under the platter to the top right as viewed from above (part #79 in the parts list (stop lever with spring). This lever should lightly 'click' from one side to another and on my Zero 100, had jammed to the post it's supposed to pivot on and I needed to heat it gently to prise it away (watch the open coil spring and secondary plate)

Another place to look for gummy grease is washer #186 and the sliding plate underneath #191? Stiction here gives jerky auto-lifting of the arm, which is all but thrown upwards out of the groove before the arm is swiftly taken back to its rest. Proper attention here and the arm lifts quickly but smoothly under auto control.

Mikecl
United States of America

Post by Mikecl » 01 Dec 2019 12:39

I got just about everything right but the record size is not right.. the arm that should Move into the notch of what size you have on the dial it does not if the turntable cycles and I hold it in the notch that’s when it will cycle correct.. other than that it always starts at a 7” record setting.

Mikecl
United States of America

Post by Mikecl » 01 Dec 2019 13:00

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 01 Dec 2019 17:06

That lever looks a bit tight still to me, but I can't check it just now on my decks. My AP76 is in storage most of the time and for the first few cycles, it doesn't behave properly although it sorts itself out eventually - I'm too damned lazy to take the bottom off the plinth so I can get to the mechanism - cough...

That rod and linkage you're manipulating should, as far as memory serves, be totally free to move and pivot at each end and as you indicate, the spring lever prevents anything jamming up. Looking at your video again, I'm certain that one or both pivoted levers is gummed up and 'tight' as a result and one thing to check first is removing the link at the speed selector end and seeing if the drag is there or at the tonearm end, in which case take huge care with the wire trip link rod so as not to bend it..

Sorry for being vague here. When I received it, my AP76 was also pretty gummed up and I took a lot of the mech off to clean it. The mech is basically the same and only differs in small details on the tonearm bearing sleeve tolerances and the trip slider rod thickness and cam mounted trip parts I believe (I've never stood both side by side for a definitive comparison).

If it'll show, here's my AP76 with half the mech stripped out -

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 01 Dec 2019 17:20

P.S. the lever that gives the positive indents on the speed/size knob is barely pictured above but is part #213 (index lever) I think and this should be free to move under spring tension.