TD150 Mk1 with issues and needing restoration

music box
user510

Re: TD150 Mk1 with issues and needing restoration

Post by user510 » 22 Oct 2019 19:02

One thing I found out long ago is that when diving into restoration of any of the Td150 and Td16x models is that your cheapest resource for the parts you need is...wait for it....another TD150 and Td16x player. One, presumably that actually has the parts you need. And now you know what to check for before you buy it.

Just a thought.
-Steve

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 22 Oct 2019 21:02

user510 wrote:
22 Oct 2019 19:02
One thing I found out long ago is that when diving into restoration of any of the Td150 and Td16x models is that your cheapest resource for the parts you need is...wait for it....another TD150 and Td16x player. One, presumably that actually has the parts you need. And now you know what to check for before you buy it.

Just a thought.
-Steve
That is not a surprise. However, where I live (Australia), these are really scarce and an original, unrestored one comes up only every 3-6 months, so it's not really feasible. I can source heaps from overseas, but the shipping costs, GST, import duties and risks make it unfeasible. The ones that occasionally turn up need restoration, not breaking apart for parts. I know I could make money from breaking them apart and selling the bits for parts, but I am not that kind of guy and prefer the salvage and restoration of these, now valuable, pieces of history.

user510

Post by user510 » 22 Oct 2019 22:05

oztayls wrote:
22 Oct 2019 21:02
user510 wrote:
22 Oct 2019 19:02

Just a thought.
-Steve
That is not a surprise. However, where I live (Australia), these are really scarce and an original, unrestored one comes up only every 3-6 months, so it's not really feasible. I can source heaps from overseas, but the shipping costs, GST, import duties and risks make it unfeasible. The ones that occasionally turn up need restoration, not breaking apart for parts. I know I could make money from breaking them apart and selling the bits for parts, but I am not that kind of guy and prefer the salvage and restoration of these, now valuable, pieces of history.
My first TD150 I bought over eBay for $99.00. It came to me without a tonearm. No dust cover. But otherwise intact and with good bearing and good motor.
Typically these turntables are of interest to those who like to tinker. The standard tonearms aren't that popular. The original Tp13 isn't respected by anybody. The TP13A that came on the mkII gets more respect and sometimes even praise, yet most Td150 owners prefer to upgrade cheaply to much better tonearms.

Motors, as you've experienced, sometimes arrive damaged. Typically, if not damaged, these motors will last indefinitely, only needing the occasional drop of oil and replacement of the timing cap and the pop cap. Otherwise there is a good probability that the best deal you can find on a Td150 motor will be on another Td150. And, it is fairly common to find these turntables in less than 100% assembly. Ebay is your friend just be certain to quiz the seller about motor condition.

I'm not so sure that TD150s are all that rare anywhere. They did get around all over planet Earth. I know of another Oz resident that specializes in TD150s and perhaps he may be of some assistance to you. His name is Tim Bailey and he hangs out over on Audio Asylum.

-Steve

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 22 Oct 2019 22:59

The 150s are especially rare here in Oz because they were not imported in huge numbers. Not so for the 160s which are prolific.

The TP13 and TP13A arms are better than most people think when set up correctly. They have all the elements of a good design and they came with the best headshells ever designed. The TP13 just doesn't look particularly cool, but well serviced and set up on a nicely sorted and tuned 150, it can perform to a high standard. Sometimes, it is just the looks of the TP13 that give it a bad rap. The low-slung counterweight gives the arm a very low COG, an element of design that all but eliminates warp-wow. Not many arms achieve such a low COG. You can read about this design aspect by looking up Edgar Villchur's extensive articles on his AR turntables and tonearms. About the only part of the design that I'm not particularly fussed with is that bearing clip at the base of the arm post. However, it does work somehow.

medwaybeat

Post by medwaybeat » 23 Oct 2019 08:24

Why not use the motor from the 160? They are not that different.

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 31 Oct 2019 01:22

I managed to source a very nice, quiet-running TD150 motor for what is a reasonable sum. Well, reasonable for a Thorens TD150 motor! So it is now on with the restoration :)

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 02 Dec 2019 16:22

I have a new old stock motor I can sell or you can buy a Linn 50Hz motor it will work and play at the right speed. I have a TD150 with a Linn motor powered by Hercules power supply and works great.

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 02 Dec 2019 18:57

Thanks Robert, I did eventually source the correct motor, complete with pulley. Plenty of options for 50Hz motors available but wanted to avoid the associated drive ratio issues if I could :)