Shure m97xe best cart for the money?

the thin end of the wedge
spittenkittens
long player
long player

Shure m97xe best cart for the money?

Post by spittenkittens » 01 Sep 2015 20:00

I am one of those who has a limited budget, I have a few vintage cartridges I really like. I have given each some time over the last years. Many sound good, might have some shortfall i.e. no more oem stylus. Buy every time I come back to the Shure m97xe I find no weakness, And replacement stylus are fairly priced. Here:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/shure_m97xe_e.html
are some reviews part down the page that says "in the press..." It is up to you to believe what you read or not. But for us on a limited budget I find it hard to beat. There are a few more cartridges I would like to try, I don't think it will ever happen. And maybe I don't really feel the need to either.Shure does years of experience and r&d, there not starting from scratch. There are a few other budget that are good, but the Shure is my pick.

Searing75

Re: Shure m97xe best cart for the money?

Post by Searing75 » 02 Sep 2015 04:02

Unless your me and your capacitance load is above 400. The M97X sounds dull and lifeless. On he other hand my M75 sounds amazing!

spittenkittens
long player
long player

Post by spittenkittens » 02 Sep 2015 04:13

I have heard some people say that, I can't understand why when mine sounds so good.
All I know is it works for me!! But Shure did make a lot of good carts. My m55e sounds very close to the m97xe.

DualSpinsMyVinyl
United States of America

Post by DualSpinsMyVinyl » 02 Sep 2015 05:22

I am one of the advocates of the M97xE. I am on my second one, the first was purchased several years ago and suffered from the proverbial quality control disease. The second was purchased two years ago and is still going strong. The cartridge works very well in my system. I did however break down and move to into the JICO SAS group and although the cartridge sounds amazing with the stock stylus the JICO stylus moves it into a whole new level of listening enjoyment. So try it and judge for yourself before you fall into the naysayers trap.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 02 Sep 2015 08:09

DualSpinsMyVinyl wrote:I am one of the advocates of the M97xE. I am on my second one, the first was purchased several years ago and suffered from the proverbial quality control disease. The second was purchased two years ago and is still going strong. The cartridge works very well in my system. I did however break down and move to into the JICO SAS group and although the cartridge sounds amazing with the stock stylus the JICO stylus moves it into a whole new level of listening enjoyment. So try it and judge for yourself before you fall into the naysayers trap.
Hi DualSpinsMyVinyl,
That F-8 cart's still sitting there looking forlorn then I take it :(

rocky01

Post by rocky01 » 02 Sep 2015 15:44

Dull and lifeless? C'mon.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 02 Sep 2015 16:48

Shure has for sure ( :) ) a smooth and easy-going enjoyable sound. They might not be everyone's cup of tea, they're not the last word in detailing or transparency, but if they work for you then be happy. :)
Last edited by raphaelmabo on 02 Sep 2015 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Pan K

Post by Dr Pan K » 02 Sep 2015 16:48

I have one, actually got it from VE member bauzace, and it is by no means dull or lifeless. I do prefer it over the 2M Red and Blue actually as it sounds more organic, less artificial if you prefer.

My personal "el cheapo" classification is

Red ed- AT 95e- Shure 97xE- Denon 103R and then for the entry level high end the Shelter 501 (II, have not heard the mk3 yet)

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 02 Sep 2015 17:11

If purchased at a favorable price, it is. Adding even more value is how far it can be taken with aftermarket styli.

spittenkittens
long player
long player

Post by spittenkittens » 02 Sep 2015 17:16

Come to think of it I can't ever say I have heard any cartridge that is dull and lifeless. Maybe my ears are bad. I have heard some that are to bright, and a few that lack the lowest bass and some that don't track well. I truly believe that what we"like" is a matter of personal taste. If there was a cartridge that could be proven to be perfect I am sure some people would not like it. Since stylus need to be changed ever 1000 hours or so the cost of a new stylus is of some concern to me. For me the Shure m97xe has both great sound and realistic cost for replacement stylus. Even then there is the dampened brush. It does work as advertised I do use it on occasion to play a slightly warped record.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 02 Sep 2015 18:39

I think the viscous damped brush is really the "killer feature" of the M97xE. It allows the cartridge to play well with such a wide variety of tonearms, in addition to improving the tracking performance and controlling dust/static. Lots of other cartridges have brushes, but the genuine Shure brush is a totally different animal that none of the others can match, and that includes aftermarket clones of the Shure brush.

I guess the question of whether it's the best cart for the money depends on what the buyer's budget is. If someone has a budget of $200, I can think of at least one cartridge that offers more bang per buck than the M97xE. Or if their budget is only $50 and they can't afford to spend more than $20-$30 on replacement stylii, there are a couple of carts that are at least 95% as good as the M97xE. Then there's the issue of what kind of system they're running and whether the cart will match their system well. Lots and lots of variables.

But there really is nothing else that compares to the M97xE feature-wise if you're looking to spend more than $50 but less than $100. The M97xE definitely owns that slot, without question. And I think that's significant because $50-$100 is a pretty typical cart budget for a lot of people. The M97xE is a huge seller, and rightfully so. It's not perfect and it's not a match for every system out there, but that's also true of every other cartridge ever made in the history of audio. Still, it manages to do more things right than wrong.

spittenkittens
long player
long player

Post by spittenkittens » 02 Sep 2015 23:25

Mostly I posted this link for others to read the reviews of others if so inclined. I think it is clearly better than some more expensive cartridges. I am sure others will disagree and that's fine too.

Searing75

Post by Searing75 » 03 Sep 2015 03:08

The point of my post was to point out that if your total capacitance load is over, say 300, then the M97X is going to suffer. The tone will indeed be dull and lifeless at that high a capacitance level. This is common knowledge.

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia

Post by Delta667 » 03 Sep 2015 11:09

Shure I love for what he as an ax )) and firewood can be chop a and to smear butter! But recently I learned that all the disposable Shure as disposable syringes (( Why ??! They are not reparable. They laid the self-destruct mechanism, which is triggered after a certain time of Shure. This is reflected in the loss of one of the channels ! Repair of the cartridge can not be. I am theirI refit but with great risk !

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Sep 2015 11:12

The Shure M97HE Era IV and the Shure V15 Type IV also used the dynamic stabilizer brush. =D>