the home of the turntable

Sparta ST-220 Tone Arm?

snap, crackle and pop

Sparta ST-220 Tone Arm?

Postby evilw » 19 Feb 2012 12:48

I recently removed a few TTs from my storage Pod (climate controlled) and among them was a pair of REK-O-KUT B12Hs with SPARTA ST-220 tone arms.
The arms look like new and have Stanton 600 carts with 600As.

Are these decent tone arms to use with the REK-O-KUTS?

Thanks,
-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Re: Sparta ST-220 Tone Arm?

Postby nat » 20 Feb 2012 17:17

There is one way to find out, and that is to try them. I would suspect that, despite the flyer's mention of high compliance cartridges, it would suit medium compliance cartridges. What high compliance meant back then was less high than what it means now.
The condition of the bearings will be very important, but I bet that the arm would be comparable to plenty of other arms, like ROK's Micropoises, that many people use with satisfaction.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby evilw » 21 Feb 2012 01:42

Thanks Nat,

These had been installed on the ROK B12Hs at the Radio Station where I bought them and appear to be in great shape. I am still trying to determine if these TTs or the Gates CB-77 will be staying in my set up for 78s/45s and older 33s. I use a Michell Transcriptor Hydraulic on my better vinyl.
Thanks again for the input!
-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Postby mosin » 21 Feb 2012 01:52

I have one of those, and it is the original Audio-Technica 1005, which was later sold under a variety of names, including Sparta, Syntec and Piezo. There were probably other names, as well. The tonearms were used on broadcast turntables all over, so they are easily found on the used marketplace for very attractive prices. Anyway, it is an extremely competent tonearm for the money.
mosin
contributor

United States of America

Postby evilw » 21 Feb 2012 02:13

mosin wrote:I have one of those, and it is the original Audio-Technica 1005, which was later sold under a variety of names, including Sparta, Syntec and Piezo. There were probably other names, as well. The tonearms were used on broadcast turntables all over, so they are easily found on the used marketplace for very attractive prices. Anyway, it is an extremely competent tonearm for the money.

Thanks!
How would you say it compares to a Micro-Trak 303?
-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Postby mosin » 21 Feb 2012 04:39

I also have one of those, and I prefer the Sparta.
(I remembered that it was also sold as a Sedco.)
mosin
contributor

United States of America

Postby evilw » 27 Feb 2012 21:26

I finally took a photo of the Sparta Tonearms.
-EW

evilw
contributor

United States of America

Postby hags » 27 Feb 2012 21:51

I think they're great arms. I have rewired both of mine with 33 ga litz and upgraded/replaced the bearing balls.

There was an immediate and obvious pay off with the rewiring. The arm seemed smoother after the bearing upgrade as well. These arms are 35-45 years old(?) and the wiring was discolored and noticably stiff and brittle.

Absolutely fantastic sounding, especially considering the price you can find them for. Also, there seem to be alot floating around that are new in the box or those that have never been installed.

If you don't want to keep one or both drop me a PM.
hags

United States of America

Postby evilw » 27 Feb 2012 22:02

hags wrote:I think they're great arms. I have rewired both of mine with 33 ga litz and upgraded/replaced the bearing balls.

There was an immediate and obvious pay off with the rewiring. The arm seemed smoother after the bearing upgrade as well. These arms are 35-45 years old(?) and the wiring was discolored and noticably stiff and brittle.

Absolutely fantastic sounding, especially considering the price you can find them for. Also, there seem to be alot floating around that are new in the box or those that have never been installed.

If you don't want to keep one or both drop me a PM.

Great info!
Thanks,
-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Postby hags » 27 Feb 2012 22:10

I've also found the lack of anti-skating to not be an issue at all.
hags

United States of America

Postby satanfriendly » 27 Feb 2012 22:24

I have one of those, and it is the original Audio-Technica 1005

Are you sure Mosin as it doesn't look anything like the 1005 I used for some 20 years or so. The most prominent thing on the AT being the sliding weight on the arm. In second thought I did have the MkII if I remember so obviously not the original version.

Still I must admit I have never heard of Sparta, but judging by the photos they do look very nice for their age. In the back of my mind I recall a similar (if not the same) arm on E-Bay here in the UK recently.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby evilw » 27 Feb 2012 23:18

satanfriendly wrote:
I have one of those, and it is the original Audio-Technica 1005

Are you sure Mosin as it doesn't look anything like the 1005 I used for some 20 years or so. The most prominent thing on the AT being the sliding weight on the arm. In second thought I did have the MkII if I remember so obviously not the original version.

Still I must admit I have never heard of Sparta, but judging by the photos they do look very nice for their age. In the back of my mind I recall a similar (if not the same) arm on E-Bay here in the UK recently.

S.F.,
I don't know about AT 1005, but the arm was also sold as the Syntec S-220 and Japan Piezo PU-402.
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sparta/st-220.shtml
BTW, Is that my friend Bryan Moore in your Avatar? (another topic)

-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Postby satanfriendly » 01 Mar 2012 02:38

Is that my friend Bryan Moore in your Avatar?

To be honest I wouldn't know as I just trawled the web to find something suitable and up it came.

So I Googled Bryan Moore and a 'church of Satan!?'. I just didn't know I had such a secret following. Wait until the wife gets to know this one.

In passing the AT1005 was one of the best arms I have come across. may be not sonically, but in terms of flexible, ease of use, longivity, build quality etc it is a hard act to beat. As good as SME's in many respects. I believe it is still loved and in daily use over in Spain at this moment.

As per my previous reply, looks like you may have a winner here judging by the similar type of standard for such an old arm.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Return to Turntables and Tonearms