Pro-Ject Elemental

carboniferous
Audirc
broken record

Pro-Ject Elemental

Post by Audirc » 12 May 2013 13:13

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/pro ... ley-killer

This is interesting... A cheap ass Pro-Ject to be sold at Target. I'll probably buy one and hook it up to a Bose Lifestyle system with ultra low expectations. But for $200 for a non-plastic POS, it may have some merit. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this table is a good or bad idea for PJ to make, snobbery aside.
I think it looks cool, has decent parts for the price and $200 is throw away $$$ in this hobby. Sad to say, I may be looking forward to its release?

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Pro-Ject Elemental

Post by rewfew » 12 May 2013 17:54

Interesting marketing niche. The 20's segment is a strong contender for record sales isn't it? May be this is a hook to pull them in with more longevity and upgrade's in mind. I think it's a great idea, and is good for the future of analog. Beat's the p*ss out of money spend on a Crosley.

Audirc
broken record

Post by Audirc » 13 May 2013 00:08

Yep, that's what I thought... I want one!

steve-z

Post by steve-z » 12 Oct 2013 11:22

Certainly looks like it will fit the bill as a no nonsense second string deck, perhaps for checking out the quality of used vinyl before subjecting the main deck to it, looks cool in silver or red, as everything is preset the only thing you could change is the mat and the stylus, I will look out for the first mag review with interest. Makes the Rega RP1 look decidedly expensive, I'm pretty sure that's the target market.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 15 Oct 2013 16:46

Or, for $179, there's this:

http://uturnaudio.com/store/orbit-basic-turntable-black

The Crosley-bashing is well deserved, but I think it's even worse to see people tricked into buying supposedly "better quality" turntables from Sony/Pioneer/Audio-Technica/Denon that aren't any better than those made by Crosley. I'm talking about this, this, this, and this. I was almost convinced by the owner of a local hi-fi shop to spend $280 on that "Denon" turntable, and thank God I went home and did some research to find out that they're all made in the same Chinese factory and just "brand engineered" to look slightly different and be appealing to different types of customers. They all have the same short&straight tonearm, the same crappy non-replaceable cartridge, and the same issues with warped platters, speed fluctuations, etc. Quality-wise they're no better than the $99 Crosley, but thousands of people buy them because they LOOK like good quality audio gear and they THINK they're doing something nice for their record collection by spending a little extra.

Jommeke

Post by Jommeke » 21 Feb 2014 21:13

Hi,

Are there here people who have experience, or even own & use a Project Elemental?

If so; what do you think about it?

And what type of cover is included, does it it's job? Strangely enough after a lot of googeling I could not find a lot about the Elemental. Not even a picture of the turnable with the cover that according the FAQ on the Pro-ject Audio website is included. The manual of the Elemental does not speak of it. But there must be something to protect it from dust.

Jommeke

Post by Jommeke » 22 Feb 2014 20:07

I got information from an other source that is a fine turntable for its price. But that is not come with a dust cover.

So you need to buy separate cover. And then you can better buy the Essential that does come with a cover.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 22 Feb 2014 21:18

Audirc wrote:http://www.analogplanet.com/content/pro ... ley-killer

This is interesting... A cheap ass Pro-Ject to be sold at Target.
Is Target actually selling these? (or any other big-box stores, for that matter?) I've never seen them in my local Target, and I don't see them on the Target web site either.

For that matter, I can't seem to find any US online vendors that are selling it either. Amazon UK has it, but Amazon US does not.

One advantage this does have over the U-Turn Orbit, at least for buyers who are new to vinyl and/or on a tight budget, is the built-in pre-amp with USB. The lack of a dust cover is a pretty serious bummer, though.

Jommeke

Post by Jommeke » 23 Feb 2014 20:32

BMRR wrote:
One advantage this does have over the U-Turn Orbit, at least for buyers who are new to vinyl and/or on a tight budget, is the built-in pre-amp with USB. The lack of a dust cover is a pretty serious bummer, though.
The Elemental (also the Essential) exists in 2 versions; with and without a build-in pre-amp with USB.

The Elemental without pre-amp costs 199 EUR, with pre-amp it is 249 EUR. I suspect the internal hardware is this;
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?pro ... no&lang=en

Those external pre-amps comes more expensive then getting the version build-in the turnable. External without USB is 68 EUR, with USB is 88 EUR (prices Amazon Germany) At least for the Elemental.

Strangely, for the Essential the price difference between the version with (349 EUR) and without pre-amp (249 EUR) is the double of the Elemental.