I got the call, my JD9 arrived at the Needle Dr and I drove right over there and picked it up. It was heavier than I expected, and when I opened it up I was surprised by the quality for the $$.
I was also surprised that mine looked a little different on the inside than the ones on the other posts.
The first thing I did was put in the new caps, I just put the wires where the stock ones had come out:
I put the B-Quiet on the bottom of the inside & the Parts Express stuff on the bottom of the outside. I didn't like the shiny look of the B-Quiet so I put the ERS over that.
You can see the ferrite cores I put in two places. I also hate vibration so I added Blue Tack. The top has been sprayed with Quiet Kote on the inside and I glued carbon fiber strands over that to disrupt EMI & RFI, I painted over that with vinyl spray for outside furniture.
The stock Tung-Sol tubes sound pretty good, but the highs roll off pretty quickly. I tried the Tele's but they were a tad bright, next the Mullard's which had the bass of the other sets but were smoother, the Ei's had a little too much midrange and the Mullard 4004 were also too bright. I settled on the regular vintage Mullard's.
Even with the few things that I have done so far- I am DELIGHTED with the way this preamp sounds. Talk about a great value, the SQ of this unit blows away the PS Audio I just sold. It has excellent bass authority, silky mids, and nice definition on the highs.
I was going to replace some of the wires on the input, but it is a hornets nest in there so I probably will just do the output wire as that looks pretty simple. I got some nice cryo treated Neotech wire for that.
My op-amps have not all arrived yet, I had really good luck with the OPA627BP in my Ah! Tjoeb so I am going to use a set of those in the middle.