the home of the turntable

Rega RP-6 terrible quality

snap, crackle and pop

Rega RP-6 terrible quality

Postby vinylch » 06 Jan 2013 23:11

I found out today that my new purchased RP-6 has a problem, the Glass-Platter is of axis with the base by 2.6mm. This means the Main Bearing drilled hole is not in a 90° Angle to the base.

Anyone hat the same problem and is there a way to get this solved by myself?
vinylch

Re: REGA RP-6 terrible quality

Postby nat » 07 Jan 2013 00:19

If it's a new purchase, can you simply take it back to the seller? Sounds defective to me...
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby Catcher10 » 07 Jan 2013 00:36

Who cares...just get another one, u have a bad one. Usually Rega TT are pretty good, somehow this one just slipped by QC
NAD C356BEE NAD C545BEE
Music Hall mmf-7.1~Nagaoka MP200
Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
Grant Fidelity TubeDAC11
Epos Epic 2, Morrow Audio Cables
Catcher10

Honduras

Postby vinylch » 07 Jan 2013 00:58

Well I fixed it myself. The bearing hole was not drilled exactly as I already cased.
I used a special tool the increase the hole and refitted the main bearing.
After adjusting the bearing now its ok.

Again QC is not as it was from REGA, this is simple cheap produced stuff.
You can bay an Chinese one for 500 bucks that is made with better quality.

Im not the first one that is reporting this, and yes in the past the QC was good.
Also the Main-Bearing is a friction of the quality the used before.
vinylch

Postby AS71 » 08 Jan 2013 16:30

Wouldn't it have made much more sense to exchange it for a new replacement than trying to carry out your own DIY repair on it ?

Surely that's going to mess you up should you need any future problem sorting out under the warranty
AS71

Great Britain

Postby tomytoons » 08 Jan 2013 22:09

I have not heard problems on the RP6 but many with the RP3's all related to the platters and bearings.
Pathos Classic One MKII, Clearaudio Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm, Usher CP6371, Monolithic/Modwright Mod & Custom PS, Cinmag stepup, ATOC9/ML II, Dyna 10X5, Marantz SA15 S2 Ltd., all "Silver Series" WyWires.
tomytoons
contributor

No Flag

Postby JoeE SP9 » 08 Jan 2013 23:01

I would return any faulty new device for replacement. While I'm technically competent and comfortable with tools, repairing new gear is not an option.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird front: Acoustat Spectra 22, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. Behringer CX2310, DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby vipergg22 » 11 Jan 2013 04:17

Wherefor art thou Technics ???
vipergg22

United States of America

Postby james73_2008 » 12 Jan 2013 01:10

vinylch wrote:Well I fixed it myself. The bearing hole was not drilled exactly as I already cased.

Why didnt you take it back and get it replaced? I'm smelling bullshite here...

vinylch wrote:Again QC is not as it was from REGA, this is simple cheap produced stuff.
You can bay an Chinese one for 500 bucks that is made with better quality.

Utter garbage.

AS71 wrote:Surely that's going to mess you up should you need any future problem sorting out under the warranty

He's immediately invalidated the warranty, I'd imagine.

James H
james73_2008

Cuba

Postby nabil » 12 Jan 2013 16:16

james73_2008 wrote:
vinylch wrote:Well I fixed it myself. The bearing hole was not drilled exactly as I already cased.

Why didnt you take it back and get it replaced? I'm smelling bullshite here...

James H

James,

I agree-something smells with this post-I sense that this poster is trying to pull our chains...
nabil

United States of America

Postby digiman » 12 Jan 2013 16:41

This smells like BS. Anyone sensible would just get the dealer to replace it.
God knows what has be going on with Vinylengine the last months. More and more BS threads and replys from people who clearly are only here to be internet Trolls.

As far as i know there have been next to nothing regarding issues with the RP6.
digiman

Postby tomytoons » 12 Jan 2013 19:51

It's not BS there have been Rega 6 issues too. As a matter of fact the exact issue mentioned by "vinylch"
I know just about first hand via picts.
NOT BS!
Rega needs to tighten up their QC!
Pathos Classic One MKII, Clearaudio Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm, Usher CP6371, Monolithic/Modwright Mod & Custom PS, Cinmag stepup, ATOC9/ML II, Dyna 10X5, Marantz SA15 S2 Ltd., all "Silver Series" WyWires.
tomytoons
contributor

No Flag

Postby watercourse » 12 Jan 2013 20:15

Why does it seem to some VE members here that anyone having even the least criticism of Rega products is a troll, misinformed, or just plain wrong? Isn't this a bit rude to other members to question them and their motivations? Sh*t happens, and that's why people post their problems, so they can get help, advice, and support from other members.

While I probably would have brought the RP6 back to the dealer, I can also see where making a slight adjustment to fix a problem if I had the skill to do so would not void a warranty, if they couldn't tell that I made the adjustment. To me, removing and re-installing the bearing is fairly innocuous, similar to taking the subplatter out and reinstalling it for lubrication.

I have also heard about similar RP6 quality issues as the OP described. The best we can do is report these back to Rega and hope that they respond to buyer concerns in a meaningful and timely manner so that their reputation is not affected negatively - only positively by a response.
WT Simplex, Shelter 501 II, DV20xl, Benz ACE SL > Aleph Ono, Bel Canto PL1/DAC3 > Pass X1 > XA30.5 > DeVore Nines
: Beyond measurements and theory, there's intuition and feeling:
watercourse
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby digiman » 12 Jan 2013 20:33

tomytoons wrote:It's not BS there have been Rega 6 issues too. As a matter of fact the exact issue mentioned by "vinylch"
I know just about first hand via picts.
NOT BS!
Rega needs to tighten up their QC!

Please give me some references stating that there are many reported RP6 problems compared to the 100/1000s sold. I know there have been some RP1 and 3 issues but never heard of widespread RP6 QC problems.
Of coarse things can be faulty or manfacturing QC has let something out that should of been rejected, but that there are QC conserns about the RP6 is completly new to me.
digiman

Postby digiman » 12 Jan 2013 22:12

watercourse wrote:Why does it seem to some VE members here that anyone having even the least criticism of Rega products is a troll, misinformed, or just plain wrong? Isn't this a bit rude to other members to question them and their motivations? Sh*t happens, and that's why people post their problems, so they can get help, advice, and support from other members.

Are VE members so over protective about Rega?
The only reason i am responding is because i am very suprised.
I know the distributor of Rega very well (personaly for years) in the country i live and we spoke about Rega QC the other day and he mentioned that the RP6 has been great and so far they have only had one back of hundreds sold because of a faulty motor.
digiman

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising