Has anyone tried mounting their SME 3009 more rigidly.

snap, crackle and pop
goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Has anyone tried mounting their SME 3009 more rigidly.

Post by goatbreath » 10 Apr 2012 23:22

It could maybe clean up that warm lazy sound it seems to have with me no matter what cartridge I use..The Rubber inserts on the base for screw mounting,,has anyone tried experimenting with an alternative.. :?:

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Has anyone tried mounting their SME 3009 more rigidly.

Post by Coffee Phil » 10 Apr 2012 23:58

Hi goatbreath,

It looks like I have. It is mounted on the plastic surface on my KD 500 armboard. Sorry I can't give you any comparison as I bought it used and probably didn't know there were supposed to be rubber grommets. There are small metal flat washers in the area where SME must have intended the grommets. The screws appear to be #4 round head wood screws.

It seems to work fine.

Phil
goatbreath wrote:It could maybe clean up that warm lazy sound it seems to have with me no matter what cartridge I use..The Rubber inserts on the base for screw mounting,,has anyone tried experimenting with an alternative.. :?:

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 11 Apr 2012 08:01

A long time ago when I had a 3009 Improved I took the grommets off and it did seem to firm/sharpen the sound up a bit.

I've since heard that the grommets were SME's final line of defence against the vibrations from an idler drive.

JT

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 11 Apr 2012 10:17

Thanks for both the replies guys...The rubber as a line of defence makes a lot of sense..The metal washers,,maybe something thicker and then glued would cause less vibration..I may get round to experimenting at some point.. :D

LousyTourist

Post by LousyTourist » 11 Apr 2012 12:23

I have an idler and SME, and I experimented with the grommets both on and off. I bought some bronze washers to allow the same little wood screws to hold the tonearm when the grommets weren't there.

I actually liked it best w/o the grommets and that's how it's been to this day. YMMV.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 11 Apr 2012 12:44

Grommets removed in my SME IIIs.

Easy to reverse - try it and hear for yourself.

JPK

Post by JPK » 11 Apr 2012 19:55

Alfred Kayser @ http://www.smetonearms.com is very knowledgeable on the SME arms, plus he has a large inventory of various parts, mounting hardware, etc. It may be worth seeing what other mounting kits(?} are available.

Joe

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 12 Apr 2012 10:50

Thanks folks,,I'm looking at pictures to try and see how the series V and it's derivatives mount..But can't see close in to see if there is rubber there and whether it is screws or bolts that fix it to the arm board.HMMM????.

Any help here.?? :D

Nevr had the money to consider a Series V .. :lol:

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 12 Apr 2012 13:03

I would agree that the rubber grommets were SME's way of trying to isolate the arm base from the vibrating sound board (arm board) as most plinths were of the large wooden variety, and prone to vibrate. I resent the implications that it was to reduce the effects of idler drives, as I am an idle driver myself! :D but concede it has a grain of truth.

When arms are mounted on vibrating plinths/arm boards, vibrations enter the arm, with obvious consequences. Using rubber grommets isolates the arm to some degree, but allows the geometry between arm/cartridge and vinyl/shellac to be compromised. Rigid coupling will only be of benefit if the plinth/arm board is non-resonant, most are not!

I'm afraid the warm lazy sound is mostly to do with the arm design itself, described as way short of the mark, by modern standards.

FSonicSmith

Post by FSonicSmith » 12 Apr 2012 18:53

I'm afraid the warm lazy sound is mostly to do with the arm design itself, described as way short of the mark, by modern standards.
Really? Short yes, but "way short", I don't know. I do know that Alfred Keyser (referred to above) rewired and rehabbed my dad's old 3009II and told me that in his opininion coupled with the solid brass base he sells, that the arm can compete with the best. Naturally, he is a bit biased. I know also that I have two tables-a VPI Classic and a TD124 with the SME 3009 and yes, the VPI with modern 10.5 inch arm throws a more intricate and realistic soundstage and has more detail, but the Thorens/SME combo is more dynamic and punchier. And yes, warmer, but definitely not "lazier".

john guest

Post by john guest » 12 Apr 2012 22:11

Hi ,
Soundsupports have two aluminum arm plates 'TD160 / SME Mounting Plate ' and the

'TD160 / SME Solid Mounting Plate' I use the solid (no grommets fitted )

A Plate for mounting an SME 3009 Arm without the Rubber Grommets in the SME Bed Plate. Opinions vary but most people including Soundsupports agree that this method of mounting gives superior sound quality to the standard Grommet mounting. Comes with screws for fixing arm to Plate. Also suitable for Thorens models - TD145 / TD146 / TD147 / TD165 and TD166. As this Plate is tapped with M3 threads it is also suitable for the newer SME Arms such as - Series M2, Series 300, Series IV and Series V.

Sounds really Nice
Regards,
JohnG.

john guest

Post by john guest » 12 Apr 2012 23:35

The SME 3009 when left alone can be what it is, an arm for High compliant cartridges with as quoted above warm lazy sound.

However like the Thorens TD 160 super, it is very very upgradeable in many many ways. I have mentioned before in the forum, satisfaction of vinyl replay is achieved in many ways, the enjoyment of improving this arm, has given me extreme satisfaction.I have listened to many decks, new and old with different combinations of arms, and believe me, this arm can be made to be very musical.

Regards,
JohnG

VinylIsTheBest

Post by VinylIsTheBest » 13 Apr 2012 00:41

My SME 3009 is mounted very rigid to a Sound Support on my Thorens TD-160. Not using the rubber grommets, it's screwed down tight. Sounds great! Excellent product and looks amazing!

You can see in this picture my mounting.