Thorens TD 190 - Need help, can't remove the subplatter

music box
VVG
Russia

Thorens TD 190 - Need help, can't remove the subplatter

Post by VVG » 03 Nov 2019 21:10

Hi folks,

Anyone has any idea how to remove the subplatter on a TD 190?
Figured it's about time to oil the bearing, what with my TD being 18 or so years old, but haven't had any luck so far.
The platter comes off nicely, as does the plastic washer ring (or whatever it's called) that sits on the spindle flush with the subplatter.
The subplatter however is either stuck or held by something from the inside, perhaps a nut or a screw, but there are no openings on the bottom of the plinth.
I don't feel like disassembling the whole thing, only to find that the bearing sits in a sealed casing and can't be tampered with.
Then again, the guy at my local high-end store which carries Thorenses happily sold me some hi-end oil and said it will be great for a 190.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

user510

Re: Thorens TD 190 - Need help, can't remove the subplatter

Post by user510 » 07 Nov 2019 20:17

Well...I'm not at all familiar with that model, but I do recall that with the TD160, beginning with the mkII iteration, there was a safety catch located on the subchassis that was designed to prevent the subplatter and brg assembly from falling out should the turntable become inverted. I suspect that this is what you are looking for.
-Steve