Battle of Budget TTs - Audio Technica AT-LP60 vs. Denon 29F

always listening
bjh1014

Battle of Budget TTs - Audio Technica AT-LP60 vs. Denon 29F

Post by bjh1014 » 29 Aug 2014 16:14

Hi guys,

My daughter is turning 13 and I want to get her an entry-level turntable. I realize that neither of these models have tracking force or anti-skating adjustments and that the cartridge can't be replaced. I just want to get her a solid performer that's going to sound better than the unusable Pyle (of crap) portable unit that we recently returned to Amazon.

I've got it narrowed down to the Audio Technica AT-LP60 and the Denon DP29F. They seem virtually identical but I was wondering if anybody has any experience in comparing these two models and can offer any thoughts on the matter before I pull the trigger. Thank you in advance!

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Battle of Budget TTs - Audio Technica AT-LP60 vs. Denon

Post by musicmn » 29 Aug 2014 20:26

Hi I don't know where in the states you live but why don't you look into buy a nice vintage turntable. Check out Craigs list in your area and see what's available you might find something nice for a decent price. I think one of the biggest problems with turntables like the ones you are looking at are so cheap and sound like such crap that they actually turn people off the world of records. I understand that she is only 13 and at that age they can change there minds about stuff every 5 minutes. But if you get a half way decent turntable it might start something that she hangs onto a long time. This is just my opinion.

bjh1014

Post by bjh1014 » 29 Aug 2014 20:46

Thank you for that suggestion. However, I don't want somebody else's problems. I want a new, low maintenance TT. Although it may not be audiophile level, I've read that both of these models actually have pretty decent sound.

jwspicer1

Post by jwspicer1 » 29 Aug 2014 21:08

Seen several reviews rating the AT pretty high for an entry-level device. No, tables like the U-Turn Orbit or AT's own 120 will beat it, but they are also fully manual. Not exactly kid friendly.

Lucky here we have a Frys and they had both on display. The Denon was it's typical all-black placticky self. Not bad, but for a Denon, a wee bit of a disappointment. I know the AT is similar, but actually looks and feels better to me. Truthfully, I bet the innards are actually pretty similar if not the same (the overall design, arm design and all really look the same). Either one would do the job, but from a looks and overall impression, I'd do the AT.

Post by Guest » 29 Aug 2014 21:47

I would avoid turntables of that type - I saw the Sony version in the flesh and it wasn't nice. How about the Gemini TT-1100USB for about $135 at Amazon? It may look a bit ugly but at least it has an S-shaped tonearm and what looks like an Audio Technica AT91 cartridge. It has both good reviews and bad reviews, but I guess you're not going to get much better at this price unless you buy secondhand.

bjh1014

Post by bjh1014 » 29 Aug 2014 22:10

Thanks guys. I have decided to go with the AT, especially because I was able to get it for $95!

Spin33

Post by Spin33 » 29 Aug 2014 22:13

The AT-LP60 was my first TT. I didn't keep it long as I didn't like the sound, and in fact gave up vinyl because it didn't seem to be anything special. Even sold the few records I had acquired along with the TT. I'm lucky I was talked into giving vinyl another shot, and later regretted selling my albums. The AT almost killed the hobby for me before I got started. Take that for what you will.

smeg68

Post by smeg68 » 30 Aug 2014 04:32

When I was 12 I inherited my father's Goldring Lenco GL78. I never had any issues using it. Don't shortchange your daughter with 'entry level' tables which are not much better than toys.... get on ebay or CL and get her a proper vintage deck.

bjh1014

Post by bjh1014 » 30 Aug 2014 13:59

smeg68 wrote:Don't shortchange your daughter with 'entry level' tables which are not much better than toys.... get on ebay or CL and get her a proper vintage deck.
The LP60 gets 4.5/5 stars with 1,136 reviews on Amazon. It also gets favorable reviews on cnet and other reputable sites.

I appreciate your opinion, but I certainly don't think I'm "shortchanging" my daughter, especially since this entry level player will be a huge improvement from the Pyle portable unit that was not even usable.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 30 Aug 2014 15:57

Yes, but it is still a limiting factor. An AT PL-120 is about the cheapest competent deck. The AT-PL 60 or the Denon 29f is a bit too bottom end.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 30 Aug 2014 15:59

bjh: I would rather have suggested something like a used Technics SL-BD20 or similar plus a new AT92E(CD), 'cause that way you would have got a entry-level hifi table with light-tracking cart instead of a model that rather belongs to the "consumer stereo class" and has hardly any upgrade potential. Then again, you could have done worse - and with teenagers one can't be sure, which of their interests will only be temporary and which will remain, anyway...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

sombunya

Post by sombunya » 30 Aug 2014 17:32

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”.

Not sure where you live but a manual TT does away with a lot of the cost. With some judicious shopping you could find a good quality used manual that would outperform the Denon for about the same price.

I just have an aversion to any kind of automatic TT.

bjh1014

Post by bjh1014 » 30 Aug 2014 18:23

Believe me, I am never one to be penny wise and dollar (pound?) foolish. However, I would rather err on the side of caution and get her a basic automatic for ease of use and to protect our budding vinyl collection. Spending $100 keeps the risk low in case she gets bored with it or, better yet, she gets really into the hobby and eventually wants to upgrade to more quality equipment.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 30 Aug 2014 19:18

bjh: Well, and in the end you would know your girl better than we do, anyway. Still, you need to understand that the regulars on this forum (and those are the people you can usually expect to get most replies from...) will always rather presume a certain demand for hifi quality and will typically also keep the aspect of upgradeability in mind. So rather than on Cnet, Amazon, Ebay or wherever else average consumers dominate, an ethusiast forum like this will typically deem "technically superior" more important than "brand shiny new out of the original box, untouched and just my treasure", although that's just as legitimate a personal preference...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

smeg68

Post by smeg68 » 30 Aug 2014 21:58

bjh1014 wrote:
smeg68 wrote:Don't shortchange your daughter with 'entry level' tables which are not much better than toys.... get on ebay or CL and get her a proper vintage deck.
The LP60 gets 4.5/5 stars with 1,136 reviews on Amazon. It also gets favorable reviews on cnet and other reputable sites.

I appreciate your opinion, but I certainly don't think I'm "shortchanging" my daughter, especially since this entry level player will be a huge improvement from the Pyle portable unit that was not even usable.
Don't take those peoples word for it, they don't know what a decent turntable is to start with or they wouldn't have purchased the AT, much less been happy with it. Check this thread out if you want opinions from a reputable site:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=434591