Yo cable cognoscenti:
Ultimate shipped the cable 10/27. It evidently got held up at border, because it did not arrive until Monday 11/7. That's ten days in shipment in mail. But, that said, it was a nice looking piece, just exactly as Loo described it. So, I removed the old cable and went to install it, and had to turn the turntable upside down. This is a 2-arm rig. I took off the turntable, making it easier to handle the deck. This allowed me to stand the deck on its side and work beneath it. When I tried to push the new cable into the socket in arm, I discovered that the plug was REALLY tight, and I wound up pushing the arm up and destroying my VTA. Ultimately, I made the connection, but I had to remount the arm. This involved reinstalling the arm and adjusting the VTA again. Of course, it involved rerouting the new cable.
I also decided to revise the grounding system for the rig. I had previously had ground of Thorens arm, (5th wire) connected to chassis of Garrard turntable, and a ground wire from turntable chassis that ran alongside my Grace arm cable (attached to it with cable ties) that connected turntable chassis to amp. I changed that. I ran a 5th wire from Thorens arm ground along arm cable to chassis of amp. I disconnected Thorens arm ground from turntable, grounding Thorens arm directly to amp chassis. I ran a separate ground wire from turntable chassis to amp chassis, and the 5th wire of Ultimate cable on Grace arm to chassis. This means that I now have 3 ground wires coming off this turnmtable rig, attached in a star fashion to amp chassis. Seems a little quieter than it was before. I also have a Thorens TD 150 with a Linn arm connected to second phono input on Hafler preamp. That also has a ground wire, making 4 ground wires attached to amp from 2 turntables.
After all this revision, I set the turntable up, and plugged it in, and guess what? It didn't go around. That was about midnight Monday night, so I quit in disgust. This evening, I traced the problem to the power cord on the Garrard, which was the original 54 year old power cable. I replaced that with a new 18 gauge power cable with a molded plug, and rewired the motor, hooking to the power block, using the old lug connectors and resoldering them.
I just hooked the newly plugged and adjusted rig and listened to the new arm cable. The first thing I noticed was the increased presence of the right channel. Evidently this right side cable has been biting the weenie for some time, and I just hadn't noticed that the right channel had gradually gone away. Now a nice even sound side to side and a better center fill. The Neutrik clone RCA connectors on the arm cable are quite close but do not interfere with each other, which I am always scared of with these "premium" RCA connectors, which are often to big for "standard" dimension RCA plug strips like I have on my turntable arm switch. The outside ot the RCA connectors is noncondutcive, so I don't have to insulate the connectors from each other, like I have to do on the metal RCA plugs I have on the Thorens arm. RCA connectors go into jacks all the way, and make nice tight connections. Looks good and sounds good, so I am satisfied. I will have to listen for a while to analyze sound. I notice what seems to be greater bass fullness than previously, but I think this is because I am now getting full output from right channel.
An old friend used to tell me that you should make any job you do look "like a mechanic done it." He was using the term "mechanic" in the old-fashioned sense of "craftsman." This job meets that criterion, and the Ultimate cable looks good, sounds good, and is emninently satisfactory. It is a little short, but I had sufficient cable to make the hookup I needed. All told, about a 4 hour job.
So good luck from that pleased and satisfied rewired old guy, with a new power plug,