the home of the turntable

How can a t/t plinth be "Over-damped"? SP10

snap, crackle and pop

Re: How can a t/t plinth be "Over-damped"? SP10

Postby Blue Angel » 10 Feb 2012 23:59

timbloke wrote:I've spend many a night dancing to a pair of 1200s/1210s sat on trestle tables that are 5 or 6 feet away from 6k sound systems. if damping was a problem I didn't notice it.

Dampening of a turntable progresses inversely and automatically to dancing and alcohol intake. In other words, the more you drink and the more you dance, the less noticeable dampening becomes until you arrive at a solstice or equilibrium point. This is reached when you and your partner both fall down and the needle skates uncontrollably across the record.

The opposite of the dampening phenomenon occurs when the owner of said turntable and his or her partner cop a bucket of cold water BEFORE commencing dancing and the partaking of alcohol. The latter, in essence - is where dampening or no dampening becomes noticeable and where stuffing of chewed tablets of Stimorol into the plinth becomes necessary.

ba
"If you don't like my principles, I have others" - Groucho Marx
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Re: How can a t/t plinth be "Over-damped"? SP10

Postby timbloke » 11 Feb 2012 01:10

Can you use Stella as a damping fluid? There's a man on ebay selling plastic bags of golden coloured fluid in bags with inkjet labels marked 'special acoustically null liquid formula'.
timbloke

Previous

Return to Turntables and Tonearms