the home of the turntable

lmao stereophile

the thin end of the wedge

Re: lmao stereophile

Postby avole » 24 Feb 2012 13:06

He probably knows a lot about the cartridge, it was the replacement stylus that threw him.

Anyway, here's the complete text:

"A word about the Shure V15VxMR: After spending a week listening to it in the VPI Classic 3, I've come to respect it far more than before, though I've always thought it was pretty good. It tracked incredibly well at 1.25gm, resolved detail and spaciousness (contrary to the reputation of MMs), and its response sounded remarkably flat, with deep, taut bass and extended highs. It was slightly recessed in the upper mids/lower highs, but hardly dark, as some online commentators have described it.

Shure stopped making replacement styli for the Shure V15VxMR more than a few years ago (footnote 1), but Jico, a Japanese company that specializes in replacement styli, began making a replacement, complete with brush-damper, for $159.99. Another company, Super Analogue Stylus, makes a $144.95 replacement stylus for the V15VxMR that's apparently better (don't ask me why it costs less).

I got one of the Jicos from LP Gear. Perhaps it needed to break in and I didn't have time to do that for this column, but out of the box it sounded a bit brighter, more forward, and less supple than the standard stylus, but still very good. If you own a V15VxMR, don't let it lie around gathering dust because you can't replace its stylus. You can!"

Seems a pretty decent review to me, if you forgive him the one error.
avole

Postby jake » 24 Feb 2012 17:32

Fremer is an interesting guy. He loves vinyl to death,so he belongs to a small club that I'm a member of. Like most journalists, he rarely changes his mind, so if you disagree with him you'll find him abrasive. No use getting worked up about it. 90% of the equipment he revues does not interest me, but I've learned, and agreed with him, in areas where our experience collides (like his opinion on damping all Sumiko MMT arms). He's probably the only vinyl guy that you can walk up to any magazine stand and read.
There's room for a writer to review everyday equipment, everyday tweeks, for middle class guys. Online there's a few guys trying (you go, VE!), but the niche could use a younger Fremer at the nationally syndicated level.
jake
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby avole » 24 Feb 2012 18:22

I prefer Art Dudley. The equipment he reviews tends to be far less esoteric.
avole

Postby Hanuman » 24 Feb 2012 19:37

avole wrote:I prefer Art Dudley. The equipment he reviews tends to be far less esoteric.

I'd agree with that. In this review:
http://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylis ... index.html

the following passage about the SPU Meister Silver: "... it's one heck of a fine pickup: All the bass notes and treble sparkle that had gone missing with the Classic A were present and accounted for here." gave me enough confidence to buy one and I was not disappointed. The SPU is one of the loveliest components I've ever had.
Hanuman

Postby Doug G. » 26 Feb 2012 12:27

Right. If you are going to put it out there as a relatively authoritative person, you should take the trouble to research your information to get it correct.

This, "Oh he's too high above the common man to worry about such lowly equipment" stuff is BS.

Doug
Doug G.

United States of America

Postby jake » 28 Feb 2012 18:30

Latest Stereophile has honest evaluation of Marantz 8b from 1964. Just when they seem out of touch, they go retro and get my interest, like the long piece on rebuilding Quad 57's last year. Art Dudley is a retro righteous dude.
jake
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby EdAInWestOC » 02 Mar 2012 14:15

I read Stereophile every month. I know there are going to be lots of reviews of equipment I have no chance of buying but I also watch Top Gear and know I'm not about to buy a 250,000 vehicle anytime soon.

Its interesting reading about the high end of the hobby and I have no intention of sticking my head in the virtual sand because I won't be buying that gear. I want to know what is possible and what the absurdly expensive gear looks like.

For whatever reason we like to gawk at the yachts at anchor or stare at the super cars. Its just interesting to see the extreme high end of anything. Stereophile is not a magazine that reviews brown box gear for sale at your local Walmart. If you subscribe to Stereophile for that purpose you have wasted your money.

Ed
EdAInWestOC
contributor

United States of America

Postby awkwardbydesign » 02 Mar 2012 20:58

Dr Pan K wrote:if i want an opinion i ll stick with VE's seasoned members

Oh God!
awkwardbydesign

Postby Dr Pan K » 02 Mar 2012 21:59

awkwardbydesign wrote:

Oh God!

am i in serious trouble or what ?
Dr Pan K
contributor

Greece

Postby pivot » 02 Mar 2012 22:03

Would you like that in "orignal classic flavor" the new "extra crispy"?
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Dr Pan K » 03 Mar 2012 00:23

i went with the extra crispy (bought a jico or was it a sas, not so sure...)
Dr Pan K
contributor

Greece

Postby lini » 03 Mar 2012 16:54

Dr Pan K wrote:(...) (bought a jico or was it a sas, not so sure...)

*giggle* Sweet one. ;)

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
long player
long player

Germany

Postby davetruestory » 03 Mar 2012 17:39

I suppose everyone here can hear the micro dynamics between each note and the air between each cymbal hit.
davetruestory

Puerto Rico

Postby avole » 03 Mar 2012 19:03

I'm OK on the crotchets but bit hazy on the hemisemidemiquavers
avole

Postby luckydog » 03 Mar 2012 22:10

I only hear the tacets :wink:

I don't read, and seldom have read, audiophile literature. It raises my blood pressure for all the wrong reasons. That's not lust or envy, in case you're wondering !

I'm just passionate about sound.
luckydog

PreviousNext

Return to Cartridges and Preamps